Re: DVDongle/DVDongle Tool Questions...

  • Jerry Dubzak - W2GLD
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2008
      I purchased a DVDongle sometime ago and haven't used it all that much
      other than for testing. Now that I am moved into my new location, I
      have decided to take it out of storage and begin to play a little
      more with it and I noticed that on the
      DStarUsers.org page, my location displays as "unknown". Does anyone
      know why this occurs on some users and not all users???

      Second, after a few minutes of using the DVDongle it continually
      seems to time out and close itself. Is this a firmware issue or
      application issue??? I have had this happen on 5 different pc's at
      this point so I am thinking it's DVDongle hardware related.

      I am using both Windows Vista 32-Bit & 64-Bit as well as Windows XP
      32-Bit, the latest versions of Java are installed as well.

      DVDongle Tool Version = 1.10 Beta 2

      DVDongle Hardware:

      Boot Version = 1.03

      Firmware Version = 1.10

      Any help someone can provide would be much appreciated as this device
      is basically useless at the moment for listening for anymore than
      about two minutes worth of time.

      Thanks in advance...

      Jerry - W2GLD
    • Bryan Johns
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2008
        On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Jerry Dubzak - W2GLD <w2gld@...> wrote:
        > I purchased a DVDongle sometime ago and haven't used it all that much
        > other than for testing. Now that I am moved into my new location, I
        > have decided to take it out of storage and begin to play a little
        > more with it and I noticed that on the
        > DStarUsers.org page, my location displays as "unknown". Does anyone
        > know why this occurs on some users and not all users???
        >
        > Second, after a few minutes of using the DVDongle it continually
        > seems to time out and close itself. Is this a firmware issue or
        > application issue??? I have had this happen on 5 different pc's at
        > this point so I am thinking it's DVDongle hardware related.
        >
        > I am using both Windows Vista 32-Bit & 64-Bit as well as Windows XP
        > 32-Bit, the latest versions of Java are installed as well.
        >
        > DVDongle Tool Version = 1.10 Beta 2
        >
        > DVDongle Hardware:
        >
        > Boot Version = 1.03
        >
        > Firmware Version = 1.10
        >
        > Any help someone can provide would be much appreciated as this device
        > is basically useless at the moment for listening for anymore than
        > about two minutes worth of time.
        >
        > Thanks in advance...

        My DVDongle does that also. I've come to the conclusion that it has
        to do with the internet/internet connection. It seems to be worse on
        some gateways than others so I suspect it's a combination between my
        internet connection and the connection of the gateway machine I'm
        connecting to. I have a satellite based internet connection which has
        significant latency communicating between my station and the satellite
        which causes problems enough on it's own. Then, add to that any delay
        caused by a slow/heavily loaded gateway server and all bets are off
        because satellite latency + server response time = unpredictable,
        variable delay between packet transmission and response reception.

        --
        Bryan Johns
        K4GDW

        Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
        good with ketchup.
      • Jerry Dubzak - W2GLD
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008

          Bryan,

          Thanks for the comment but with Verizon FiOS at 20/20mb I doubt this is the case.  It does it at home, at the office, on the road with my air card, etc.

          It’s either a device issue or software related at this point.  I also have another DVDongle that I borrowed from someone with the following:

          Boot Version = 1.04

          Firmware Version = 1.10

          And it does NOT produce the same results as mine!  In fact it works quite nicely…

          Perhaps Robin can shed some light on this topic for me!

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
            The firmware changes made zero difference to production use. The
            changes were made to help in the manufacturing process.

            Please send an email direct to aa4rc@... and we can try to
            figure out what is going on.

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Dubzak - W2GLD" <w2gld@...>
            wrote:

            > Bryan,
            >

            > Thanks for the comment but with Verizon FiOS at 20/20mb I doubt
            this is the
            > case. It does it at home, at the office, on the road with my air
            card, etc.

            > It's either a device issue or software related at this point. I
            also have
            > another DVDongle that I borrowed from someone with the following:
            >

            > Boot Version = 1.04
            >
            > Firmware Version = 1.10
            >

            > And it does NOT produce the same results as mine! In fact it works
            quite
            > nicely.
            >

            > Perhaps Robin can shed some light on this topic for me!
            >

            > Jerry Dubzak - W2GLD

            Behalf