Re: radios

  • steve
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 27 7:54 AM
      hiya

      i have just orderd this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151015677553?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

      basicly

      what cable would i need for that to the board im getting from here i did email bruce but he never got back to me .. if someone could let me know email tibs01@... also ive orderd a programming cable...

      cheers
      steve

      --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wright <mccrpt@...> wrote:

      > I am working on using a MaxTrac with 5 pin connector. Many use the GM300s w/16 pin ACC connector, but the MaxTrac like M100 are less expensive, but require going inside to make connections. I just bought 2 on ebay for $18 ea.
      >
      > I will post in the FILES of the board connections inside the radio for TX data, RX data, PTT & COS (usually not needed).
      >
      > Working with GM300 is easier for it has all being brought out to 16 pin connector on rear.
      >
      > The draw back with Mot stuff is it requires getting RIB interface and software to program the radios. The RIBs can be had on ebay for $16 and software can be found for free, but not from Mot...they want $300.
      >
      > I have also used the Kenwood TM271, but for this type of application I prefer something I can turn power down to save PA. The 271 had limits of like 20W on low power after adjusting inside PA. Some think turning power down causes the PAs to get noisy. Does happen, but I find with commercial rigs have more flexibility. Ham rigs have nice features, but have very small heat sinks and cannot handle the higher powers with high duty cycle.
      >
      > 73, ron, n9ee/r
      > Ron Wright, N9EE/RBSEEMicro Computer Concepts352-683-4476mccrpt@...
      >
      > To: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
      > From: petem001@...
      > Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:31:04 -0400
      > Subject: Re: [DVRPTR_V1] radios

      > Motorola gm300 serie of radio.
      > Kenwood LMR serie with a kct-19 harness to have access to all the signal
      > easily (check homebrew d-star on youtube,) thats what I did.
      > Any ham radio that have a 9600 bps packet port.
      > a cheap chinese postable, but you will have to hack inside to find the
      > connection point for discriminator audio and modulator / ptt
      >
      > that's it for me.

    • la5lia
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 28 12:25 AM
        I use the Yaesy ft-7800 with exellent result.
        The Alinco DR-605 is NOT usable. Reason "one point modulation".

        73 de LA5LIA
        Steinar

        --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wright <mccrpt@...> wrote:

        > I am working on using a MaxTrac with 5 pin connector. Many use the GM300s w/16 pin ACC connector, but the MaxTrac like M100 are less expensive, but require going inside to make connections. I just bought 2 on ebay for $18 ea.
        >
        > I will post in the FILES of the board connections inside the radio for TX data, RX data, PTT & COS (usually not needed).
        >
        > Working with GM300 is easier for it has all being brought out to 16 pin connector on rear.
        >
        > The draw back with Mot stuff is it requires getting RIB interface and software to program the radios. The RIBs can be had on ebay for $16 and software can be found for free, but not from Mot...they want $300.
        >
        > I have also used the Kenwood TM271, but for this type of application I prefer something I can turn power down to save PA. The 271 had limits of like 20W on low power after adjusting inside PA. Some think turning power down causes the PAs to get noisy. Does happen, but I find with commercial rigs have more flexibility. Ham rigs have nice features, but have very small heat sinks and cannot handle the higher powers with high duty cycle.
        >
        > 73, ron, n9ee/r
        > Ron Wright, N9EE/RBSEEMicro Computer Concepts352-683-4476mccrpt@...
        >
        > To: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
        > From: petem001@...
        > Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:31:04 -0400
        > Subject: Re: [DVRPTR_V1] radios

        > Motorola gm300 serie of radio.
        > Kenwood LMR serie with a kct-19 harness to have access to all the signal
        > easily (check homebrew d-star on youtube,) thats what I did.
        > Any ham radio that have a 9600 bps packet port.
        > a cheap chinese postable, but you will have to hack inside to find the
        > connection point for discriminator audio and modulator / ptt
        >
        > that's it for me.

      • Ron Wright
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
          Steve,

          You will need a 16 pin mating connector w/cable that plugs into the rear of the GM300.  They are on ebay.  Try to get one with a cable for a repeater for these connectors are not that common although a 16 pin dual row on 0.1 in centers like used in computers will work.  but you can get a repeater cable that is made to connect 2 of these radios as a repeater and then use only half of it.  Most of the connectors on ebay for this radio mainly have only a couple wires to make the radio a base or mobile radio with mic.

          I assume you are trying to use with HotSpot so will need interface to the rear connector.

          Also you will need to program this radio with Motorola vintage software and need a RIB or interface unit.  One can get on ebay the RIB cable for USB.  It plugs into the front of the GM300 in the mic jack which is a RJ45 CAT5 type connector.

          73, ron, n9ee/r

          Ron Wright, N9EE/R
          BSEE
          Micro Computer Concepts
          352-683-4476
          mccrpt@...

          To: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
          From: sgibbs1@...
          Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:54:02 +0000
          Subject: [DVRPTR_V1] Re: radios

          hiya

          i have just orderd this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151015677553?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

          basicly

          what cable would i need for that to the board im getting from here i did email bruce but he never got back to me .. if someone could let me know email tibs01@... also ive orderd a programming cable...

          cheers
          steve

          --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wright <mccrpt@...> wrote:

          > I am working on using a MaxTrac with 5 pin connector. Many use the GM300s w/16 pin ACC connector, but the MaxTrac like M100 are less expensive, but require going inside to make connections. I just bought 2 on ebay for $18 ea.
          >
          > I will post in the FILES of the board connections inside the radio for TX data, RX data, PTT & COS (usually not needed).
          >
          > Working with GM300 is easier for it has all being brought out to 16 pin connector on rear.
          >
          > The draw back with Mot stuff is it requires getting RIB interface and software to program the radios. The RIBs can be had on ebay for $16 and software can be found for free, but not from Mot...they want $300.
          >
          > I have also used the Kenwood TM271, but for this type of appli cation I prefer something I can turn power down to save PA. The 271 had limits of like 20W on low power after adjusting inside PA. Some think turning power down causes the PAs to get noisy. Does happen, but I find with commercial rigs have more flexibility. Ham rigs have nice features, but have very small heat sinks and cannot handle the higher powers with high duty cycle.
          >
          > 73, ron, n9ee/r
          > Ron Wright, N9EE/RBSEEMicro Computer Concepts352-683-4476mccrpt@...
          >
          > To: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
          > From: petem001@...
          > Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:31:04 -0400
          > Subject: Re: [DVRPTR_V1] radios

          > Motorola gm300 serie of radio.
          > Kenwood LMR serie with a kct-19 harness to have access to all the signal
          > easily (check homebrew d-star on youtube,) thats what I did.
          > Any ham radio that have a 9600 bps packet port.
          > a cheap chinese postable, but you will have to hack inside to find the
          > connection point for discriminator audio and modulator / ptt
          >
          > that's it for me.

        • Bruce Given
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 5, 2013
            Sorry Guys
            for some reason this was stuck in the spam Folder. I will be more diligent in checking
            regards
            Bruce

            I’d rather live in a world full of eccentric thinkers than one full of unthinking consumers.