Re: [DVRPTR_V1] AMBE-2020 Addon boards FAQ

  • Tom Pauwels
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013
      2013/3/15 do1fjn <dvrptr@...>

      Hi volks,

      --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "repeater.group" <m1dns.gb3hb@...> > I see you have posted a few pics of the new AMBE 2020 board to the group folders.....
      When will they be, or are they available at pesent? and at what cost ?
      and what mic. have you set the connector up for ?
      ---

      Availability: I can't say much to this... I plan to finish the hardware as fast as possible. A 2nd / final board I will order after finishing a few tests next week.

      Microphone:
      Yaesu A8J modular connector. Usable are MH-31A8J (dynamic), MH-59A8J and compatible. All buttons on MH-31 are usable (Up/Down -> volume, Fast). On MH-59 I prepared it for the serial communication, but till today I don't found the protocol specification or message dumps (FT-857/897). If I got such information I will put it into my firmware.

      Loudspeaker 3.5mm 3pin:
      Down to 4 Ohm (differential PWM output).

      Headset 2.5mm 3pin:
      Earphone part >= 16 Ohms, integrated PTT is usable with new firmware.

      Negative:
      Headset and speaker connector have a distance of 8.5mm. You can't plug 2 "thick" jacks at the same time (10mm needed).

      Does this mean a standard kenwood handheld microphone isn't usable anymore ?

      Display:
      I will add support for an standard text LCD with buttons. A 4pin modular jack contains 5V and I²C for such devices... For developers it's easy to support other I²C solutions...

      Compatibility:
      Works with current firmware (normal mic PTT only). Up/Down isn't usable and should not pressed.

      Whats nice:
      Fast-Key on microphone triggers the bootloader on power-up.

      73,
      Jan, DO1FJN

      --
      73

      Tom
      ON4TOP

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013
        Hi Tom,

        --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pauwels <tom@...> wrote:
        > *Does this mean a standard kenwood handheld microphone isn't usable anymore? *

        ANY microphone can be connected to the board, as long as you put an RJ45 jack with the correct pinning on it....

        I don't have space + height on the board to offer a universal-wiring solution. This is the reason for a fixed pinning.

        Jan
      • Tom Pauwels
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013

          Euh yes Jan i agree  ( good idea the RJ45 jack  ) .

          But my question was since you changed the spacing of the 2.5mm & 3.5mm jack a standard kenwood microphone with those 2 pins won't  fit anymore ..?

          Compared to the old version of the AMBE adapter board   ?  ( wich had a kenwood compatible distance between 3,5mm & 2,5mm )

          Tom

          2013/3/15 do1fjn <dvrptr@...>

          Hi Tom,

          --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pauwels <tom@...> wrote:
          > *Does this mean a standard kenwood handheld microphone isn't usable anymore? *

          ANY microphone can be connected to the board, as long as you put an RJ45 jack with the correct pinning on it....

          I don't have space + height on the board to offer a universal-wiring solution. This is the reason for a fixed pinning.

          73

          Tom
          ON4TOP

        • Matthew Pitts
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 16, 2013

            Tom,

            Probably not, since the 2.5 and 3.5mm jacks are now both audio output, with the RJ45 jack being the audio input jack.

            Matthew Pitts
            N8OHU

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

            2013/3/15 do1fjn <dvrptr@...>

            Hi Tom,

            --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pauwels <tom@...> wrote:
            > *Does this mean a standard kenwood handheld microphone isn't usable anymore? *

            ANY microphone can be connected to the board, as long as you put an RJ45 jack with the correct pinning on it....

            I don't have space + height on the board to offer a universal-wiring solution. This is the reason for a fixed pinning.

            73

            Tom
            ON4TOP

          • repeater.group
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 16, 2013
              > Hi
              > we are in the last stages of finalizing the design and doing a costing
              > so we will be able to answer these questions very shortly !
              >
              > We think that you will be pleasantly surprised on the cost
              >
              > I will let Jan comment on the connectors.
              >
              > Kindest regards
              > Bruce
              > VE2GZI

              Bruce and Jan
              thanks for the replies all seems as i had hoped (although strange on the spacings of the spkr/mic connectors)

              if you hold a list of interested partys stick my name -email on it as i would be very interested in getting a hold of one when they become available for general purchase...

              Andrew. M1DNS
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 16, 2013
                Hi Tom,

                --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pauwels <tom@...> wrote:
                > But my question was since you changed the spacing of the 2.5mm & 3.5mm jack
                > a standard kenwood microphone with those 2 pins won't fit anymore ..?

                The 3.5mm and 2.5mm connectors are not compatible with "portable" Speaker-Microphones (10mm / 11mm spacing). Neither mechanically nor electrically (pinning).

                You can combine a speakerless microphone (modular RJ45) with a loudspeaker (3.5mm) or you can use a headset (earphone + mic + PTT; 2.5mm).

                The old kenwood pinning only allow you to use only a such speaker mic. You can't use 2 separate components with it. So I decide to go to the RJ45 - I already had on my previous prototype (DV-ATRX).