AMBE-Addon

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 2012
      Hi,

      The original AMBE Addon board was designed and produced by Stefan (SR-Systems).
      I see that there is some interests in it, so I decided to finish my sheet and layout for a compatible replacement.

      My previous device prototype 'DV-ATRX' uses a RJ45 8pin connector (standard 5V Yaesu pinning + rewiring facility).

      + Serial connection for keypads or displays
      + or Up/Down/Fast key-inputs
      - no low cost microphones
      - only with external speaker (3.5mm jack)

      What is yours opinion? Which kind of microphone connector is the best?

      73
      Jan
    • gautea
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 6, 2012
        Hi Jan
        The Icom HM-118TN, cheap from 409Shop.com is working fine. RJ45, with DTMF gen. and 4x4 keyboard. Specified for nominal 8V supply though. Not sure if 5V is enough for the DTMF chip. A simple mod with LM7808 would fix problem with voltage. Has UP/DWN buttons, needs ADC single line input on the DVRPTR, nice for volume UP/DWN from the mic. No LS so separate audio jack is fine.
        regards
        Gaute LB6YD

        --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "do1fjn" <dvrptr@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > The original AMBE Addon board was designed and produced by Stefan (SR-Systems).
        > I see that there is some interests in it, so I decided to finish my sheet and layout for a compatible replacement.
        >
        > My previous device prototype 'DV-ATRX' uses a RJ45 8pin connector (standard 5V Yaesu pinning + rewiring facility).
        >
        > + Serial connection for keypads or displays
        > + or Up/Down/Fast key-inputs
        > - no low cost microphones
        > - only with external speaker (3.5mm jack)
        >
        > What is yours opinion? Which kind of microphone connector is the best?
        >
        > 73
        > Jan

      • Fran Miele
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6, 2012
          rj45

          --Fran,W1FJM

          On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM, gautea <gautea@...> wrote:

          Hi Jan
          The Icom HM-118TN, cheap from 409Shop.com is working fine. RJ45, with DTMF gen. and 4x4 keyboard. Specified for nominal 8V supply though. Not sure if 5V is enough for the DTMF chip. A simple mod with LM7808 would fix problem with voltage. Has UP/DWN buttons, needs ADC single line input on the DVRPTR, nice for volume UP/DWN from the mic. No LS so separate audio jack is fine.
          regards
          Gaute LB6YD

          --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "do1fjn" <dvrptr@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > The original AMBE Addon board was designed and produced by Stefan (SR-Systems).
          > I see that there is some interests in it, so I decided to finish my sheet and layout for a compatible replacement.
          >
          > My previous device prototype 'DV-ATRX' uses a RJ45 8pin connector (standard 5V Yaesu pinning + rewiring facility).
          >
          > + Serial connection for keypads or displays
          > + or Up/Down/Fast key-inputs
          > - no low cost microphones
          > - only with external speaker (3.5mm jack)
          >
          > What is yours opinion? Which kind of microphone connector is the best?
          >
          > 73
          > Jan

        • ct1jib
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 6, 2012
            Hi Jan

            I share the same opinion, RJ45.

            Jorge

            --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "do1fjn" <dvrptr@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > The original AMBE Addon board was designed and produced by Stefan (SR-Systems).
            > I see that there is some interests in it, so I decided to finish my sheet and layout for a compatible replacement.
            >
            > My previous device prototype 'DV-ATRX' uses a RJ45 8pin connector (standard 5V Yaesu pinning + rewiring facility).
            >
            > + Serial connection for keypads or displays
            > + or Up/Down/Fast key-inputs
            > - no low cost microphones
            > - only with external speaker (3.5mm jack)
            >
            > What is yours opinion? Which kind of microphone connector is the best?
            >
            > 73
            > Jan

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 6, 2012
              Hi

              Regarding microphones,something to consider is the strain placed on the
              microphone/speaker sockets by plugging in the microphone/speaker itself.
              I'd be tempted to used screened flying leads to the unit itself.

              Jim

              On 06/12/2012 14:43, do1fjn wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > The original AMBE Addon board was designed and produced by Stefan (SR-Systems).
              > I see that there is some interests in it, so I decided to finish my sheet and layout for a compatible replacement.
              >
              > My previous device prototype 'DV-ATRX' uses a RJ45 8pin connector (standard 5V Yaesu pinning + rewiring facility).
              >
              > + Serial connection for keypads or displays
              > + or Up/Down/Fast key-inputs
              > - no low cost microphones
              > - only with external speaker (3.5mm jack)
              >
              > What is yours opinion? Which kind of microphone connector is the best?
              >
              > 73
              > Jan

            • vk7yxx
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 6, 2012
                I think I'll go against the trend and suggest keeping the Kenwood speaker/mic arrangement. It's convenient, compatible with existing AMBE boards, and has caused no issues for me. The last thing the compact DVRPTR needs is more cables hanging out of it.

                Would the RJ45 socket even fit in the standard DVRPTR V1 case?

                --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "do1fjn" <dvrptr@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > The original AMBE Addon board was designed and produced by Stefan (SR-Systems).
                > I see that there is some interests in it, so I decided to finish my sheet and layout for a compatible replacement.
                >
                > My previous device prototype 'DV-ATRX' uses a RJ45 8pin connector (standard 5V Yaesu pinning + rewiring facility).
                >
                > + Serial connection for keypads or displays
                > + or Up/Down/Fast key-inputs
                > - no low cost microphones
                > - only with external speaker (3.5mm jack)
                >
                > What is yours opinion? Which kind of microphone connector is the best?
                >
                > 73
                > Jan

              • Will
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 6, 2012
                  Jan,

                  Even though some may think that the RJ45 is a shaky connector but is
                  plentiful in stock and can be made to work just fine. So, I would say go
                  for it and lets use it,

                  Will

                  On 12/6/2012 8:43 AM, do1fjn wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > The original AMBE Addon board was designed and produced by Stefan (SR-Systems).
                  > I see that there is some interests in it, so I decided to finish my sheet and layout for a compatible replacement.
                  >
                  > My previous device prototype 'DV-ATRX' uses a RJ45 8pin connector (standard 5V Yaesu pinning + rewiring facility).
                  >
                  > + Serial connection for keypads or displays
                  > + or Up/Down/Fast key-inputs
                  > - no low cost microphones
                  > - only with external speaker (3.5mm jack)
                  >
                  > What is yours opinion? Which kind of microphone connector is the best?
                  >
                  > 73
                  > Jan

                • vk7yxx
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 6, 2012
                    As the only person that seems to think the Kenwood-style connector is a good idea, I'll expand on my reasoning a bit:

                    - Kenwood-style speaker/mics are cheap and readily available, in fact I suspect most would already have one. Good quality ones can be had for $20, cheap ones for $10.
                    - I see compatibility with the existing AMBE board as a big advantage, assuming the goal is to continue the DVRPTR V1 project rather than change its direction. If things progress and an upgraded AMBE board becomes available, I'd rather buy the new AMBE board, slide it into my existing box and plug my existing connections into it without modification, rather than get another mic and external speaker and modify the box (if it fits).
                    - Having to connect a separate external speaker to use the DVRPTR in AMBE mode is painful, particularly for portable/mobile operations. The less connections required the better, and the Kenwood-style connections can be used separately if desired.

                    73 - Don / VK7YXX.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
                      Hi,

                      --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "vk7yxx" <vk7yxx@...> wrote:
                      > Would the RJ45 socket even fit in the standard DVRPTR V1 case?

                      Yes.
                      The design allows huge connectors, like a Sub-D9 too.

                      One more point against:
                      - square cutout (not so easy for homemade like a round drill)

                      73
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 7, 2012
                        Hi Don,

                        --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "vk7yxx" <vk7yxx@...> wrote:
                        > - Kenwood-style speaker/mics are cheap and readily available, in fact I suspect most would already have one. Good quality ones can be had for $20, cheap ones for $10.

                        Here a some disadvantages of this solution:
                        - both jacks must be used together, no separate speaker is possible
                        - no additional keys (for volume control)
                        - possibility of damage the jacks
                        - an integrated speaker needs a separate NF-PA (the integrated Class-D is differential driven; no GND)

                        > - I see compatibility with the existing AMBE board as a big advantage, assuming the goal is to continue the DVRPTR V1 project rather than change its direction. If things progress and an upgraded AMBE board becomes available, I'd rather buy the new AMBE board, slide it into my existing box and plug my existing connections into it without modification, rather than get another mic and external speaker and modify the box (if it fits).

                        You're right - in case of replace the old board it's not ideal: A new front plate and a new microphone is needed.

                        > - Having to connect a separate external speaker to use the DVRPTR in AMBE mode is painful, particularly for portable/mobile operations. The less connections required the better, and the Kenwood-style connections can be used separately if desired.

                        I know, the best spkr/mic solution don't exists... A combination of a High-Ohm Speaker + Up/Down keys with an RJ45 for a low price...

                        So I open for ideas. A combination of a 4-pin 3.5mm jack + RJ45 + 3.5mm Speaker...
                        In the case of using a shared PTT/Mic line, a Volume-Poti is impossible and the firmware must support this (problem XDVRPTR FW).