Re: [DVRPTR_V1] P25

  • Howard Small
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
      OK - we used to use PVCS for our commercial development so I guess it is somewhat similar.

      Thanks for the clarification.

      Howard

      On 20/02/2013, at 13:14, Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

      Git is a version control software package written by Linus Torvalds, the same fellow that developed the Linux Kernel; I believe it was written after the last system they used either stopped being developed or support fr the open source version was pulled. Github is the main site where git repositories are hosted, including those for the Linux Kernel; there are other places that host source code that have started adding support for git, but I can't think of any of them at the moment.

      Matthew Pitts
      N8OHU

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 26, 2013
        Hi Bruce,

        Yep, I'd be very keen to have a look and learn some more about how the DVRPTR works.

        Looking forward to seeing it in github.

        Cheers,
        Matt

        --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Given <bruce.given@...> wrote:

        > Hi Howard,
        >
        > the code is open source and we will be moving it to Git hub very shortly.
        >
        > We would be very happy for people to start working with the code
        >
        > I am sure that Jan would be happy to answer any questions on the code that
        > people may have
        >
        > Regards
        > Bruce Given
        >

        > On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Howard <howard@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Is there any intention to provide P25 firmware for this board? It was
        > > mooted with the original board when it was first available but dropped off
        > > the list of things to do.
        > >
        > > If such firmware could be made available I am sure the market would be
        > > there, especially in the USA.
        > >
        > > Should there not be any plans to develop such firmware, what is involved?
        > > I guess it is mainly assembler code which is not my forte but if not
        > > perhaps I could try...
        > >
        > > Alternatively there may be some in the P25 groups who have the skill and
        > > willingness who could be uncouraged to assist?
        > >
        > > Howard VK4BS
        > >

        > --
        > I'd rather live in a world full of eccentric thinkers than one full of
        > unthinking consumers.

      • g8sau
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1 12:41 AM
          --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "Howard" <howard@...> wrote:

          > Is there any intention to provide P25 firmware for this board? It was mooted with the original board when it was first available but dropped off the list of things to do.

          there seems to be some work being done in germany using dvrptr_2 and some other bits

          rather than posting links to useless places please include link that are informative. github and gnu have nothing to do with P25 developemnt so if you have real links to beta firmware then post it here.. there is a gateway on Reflector DCS001V and its is working.
          would be nice to see some information from current developers about this beta setup

          so Please Hans Jann and Torston do you have any news?

          Barry Andy Kevin and the others in the North Norfolk Dstar><P25 group.

          > If such firmware could be made available I am sure the market would be there, especially in the USA.
          >
          > Should there not be any plans to develop such firmware, what is involved? I guess it is mainly assembler code which is not my forte but if not perhaps I could try...
          >
          > Alternatively there may be some in the P25 groups who have the skill and willingness who could be uncouraged to assist?
          >
          > Howard VK4BS

        • Howard Small
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1 1:50 AM
            Interesting. However DCS001V seems to be for DMR rather than P25.

            Hope you get a reply...

            73

            Howard VK4BS

            On 01/04/2013, at 17:41, "g8sau" <bt@...> wrote:

            --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "Howard" <howard@...> wrote:

            > Is there any intention to provide P25 firmware for this board? It was mooted with the original board when it was first available but dropped off the list of things to do.

            there seems to be some work being done in germany using dvrptr_2 and some other bits

            rather than posting links to useless places please include link that are informative. github and gnu have nothing to do with P25 developemnt so if you have real links to beta firmware then post it here.. there is a gateway on Reflector DCS001V and its is working.
            would be nice to see some information from current developers about this beta setup

            so Please Hans Jann and Torston do you have any news?

            Barry Andy Kevin and the others in the North Norfolk Dstar><P25 group.

            > If such firmware could be made available I am sure the market would be there, especially in the USA.
            >
            > Should there not be any plans to develop such firmware, what is involved? I guess it is mainly assembler code which is not my forte but if not perhaps I could try...
            >
            > Alternatively there may be some in the P25 groups who have the skill and willingness who could be uncouraged to assist?
            >
            > Howard VK4BS

          • Matthew Pitts
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1 8:43 AM

              Barry,

              Yes, and as Howard said that particular bit of work is for a DMR to D-Star bridge; I've heard from sources that shall remain nameless that there was even a Tetra system in there at least once. Thr only serious P25 stuff that I'm aware of at this time is the OP25 project on osmocom.org, but that is for AllStar Link using either a URI or USRP. If any P25 development for the DVRPTR V1 is being done, it would be talked about in this group and the source code would be made available somewhere, as would any firmware for testing.

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3 8:19 AM
                Hi folks,

                From time to time someone ask about the P.25 functionality... but till today no one except me develop new stuff for the open source firmware.

                It's a pity!

                I ever want a APCO P.25 module to create Hotspots / Repeater for it, but it need a bit time and skills to do that.

                In the moment I write a Interface documentation for developer and prepare modules for the new AMBE-Board.

                I hope some one will be a part of firmware development - it's a huge area:
                - optimized, well-calculated GMSK demodulator
                - C4FM
                - APCO P.25 air interface
                - DMR air interface (repeater)
                - packet radio, AX.25, 6pack, TNC
                - ...

                They are a lot of requests for the firmware.

                73 de
                Jan, DO1FJN
              • Ron Wright
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3 8:44 AM
                  There are some local Hams doing P25, maybe 3.  Also couple doing the ICOM commercial digital (non-DTAR)/analog hybrid FR6000 repeater.  Nice package.

                  However, ICOM's DSTAR is for Ham Radio.  A single band HT P25 radio is more expensive than the 880 or 80 and must be programmed with software and is usually only a few channels.

                  DSTAR was made for Ham Radio.  The P25 and other like formats and radios are for commercial service where one has a dumb op who knows 3 things...This knob turns radio on, to talk push here, to listen do not push here.

                  It is interesting to see some playing with these other modes for commercial guys are far more advanced than Hams, but the radios are not user friendly, that is does not allow one to do things with radios like us Hams...like tune and talk from the front panel.

                  73, ron, n9ee/r

                  Ron Wright, N9EE/R
                  BSEE
                  Micro Computer Concepts
                  352-683-4476
                  mccrpt@...

                  To: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
                  From: dvrptr@...
                  Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 15:19:07 +0000
                  Subject: [DVRPTR_V1] Development for DV-RPTR (P.25 / DMR and more)

                  Hi folks,

                  From time to time someone ask about the P.25 functionality... but till today no one except me develop new stuff for the open source firmware.

                  It's a pity!

                  I ever want a APCO P.25 module to create Hotspots / Repeater for it, but it need a bit time and skills to do that.

                  In the moment I write a Interface documentation for developer and prepare modules for the new AMBE-Board.

                  I hope some one will be a part of firmware development - it's a huge area:
                  - optimized, well-calculated GMSK demodulator
                  - C4FM
                  - APCO P.25 air interface
                  - DMR air interface (repeater)
                  - packet radio, AX.25, 6pack, TNC
                  - ...

                  They are a lot of requests for the firmware.

                  73 de
                  Jan, DO1FJN

                • Bruce Given
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3 9:27 AM
                    Thanks for note Ron,
                    as Jan correctly states he is working feverishly documenting the DVRPTR_V1 firmware and we hope to release
                    it to the community soon, I think that this will certain assist any budding software developers
                    (Which by the way we welcome with open Arms !!! )

                    We are hoping to release the AMBE2020 Module shortly , and have plans for other things beyond this

                    Stay tuned it's going to be fun !!

                    kindest regards
                    Bruce

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5 6:44 AM
                        Well, like Jan said.. the source is available, go do it!

                        That said... I somehow feel that Motorola will not be too fond of any
                        "open developments" in their arena.  They are nasty about DMR, so
                        probably with P25 as well....

                        --f