Re: [DX70] Re: Multi-Function Switch Problem (and other issues)

  • k5lcl@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2009
      Did you replace the switch, or have it replaced by someone else?  I'm asking because If it is not TOO difficult, I would just as soon replace it myself, as send it off for repairs.  Does DeOxit help?
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2009
        I haven't replaced mine I don't use it enuff to justify fixing it.

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 12, 2009
          DeOxit WORKS!!!

          I took the face plate off, then took it apart.  The Multi-Function switch is just a simple multi-pole switch, as far as I can tell.  I sprayed DeOxit on the center of the metal knob "stem", after I took the plastic knob off.  I turned the switch numerous times to let the DeOxit get into the switch, then blew it out with compressed air.  I repeated the process 3 more times, then re-assembled everything.  The switch works correctly about 98% of the time now, which is a HUGE improvement over the way it was working.  After I went through the whole process, I realized I could probably leave everything connected, and just pull the plastic knob off the Multi-Function switch and spray DeOxit in/on the switch while it was still on the radio, then just blow it out.

          Also while I had the radio apart, I noticed that it DID have the wide band modification as described in numerous other places, where a couple of solder junctions were removed.  Some day, I may get the nerve to re-connect those solder junctions, to put it back to factory specs!