5398THINKING UPSIDE DOWN: Wednesday Quote

  • sherab_mia
    Aug 27, 2014

      "There are the realities of aging, of illness, of not getting what we want, and of getting what we don’t want. These kinds of difficulties are facts of life.

      "The Buddhist teachings say that this is not really what causes us misery in our lives. What causes misery is always trying to get away from the facts of life, always trying to avoid pain and seek happiness—this sense of ours that there could be lasting security and happiness available to us if we could only do the right thing.

      "In this very lifetime we can do ourselves and this planet a great favor and turn this very old way of thinking upside down.

      "Instead of asking ourselves, 'How can I find security and happiness?' we could ask ourselves, 'Can I touch the center of my pain? Can I sit with suffering, both yours and mine, without trying to make it go away? Can I stay present to the ache of loss or disgrace—disappointment in all its many forms—and let it open me?' This is the trick."

      ~Pema Chödrön, "Excerpted from Practicing Peace in Times of War"

      From the web site, Turn Your Thinking Upside Down