Which software?

  • va2ir
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
      Hi guys. This is all new to me. My situation: The DV RPTR v1 board is coming in, and I have installed on a clean XP machine the G4KLX repeater and gateway softwares. I find them cumbersome.

      I was looking at the documentation folder and saw the details of the DVRPTR control center software which looks much simpler to configure. Our repeater is registered with the ircDDB network.

      Which software am I better off with?

      Thanks

      Ian - VA2IR
    • skycom291980
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
        If you want to use the ircddb with what your repeater is registered with then you don't want to use the control center software. The ircddb was removed from the control center and is no longer available through that software. Myself I would recommend the other software.

        Dean
        KF9L

        --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "va2ir" wrote:

        > Hi guys. This is all new to me. My situation: The DV RPTR v1 board is coming in, and I have installed on a clean XP machine the G4KLX repeater and gateway softwares. I find them cumbersome.
        >
        > I was looking at the documentation folder and saw the details of the DVRPTR control center software which looks much simpler to configure. Our repeater is registered with the ircDDB network.
        >
        > Which software am I better off with?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Ian - VA2IR

      • Howard Small
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
          In my opinion you are definitely better off with the ircddb software. It will take a little while to get used to it but when you do you will find it gives you better control and tends to be less buggy.

          Howard
          VK4BS

          Sent from my my PDP11 portable
        • ve2pf
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
            Ian You should look at the Freestar suite.

            you can read about it at http://www.va3uv.com/freestar.htm

            Thats what I used more then a year ago to make a simple uhf hiomebrew dstar repeater with a v1 dvrptr..

            Pierre
            VE2PF

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
              I agree I would actually recommend the freestar. Its what I use here. I just didn't mention it because you didn't mention it in you message. Its a very stable program and you can remotely control easily and support for it is very good.

              Dean
              KF9L

              --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

              > Ian You should look at the Freestar suite.
              >
              > you can read about it at http://www.va3uv.com/freestar.htm
              >
              > Thats what I used more then a year ago to make a simple uhf hiomebrew dstar repeater with a v1 dvrptr..
              >
              > Pierre
              > VE2PF

            • Matthew Pitts
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013

                My suggestion; buy a Raspberry Pi and install either Jonathan's software using the repository created by Hans DL5DI, which has scripts to configure everything, or Ramesh's Free*star image for the Raspberry Pi. I don't have experience with the latter as yet, but either one should be more stable than anything on a Windows system; I ran Jonathan's stuff on Windows 7, but never left it on for more than a few hours at a time. I've had it running since Christmas Day on my Raspberry Pi and it's rock solid using a DVAP.

                Matthew Pitrs
                N8OHU

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
                  --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "va2ir" wrote:

                  > Hi guys. This is all new to me. My situation: The DV RPTR v1 board is coming in, and I have installed on a clean XP machine the G4KLX repeater and gateway softwares. I find them cumbersome.

                  Well Dont know what to say about G4KLX code but I cann comment on KI4LKF/VA3UV Freestar code in that it is stable on all platforms from PC to ALEX800 and Rasp-Pi I have used it for a some time and cant fault it.

                  Barry G8SAU

                  > I was looking at the documentation folder and saw the details of the DVRPTR control center software which looks much simpler to configure. Our repeater is registered with the ircDDB network.
                  >
                  > Which software am I better off with?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Ian - VA2IR

                • va2ir
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
                    Thanks for all the replies. Now I know what I'm doing this weekend....

                    Ian

                    From: "g8sau" <bt@...>
                    Sender: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:48:43 -0000
                    To: <DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: [DVRPTR_V1] Re: Which software?

                    --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, "va2ir" wrote:

                    > Hi guys. This is all new to me. My situation: The DV RPTR v1 board is coming in, and I have installed on a clean XP machine the G4KLX repeater and gateway softwares. I find them cumbersome.

                    Well Dont know what to say about G4KLX code but I cann comment on KI4LKF/VA3UV Freestar code in that it is stable on all platforms from PC to ALEX800 and Rasp-Pi I have used it for a some time and cant fault it.

                    Barry G8SAU

                    > I was looking at the documentation folder and saw the details of the DVRPTR control center software which looks much simpler to configure. Our repeater is registered with the ircDDB network.
                    >
                    > Which software am I better off with?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Ian - VA2IR

                  • va2ir
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 12, 2013
                      Thankls for all the replies. The software issues were resolved. I had the wrong IP addresses in the wrong place. The IRCddb is now connected although I don't have the board yet.

                      On the topic of the board, I am interfacing the board to a Hamtronics REP-200 repeater. This is a very basic repeater with separate TX and RX boards and a simple controller (which will be disconnected).

                      The TX should be able to handle the digital data and the RX board provides discriminator output up to 2V p-p.

                      My question: I won't be using a 9K6 connector: to key the transmitter, is the signal from the board positive or negative going? Am I best to use the keying line through a relay as I am doing now?

                      Thanks for any help.

                      Ian

                      VA2IR
                      > Hi guys. This is all new to me. My situation: The DV RPTR v1 board is coming in, and I have installed on a clean XP machine the G4KLX repeater and gateway softwares. I find them cumbersome.

                      Well Dont know what to say about G4KLX code but I cann comment on KI4LKF/VA3UV Freestar code in that it is stable on all platforms from PC to ALEX800 and Rasp-Pi I have used it for a some time and cant fault it.

                      Barry G8SAU

                      > I was looking at the documentation folder and saw the details of the DVRPTR control center software which looks much simpler to configure. Our repeater is registered with the ircDDB network.
                      >
                      > Which software am I better off with?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Ian - VA2IR

                    • Pierre Martel

                        > Hi guys. This is all new to me. My situation: The DV RPTR v1 board is coming in, and I have installed on a clean XP machine the G4KLX repeater and gateway softwares. I find them cumbersome.

                        Well Dont know what to say about G4KLX code but I cann comment on KI4LKF/VA3UV Freestar code in that it is stable on all platforms from PC to ALEX800 and Rasp-Pi I have used it for a some time and cant fault it.

                        Barry G8SAU

                        > I was looking at the documentation folder and saw the details of the DVRPTR control center software which looks much simpler to configure. Our repeater is registered with the ircDDB network.
                        >
                        > Which software am I better off with?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Ian - VA2IR

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            DVRPTR_V1-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            DVRPTR_V1-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • va2ir
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 13, 2013
                          Ok, so its active low. Thanks.

                          From: Pierre Martel <petem001@...>
                          Sender: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 22:11:28 -0500
                          To: <DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com>
                          ReplyTo: DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com
                          Subject: Re: [DVRPTR_V1] Re: Which software?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 15, 2013
                            Hi Ian,

                            --- In DVRPTR_V1@yahoogroups.com, va2ir@... wrote:
                            > On the topic of the board, I am interfacing the board to a Hamtronics REP-200 repeater. This is a very basic repeater with separate TX and RX boards and a simple controller (which will be disconnected).

                            > The TX should be able to handle the digital data and the RX board provides discriminator output up to 2V p-p.

                            That's ok. A DV-RPTR board can handle 3Vp-p w/o distortion. A (smaller) GMSK signal should give 0.5Vp-p if the RX receives up to 25kHz channels.

                            > My question: I won't be using a 9K6 connector: to key the transmitter, is the signal from the board positive or negative going? Am I best to use the keying line through a relay as I am doing now?

                            From DV-RPTR normally you got a Active-Low (PTT triggered -> Pin goes to ground) signal (weak high; true open collector after removing a resistor).

                            You have the possibility to change the DV-RPTR hardware to have a positive (PTT triggered -> Pin goes to supply voltage) signal...

                            This feature is needed only in a few cases (self-made TX)...

                            relay usage isn't needed in the case you have the same power supply (ground; not only the analog-ground line for RX/TX signals). A relay will add ~20ms (rule of thumb) additional TX-Delay.

                            73,
                            Jan, DO1FJN