Re: DV Dongle / DV Tool with laptop

  • Bracy Poppell
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2008
      I agree. I think its the USB Subsystem can't handle that much data
      at once. I would get the same thing when I'd try to use two USB
      Webcam's running in high resolution at the same time. The only
      difference was that the USB Subsystem would bring up a message about
      there not being enough bandwidth available when I'd try to start the
      second camera.

      I think that either Robin or Java is automatically doing a check for
      bandwidth or failures of some kind, so DVTool or Java is
      automatically shutting things down before the USB Subsystem fails
      with an error message.

      If I had a USB headset I could test this out with the DVDongle,
      because I normally only run my DVDongle on my laptop. I don't have
      any problems, however, because my headset is through a built in
      soundcard on the system. It doesn't use the USB port for sound.

      If this theory is correct, you should be able to produce the same
      results on a desktop computer as long as it has the same speed USB as
      the laptop that it fails on. Does the laptop support USB 2.0 or just
      1.x? That could be pretty critical to this.

      Bracy Poppell
      KB3KHP / WPYE419

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Fran Miele" <fran@...> wrote:

      > I have the same problem with my IBM thinkpad. I believe the issue
      is that
      > the one USB buss can't handle both the Logitech USB headset and the
      dongle.
      > If I use an analog connected headset it works fine.
      >

      > Fran, W1FJM
      >

      > _____

      Behalf
      > Of josephwhite200
      > Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:34 PM
      > To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [DVDongle] DV Dongle / DV Tool with laptop
      >

      > I thought this problem was fixed some time back but it isn't.
      >
      > Equipment:
      > Lap-Top
      > Vision Computer Inc.
      > Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
      > T8300 @ 2.4 GHz
      > 2.39 GHz, 299 GB of ram
      >
      > Windows XP Home
      > Version 2002
      > Service Pack 3
      >
      > Problem:
      > When I key the Xmit button on the DV Dongle I can hear a in and out
      > hiss as though I was keying and unkeying rapidly. The audio if any
      > comes through at all is just in small spurts. I am using a Logitech
      > USB headset. I have three of them and tried two of them on the
      > laptop. I also took the same headsets and ran them fine on the DV
      > Dongle on my desktop computer. I also switched the DV Dongles from
      > the laptop and the desktop. Both work fine on the desk top as
      > well. I can put the DV Dongle in the loopback test and the audio
      > sounds fine. I tried running the DV Dongle on the wireless network
      > at 56K and also on my router at 100 mb. Got the same results. I
      > have run out of ideas.
      >
      > I hope someone may have run into this problem before.
      >
      > POSSIBLE ERROR ON THE LAST DV TOOL RELEASE.
      > While running all of these test with the laptop and two of my
      > desktops, I noted that when talking DV Dongle to DV Dongle the
      Radio
      > 1 showed up as KJ4FHX G and Radio 2 showed up as KJ4FHX B. When I
      > keyed up the 2820 the Radio 1 showed up KJ4FHX B and Radio 2 showed
      > up as KJ4FHX G. Something is incorrect about the DV Dongle to DV
      > Dongle. It was noticed on to different machines and two different
      DV