Altar - 365 Tao - June 20

  • Sue in NJ
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2012
      June 20
      Say 171

      ALTAR

      Each day I forge my body into steel
      And fold in bright strands of consciousness.
      Piling up ripe fruit and fragrant flowers,
      Lighting red candles and incense,
      Serving tea, rice, and wine.
      Anointing with aromatic oils,
      Offering heart and bones,
      The altar is my anvil, sun and moon the coals,
      Discipline the hammer, lungs the bellows.

      Followers of Tao have private altars in their homes. The pious see
      an altar only for supplication; the skeptical see the altar as false and
      insincere. Actually, devotional effort is absolutely necessary for those
      beginning on the path.

      True spiritual cultivation begins with the premise that you already
      have a pure spirit and only need to clear away obfuscations. Thus one
      must work on both the physical and mental levels in order to achieve the
      quickest results. Such varied efforts need a strong center. By focusing
      on the altar as the platform for all practices, you will keep yourself
      strongly on your path. The outward acts then pile up like offerings
      after offerings, and the outward votive furniture becomes your means of
      memorializing your efforts. Then your body itself becomes a steel altar,
      an unshakable monument to spiritual devotion.

      365 Tao: Daily Meditations
      Deng Ming-Dao
      ISBN 0-06-250223-9
      http://www.365tao.net/