GPS data into DVRPTR V1

  • F4AVI Fabrice
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013
      Hi,
      I saw an item GPS data into ControlCenter Program.
      Can we connect a GPS receiver (NMEA output) to the DVRPTR v1 ?
      If yes, how to connect it ?

      I use the v1.69b firmware.

      --
      73's de F4AVI Fabrice
      fabrice@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
        Hi Fabrice,

        --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, F4AVI Fabrice wrote:
        > I saw an item GPS data into ControlCenter Program.
        > Can we connect a GPS receiver (NMEA output) to the DVRPTR v1 ?
        > If yes, how to connect it ?
        >
        > I use the v1.69b firmware.
        ---

        It is possible to connect a serial device to the DV-RPTR board. But there a lot of thinks to take care about:
        1. there is no RS232 level shifter on the board: You need a 3.3V TTL signal from the GPS device.

        2. I have currently no firmware planned to catch NMEA data and add a DPRS packet for transmission. Maybe that feature is contained in the XDVRPTR firmware. In the current V1.69b firmware this serial port is used as an alternate connection way for embedded solutions.

        3. A GPS receiver makes sense only in stand-alone operation (using the AMBE-Addon). But in this case the needed Pin are used for microphone Up/Down keys or DTMF keypads (new / planned AMBE-Board).

        So it isn't easy to offer a very flexible but simple-to-use solution. In my next firmware change I will improve the stability and add the support for the new features of the AMBE-Addon.

      • F4AVI Fabrice
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
          Thanks for answer Jan.
          Connect a GPS receiver to send DPRS packet for stand-alone operation is
          exactly what I meant !
          I tried the xdvrptr firmware, but came back to the 1.69b because some
          software function of the control center didn't work (display rx msg,
          statistics, etc...).
          To my mind, it would be a great feature if we can send the real-time
          position into DPRS packet, when using DVRPTR_v1 with an external 9k6-TRX
          in stand-alone mode ...

          I'll wait to see if the other users of DVRPTR v1 will ask for this
          feature for the new firmware.

          Thanks again for us and DVRPTR v1 support!

          --
          73's de F4AVI Fabrice
          fabrice@...

          --