AMBE-Addon Microphone

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
      Hi Don,

      --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "vk7yxx" <vk7yxx@...> wrote:
      > - Kenwood-style speaker/mics are cheap and readily available, in fact I suspect most would already have one. Good quality ones can be had for $20, cheap ones for $10.

      Here a some disadvantages of this solution:
      - both jacks must be used together, no separate speaker is possible
      - no additional keys (for volume control)
      - possibility of damage the jacks
      - an integrated speaker needs a separate NF-PA (the integrated Class-D is differential driven; no GND)

      > - I see compatibility with the existing AMBE board as a big advantage, assuming the goal is to continue the DVRPTR V1 project rather than change its direction. If things progress and an upgraded AMBE board becomes available, I'd rather buy the new AMBE board, slide it into my existing box and plug my existing connections into it without modification, rather than get another mic and external speaker and modify the box (if it fits).

      You're right - in case of replace the old board it's not ideal: A new front plate and a new microphone is needed.

      > - Having to connect a separate external speaker to use the DVRPTR in AMBE mode is painful, particularly for portable/mobile operations. The less connections required the better, and the Kenwood-style connections can be used separately if desired.

      I know, the best spkr/mic solution don't exists... A combination of a High-Ohm Speaker + Up/Down keys with an RJ45 for a low price...

      So I open for ideas. A combination of a 4-pin 3.5mm jack + RJ45 + 3.5mm Speaker...
      In the case of using a shared PTT/Mic line, a Volume-Poti is impossible and the firmware must support this (problem XDVRPTR FW).