Re: [DVRPTR_V1] Which software?

  • Matthew Pitts
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013

      My suggestion; buy a Raspberry Pi and install either Jonathan's software using the repository created by Hans DL5DI, which has scripts to configure everything, or Ramesh's Free*star image for the Raspberry Pi. I don't have experience with the latter as yet, but either one should be more stable than anything on a Windows system; I ran Jonathan's stuff on Windows 7, but never left it on for more than a few hours at a time. I've had it running since Christmas Day on my Raspberry Pi and it's rock solid using a DVAP.

      Matthew Pitrs
      N8OHU

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
        --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "va2ir" wrote:

        > Hi guys. This is all new to me. My situation: The DV RPTR v1 board is coming in, and I have installed on a clean XP machine the G4KLX repeater and gateway softwares. I find them cumbersome.

        Well Dont know what to say about G4KLX code but I cann comment on KI4LKF/VA3UV Freestar code in that it is stable on all platforms from PC to ALEX800 and Rasp-Pi I have used it for a some time and cant fault it.

        Barry G8SAU

        > I was looking at the documentation folder and saw the details of the DVRPTR control center software which looks much simpler to configure. Our repeater is registered with the ircDDB network.
        >
        > Which software am I better off with?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Ian - VA2IR

      • va2ir
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
          Thanks for all the replies. Now I know what I'm doing this weekend....

          Ian

          From: "g8sau" <bt@...>
          Sender: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:48:43 -0000
          To: <DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [DVRPTR_V1] Re: Which software?

          --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "va2ir" wrote:

          > Hi guys. This is all new to me. My situation: The DV RPTR v1 board is coming in, and I have installed on a clean XP machine the G4KLX repeater and gateway softwares. I find them cumbersome.

          Well Dont know what to say about G4KLX code but I cann comment on KI4LKF/VA3UV Freestar code in that it is stable on all platforms from PC to ALEX800 and Rasp-Pi I have used it for a some time and cant fault it.

          Barry G8SAU

          > I was looking at the documentation folder and saw the details of the DVRPTR control center software which looks much simpler to configure. Our repeater is registered with the ircDDB network.
          >
          > Which software am I better off with?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Ian - VA2IR

        • va2ir
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 12, 2013
            Thankls for all the replies. The software issues were resolved. I had the wrong IP addresses in the wrong place. The IRCddb is now connected although I don't have the board yet.

            On the topic of the board, I am interfacing the board to a Hamtronics REP-200 repeater. This is a very basic repeater with separate TX and RX boards and a simple controller (which will be disconnected).

            The TX should be able to handle the digital data and the RX board provides discriminator output up to 2V p-p.

            My question: I won't be using a 9K6 connector: to key the transmitter, is the signal from the board positive or negative going? Am I best to use the keying line through a relay as I am doing now?

            Thanks for any help.

            Ian

            VA2IR
            > Hi guys. This is all new to me. My situation: The DV RPTR v1 board is coming in, and I have installed on a clean XP machine the G4KLX repeater and gateway softwares. I find them cumbersome.

            Well Dont know what to say about G4KLX code but I cann comment on KI4LKF/VA3UV Freestar code in that it is stable on all platforms from PC to ALEX800 and Rasp-Pi I have used it for a some time and cant fault it.

            Barry G8SAU

            > I was looking at the documentation folder and saw the details of the DVRPTR control center software which looks much simpler to configure. Our repeater is registered with the ircDDB network.
            >
            > Which software am I better off with?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Ian - VA2IR

          • Pierre Martel

              > Hi guys. This is all new to me. My situation: The DV RPTR v1 board is coming in, and I have installed on a clean XP machine the G4KLX repeater and gateway softwares. I find them cumbersome.

              Well Dont know what to say about G4KLX code but I cann comment on KI4LKF/VA3UV Freestar code in that it is stable on all platforms from PC to ALEX800 and Rasp-Pi I have used it for a some time and cant fault it.

              Barry G8SAU

              > I was looking at the documentation folder and saw the details of the DVRPTR control center software which looks much simpler to configure. Our repeater is registered with the ircDDB network.
              >
              > Which software am I better off with?
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Ian - VA2IR

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  DVRPTR_V1-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  DVRPTR_V1-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • va2ir
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 13, 2013
                Ok, so its active low. Thanks.

                From: Pierre Martel <petem001@...>
                Sender: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 22:11:28 -0500
                To: <DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [DVRPTR_V1] Re: Which software?

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 15, 2013
                  Hi Ian,

                  --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, va2ir@... wrote:
                  > On the topic of the board, I am interfacing the board to a Hamtronics REP-200 repeater. This is a very basic repeater with separate TX and RX boards and a simple controller (which will be disconnected).

                  > The TX should be able to handle the digital data and the RX board provides discriminator output up to 2V p-p.

                  That's ok. A DV-RPTR board can handle 3Vp-p w/o distortion. A (smaller) GMSK signal should give 0.5Vp-p if the RX receives up to 25kHz channels.

                  > My question: I won't be using a 9K6 connector: to key the transmitter, is the signal from the board positive or negative going? Am I best to use the keying line through a relay as I am doing now?

                  From DV-RPTR normally you got a Active-Low (PTT triggered -> Pin goes to ground) signal (weak high; true open collector after removing a resistor).

                  You have the possibility to change the DV-RPTR hardware to have a positive (PTT triggered -> Pin goes to supply voltage) signal...

                  This feature is needed only in a few cases (self-made TX)...

                  relay usage isn't needed in the case you have the same power supply (ground; not only the analog-ground line for RX/TX signals). A relay will add ~20ms (rule of thumb) additional TX-Delay.

                  73,
                  Jan, DO1FJN