Re: DVRPTR V1 and software not talking

  • dstarradio
    Message 1 of 19 , May 12, 2013
      Can you send me the files I also just bought a board from Bruce last week and have no idea what firmware is on it. It came with no info.
      I fell left in the dark with a board I know nothing about.

      dstar@...

      Thanks.

      --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Robert Copelan <rcopelan@...> wrote:

      > I received the XDVRPTR driver from Bruce. Will update the firmware and
      > give it another shot.
      >

      > On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM, skycom291980 <skycom291980@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > What your needing from what I see from what you posted is you need to
      > > update your control center to the next latest version as there is a newer
      > > one out. You then need to change the firmware to the XDVRPTR firmware Not
      > > the DVRPTR firmware and last when you plug you board in then your computer
      > > will then see the board and want a new driver and not use the one you used
      > > last time and you will need a driver called xDVRPTR-32-64-2 After all that
      > > I know your software will work. I have all these files.
      > >
      > > Dean
      > > KF9L
      > >
      > > --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "wb4dhc" <rcopelan@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have just received the DVRPTR board this week and installed the driver
      > > DVRPTR_CDC. When plugging the board into USB OR power it gives on red led
      > > flash.
      > > >
      > > > In Windows' Hardware list the card does show up as COM10. When I unplug
      > > it that entry goes away so at least it is communicating with the PC.
      > > >
      > > > I installed Version 2.0.4813.37809 (3/6/2013) of the software and
      > > configed it per the manual. It does not find the modem either in automatic
      > > mode or fixed to COM10.
      > > >
      > > > Any thoughts on the problem would be appreciated.
      > > >
      > > > Robert
      > > > WB4DHC

    • fpohlmann2
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 30, 2013

        Hi everyone,

        I'm new to this group and to the D-star world.

        I'm trying to set up a hotspot here.
        Where do I register my callsign?
        What is D-plus call for?
        The only documentation in the file section of this group does not help much, it's
        for a different version I'm using which is 2.0.4.501.39823.
        I'm completely lost, could someone give some help?

        Thank you in advance

        Flavio VE2ZFP

      • Raul [M0ZZM]

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 31, 2013
            Hi Raul,

            I'm using DV-RPTR Control Centre Ver 2.0.4501.39823, OS here is
            Ubuntu. Sorry about the wrong topic, the software does talk to the board.
            Actually I want to setup a simplex link, registered callsign hotspot.

            Thank you  for answering.

            73 and happy new year

            Flavio VE2ZFP
          • Raul [M0ZZM]
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 31, 2013

              Thanks Flavio.

              I was wondering if you had a driver problem indeed, glad to hear it's all fine.

              In answer to your questions:

              - The D-Plus callsign is the one you registered with the US-TRUST network. This allows access to call sign routing and use of networked facilities to their full potential. Registration of this callsign, likely to be your own, is through the sysop of your nearest repeater or anyone with access to a registration gateway who can help you with this.

              - If you have a license for your gateway and a separate callsign, then you register the unit viaircddb.net , there is a page dedicated to this, you will receive a username and password that has to be entered in your gateway software.

              I hope this helps.

              73
              Raul M0ZZM

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 31, 2013

                Hi Raul,

                Do I need a separate license for my gateway? Different callsign? why would I need one?

                Is this really necessary? The more I know the more confused I get.

                I know there is a difference between hot spot mode -private callsign- and simplex link.

                What I want to do is the simplex link. in order to set up one do I need the ircddb registration?

                I've done the US-TRUST network registration already but the approval is still pending.

                Sorry for asking so many questions.

                Thank you so much for your time and patience.

                Flavio VE2ZFP

              • Raul [M0ZZM]
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 1, 2014

                  Good morning Flavio,

                  We have all been through this, and asked many questions.

                  Terminology is a bit tricky, and even mine can be off-standard - providing that there is a worldwide recognised standard at all in a world made of local regulation :-)

                  However, in principle and in no particular order:

                  1. Simplex and hotspot are not mutually exclusive. Simplex is opposed to duplex, where the former indicates that RX/TX happen on the same frequency at different times (i.e. the system can either TX or RX at any one time) and the latter indicates that RX/TX happen on different frequencies at the same time (e.g. the system may have a 5MHz split between RX and TX and anything heard on RX is simultaneously broadcast on the TX frequency, this is also called a repeater). Regarding "hotspot", I think it's widely used to indicate a system that has very limited range, such as a house and immediate vicinity. I am not sure if it has anything to do with simplex or duplex, think of when you make a VoIP phone call over a WiFi, that's a duplex communication on a hotspot. This is to say that the difference may be more in the terms rather than the communication system.

                  2. Technically you can setup a simplex system by using either your own callsign to identify it or a dedicated and licensed gateway callsign. Subject to regulation in your country there may be some differences (e.g. power, equipment, call routing, third party use, etc.); unfortunately I am not qualified to advise how this works in Canada but I am confident that the major amateur radio association (the equivalent of ARRL in Canada) will be able to advise. If you registered your callsign with a local US-TRUST repeater, consider that the sysop will surely know how it works and should be able to help.

                  3. Registration with ircDDB is only possible if you have a licensed system's callsign. There's some history to this but what is important to you is that you don't necessarily need ircDDB registration; if you want to experiment with full gateway functionalities you can use alternative networks such as QuadNet - note this may still be subject to local regulation and you should check that first. Local regulation in some places not only determines the RF setup of your system but also who/what you can let through your system and how you route calls to remote locations via the network.

                  Best is to check what can be done within your regulatory framework, then all the rest can be trimmed to your requirements.

                  For setting up your gateway the best group is ircddbgateway where you will find expertise and help on that particular subject.

                  73
                  Raul M0ZZM

                  Hi Raul,

                  Do I need a separate license for my gateway? Different callsign? why would I need one?

                  Is this really necessary? The more I know the more confused I get.

                  I know there is a difference between hot spot mode -private callsign- and simplex link.

                  What I want to do is the simplex link. in order to set up one do I need the ircddb registration?

                  I've done the US-TRUST network registration already but the approval is still pending.

                  Sorry for asking so many questions.

                  Thank you so much for your time and patience.

                  Flavio VE2ZFP

                • Will
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 1, 2014
                    To the group,

                    A QuadNet Admin is here to assist if any one has questions on the Network.  Please be advise more information on the basis of the Quadnet can be viewed on the two web sites below.

                    http://quadnet.no-ip.org/status.html and http://stn570.dyndns.org:81.  Thanks and 73

                    Will / W4WWM

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2014
                      Thank you Raul,