power supply

  • Fran Miele
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 13, 2013
      Bruce,  do you have a source for power supplies for your board?

      --Fran, W1FJM

    • Bruce Given
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 13, 2013
        Hi Fran
        No I have not really looked into that for a number of reasons
        generally speaking a good 12volt 500 to 900ma wall wart does the job quite well
        let me know if you are having problems locating one and I will see if can assist you

        regards
        Bruce

        I’d rather live in a world full of eccentric thinkers than one full of unthinking consumers.
      • Fran Miele

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 13, 2013
            Why dont you power it by usb.

            --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Fran Miele <fran@...> wrote:

            > ok, thanks.
            >
            > --Fran
            >

            > <http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ccdl.us%2F>
            > <http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.miele-family.com%2Fweather>
            >

            > IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential.
            > They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received
            > this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and do not
            > disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
            >

            > On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Bruce Given <bruce.given@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi Fran
            > > No I have not really looked into that for a number of reasons
            > > generally speaking a good 12volt 500 to 900ma wall wart does the job quite
            > > well
            > > let me know if you are having problems locating one and I will see if can
            > > assist you
            > >
            > > regards
            > > Bruce
            > > VE2GZI
            > >

            > > --
            > > I'd rather live in a world full of eccentric thinkers than one full of
            > > unthinking consumers.

          • Fran Miele
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 13, 2013
              needs 12v power

              --Fran

              On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Pierre <petem001@...> wrote:

              Why dont you power it by usb.

              --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Fran Miele <fran@...> wrote:

              > ok, thanks.
              >
              > --Fran
              >

              > <http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ccdl.us%2F>
              > <http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.miele-family.com%2Fweather>
              >

              > IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential.
              > They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received
              > this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and do not
              > disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
              >

              > On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Bruce Given <bruce.given@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hi Fran
              > > No I have not really looked into that for a number of reasons
              > > generally speaking a good 12volt 500 to 900ma wall wart does the job quite
              > > well
              > > let me know if you are having problems locating one and I will see if can
              > > assist you
              > >
              > > regards
              > > Bruce
              > > VE2GZI
              > >

              > > --
              > > I'd rather live in a world full of eccentric thinkers than one full of
              > > unthinking consumers.

            • Bruce Given
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 13, 2013
                Hi Fran
                the DVRPTR_V1 can be powered from USB , Its not recommended but it can be done
                the picture of the mod is in the files Section in the DVRPTR_V1 Yahoo group

                Hope this helps

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 13, 2013
                    I know that mine from the german team is running on usb. There was a place to jump on yhose board to make it run on usb. But that was just if you wanted to run a hotspot with out the ambe board. Like in a repeater or such...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
                      Hi Pierre,

                      --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Pierre Martel <petem001@...> wrote:
                      > I know that mine from the german team is running on usb. There was a place
                      > to jump on yhose board to make it run on usb. But that was just if you
                      > wanted to run a hotspot with out the ambe board. Like in a repeater or
                      > such...

                      USB powering is not recommended for repeater / unmanned operation. If you use the board as Hotspot w/o Addons then you can use 5V USB.

                      The weak point of my design is the 78L033 linear voltage regulator - it's a 'normal' part (no low-drop), so for a stable 3.3V it need a good 5V source. USB-Power is sometimes (Hubs) a bit lower: In this case, it's possible that the DV-RPTR do a reset by a small source voltage drop.

                      I tested USB powering with some real HW (Notebooks, PCs) w/o any problems. Using "emulated" poor USB voltage (4.7-4.8V, 100mA) I can force a reset (by ST706T).

                      For PC software (using my open source firmware) it's possible to detect a reset and restore configuration in this case. But I think this feature isn't used in Jonathans or Kurt's software.

                      73,
                      Jan, DO1FJN
                    • Howard Small
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013

                        Does this mean that if I use a 5V 2A powered usb hub with no devices connected directly to the dvrptr board (all external devices connected to the dvrptr board via the hub), a usb A to usb B cable providing the data link to the board then that would be OK For powering the board? Or is that still not recommended?

                        Howard
                        VK4BS

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013

                          I have used usb power from a thin client with out issue for a few months before putting down my rptr last year. Its like every thing . First thing to check if something fail is the power supply . I would not run a dvrptr from a Rpi as any other type of device cause just the pi itself is not stable on usb..

                        • Jim Thisdale
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
                            This method works well, doesn't bypass/defeat the Pi fuse either.
                            Note a good hub won't 'back-feed' power from it's 'upstream' port and the Pi's microUSB connector
                            doesn't have any data connections, it is strictly power only.

                            ---------+ +------------------------
                            upstream|<----<|A,USB Raspberry Pi
                            USB A|>---->|microUSB power only
                            HUB B| +------------------------

                            D|>---->[USB, DVRPTR modem, power]<--- 12vdc

                            +5|<-- good 5 volt source, 2 or more amps.
                            ---------+

                            The fuse on the Pi is rated 1A, the Pi itself uses approx .7 amps. So even with a hefty power
                            supply, the Pi can theoretically only supply about .25 A total to the USB ports, that is only about
                            1/2 of what 1 port should be able to use, so best off to plug any significant load devices into the
                            powered hub.
                            This layout above works very well.
                            -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B
                            http://n1jmm.no-ip.org

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 16, 2013
                              Hi,

                              I think the RaspPI is more critical - a good / stable 5V source is needed (>700mA).
                              If the raspPI works, the 5V source is good enough to feed the DV-RPTR (30mA) too.

                              The DV-RPTR can't handle 'longer' "brown-outs" (voltage < 4.7V) very well. There is no problem with the (low) current consumption.
                              Another point are the USB-connectors: The USB-miniAB connector is not so stable like the USM-miniB...

                            • ka1ifq
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 16, 2013
                                I use my Ras Pi that way and have not had a problem. I power the Ras Pi
                                from one port and have a wireless dongle plugged into the hub for kb /
                                mouse.

                                Mike.

                                --
                                Sent from my Suse Desktop (12.1)