Re: [DVRPTR_V1] Best firmware

  • Darren Bisbey
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 13, 2013
      Without ambe?

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 13 Apr 2013, at 18:38, Fran Miele <fran@...> wrote:

      1.69b with AMBE board 1.69b

      --Fran, W1FJM

      On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Jim Thisdale <n1jmm1@...> wrote:

      1.10e works well without the ambe board 1.69b.

      -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B
      http://n1jmm.no-ip.org

      On 4/13/13 10:21 AM, djbisbey wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I run a node with a dvrptr v1 using g4klx solution. Can someone advise me which is the best and most stable firmware for the dvrptr v1 I am running 0.89 xdvrptr.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Darren - M0HPB

    • Howard Small
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 13, 2013
        Based on my experience (strange problems with echoing of transmissions when connected to a DCS reflector) I would recommend NOT using any version after 110e. This probably limits you to the G4KLX software - whIch is certainly not a bad thing...

        Howard
        VK4BS

        On 14/04/2013, at 0:48, Jim Thisdale <n1jmm1@...> wrote:

        1.10e works well without the ambe board running with G4KLX software.

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B
        http://n1jmm.no-ip.org

        On 4/13/13 10:21 AM, djbisbey wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I run a node with a dvrptr v1 using g4klx solution. Can someone advise me which is the best and most stable firmware for the dvrptr v1 I am running 0.89 xdvrptr.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Darren - M0HPB

      • Pierre Martel
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 13, 2013
          And freestar.. Wich is not a bad thing.

          Le samedi 13 avril 2013, Howard Small a écrit :

          Based on my experience (strange problems with echoing of transmissions when connected to a DCS reflector) I would recommend NOT using any version after 110e. This probably limits you to the G4KLX software - whIch is certainly not a bad thing...

          Howard
          VK4BS

          On 14/04/2013, at 0:48, Jim Thisdale <n1jmm1@...> wrote:

          1.10e works well without the ambe board running with G4KLX software.

          -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B
          http://n1jmm.no-ip.org

          On 4/13/13 10:21 AM, djbisbey wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I run a node with a dvrptr v1 using g4klx solution. Can someone advise me which is the best and most stable firmware for the dvrptr v1 I am running 0.89 xdvrptr.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Darren - M0HPB

        • Ramesh Dhami, VA3UV/M
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 13, 2013
            The Free Star* team has a number of dvrptr boards in service with v1.80k f/w. No issues....

            Cheers,

            Ramesh.

            From: Pierre Martel <petem001@...>
            Sender: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 20:59:18 -0400
            To: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com<DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [DVRPTR_V1] Best firmware

            And freestar.. Wich is not a bad thing.

            Le samedi 13 avril 2013, Howard Small a écrit :

            Based on my experience (strange problems with echoing of transmissions when connected to a DCS reflector) I would recommend NOT using any version after 110e. This probably limits you to the G4KLX software - whIch is certainly not a bad thing...

            Howard
            VK4BS

            On 14/04/2013, at 0:48, Jim Thisdale <n1jmm1@...> wrote:

            1.10e works well without the ambe board running with G4KLX software.

            -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B
            http://n1jmm.no-ip.org

            On 4/13/13 10:21 AM, djbisbey wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I run a node with a dvrptr v1 using g4klx solution. Can someone advise me which is the best and most stable firmware for the dvrptr v1 I am running 0.89 xdvrptr.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Darren - M0HPB

          • Howard Small
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 13, 2013
              Of course - and I agree!

              Howard

              On 14/04/2013, at 10:59, Pierre Martel <petem001@...> wrote:

              And freestar.. Wich is not a bad thing.

              Le samedi 13 avril 2013, Howard Small a écrit :

              Based on my experience (strange problems with echoing of transmissions when connected to a DCS reflector) I would recommend NOT using any version after 110e. This probably limits you to the G4KLX software - whIch is certainly not a bad thing...

              Howard
              VK4BS

              On 14/04/2013, at 0:48, Jim Thisdale <n1jmm1@...> wrote:

              1.10e works well without the ambe board running with G4KLX software.

              -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B
              http://n1jmm.no-ip.org

              On 4/13/13 10:21 AM, djbisbey wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I run a node with a dvrptr v1 using g4klx solution. Can someone advise me which is the best and most stable firmware for the dvrptr v1 I am running 0.89 xdvrptr.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Darren - M0HPB

            • Alan Matthews
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 14, 2013
                Guys

                Just to pick up on this email from Ramesh, I am running KLX software on the DVRPTR v1 board, running XDVRPTR DV V1.32 in hotspot mode without any problems, I haven't run freestar yet but will test it later.

                Alan M0AQC

                From: Pierre Martel <petem001@...>
                Sender: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 20:59:18 -0400
                To: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com<DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 15, 2013
                  Hi Howard,

                  --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Howard Small <howard@...> wrote:
                  > Based on my experience (strange problems with echoing of transmissions when connected to a DCS reflector) I would recommend NOT using any version after 110e. This probably limits you to the G4KLX software - whIch is certainly not a bad thing...

                  There is no relationship between the modem firmware and "DCS problems" - or I must say better: Should no. In practice some problems occur using the AMBE-Addon for 'talk to internet'.
                  The firmware is designed as a simple HF<->packet conversion to keep PTT-timing and timing critical operation away from PC.

                  So after V1.10e to V1.69b you should notice no difference.

                  Since V1.66 I have implement a "hardware half duplex" mode for radios, you "hear back your own transmissions"...

                  73,
                  Jan, DO1FJN
                • Howard
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 15, 2013
                    Hi Jan

                    Mamy thanks for the informative post. I had come to that conclusion after trying to find the cause of an intermittent problem I had over several months.

                    In a nutshell, my repeater would occasionally echo transmissons when connected to DCS014 causing the reflector to become unusable at that time. I tried everything totrack it down: swapped between ccs and ircdddb/repeater software, moved between ADSL and 3G, rebuilt the PC on which the software was installed, swapped between an original dvrptr board and the Canadian board. In the end a combination of ircddb/dvrptr/firmware 110e seemed to get rid of it.

                    Unfortunately I could not get any assistance in tracking it down and at various times was banned from DCS014 by its administrators and then, at their request, blocked from all DCS reflectors.

                    I have been running on reflector REF003 for a while now and have had a number of QSOs of varying length without any problem reports. It was for this reason I had concluded 110e was the solution. From what you tell me this now seems unlikely so I have absolutely no idea what the cause was. All I know for sure is that the problem started after I did upgrades of firmware and software.

                    So I am now as much in the dark as to the cause of the problem and can only hope that whatever caused it has decided to leave me alone for ever!

                    73

                    Howard