Continuing problem loading DVDongle

  • g8zqa
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2008
      Apart from the 1st few days, which may have been a fluke, I have had
      problems getting the DVDongle to boot up on my Mesh computer. It
      fires up on the Evesham Desktop, but drops out after about a minute
      probably due to lack of memory / processing power. That must mean
      that there is nothing wrong with the BlueBox?
      It was widely thought that the problem on the Mesh was a firewall as
      the error comes up as "cannot open device localhost:20002". The
      windows firewall is not operative at all, and the whole Kaspersky
      firewall / virus detection can be switched off which makes no
      difference!
      On 1st attempts to boot up, the Dongle will select COM1. 20002 DOES
      open, but as no parameters come up on the screen such as device name
      etc, you know it may have opened the port, but the programme will not
      work. Pulling the USB out and restoring, defaults now to COM3, and
      95% of the attempts to launch result in the error message. What about
      the other 5%, it works perfectly! I'm sure if I left the computer
      actually running 24/7, then I would have no problems because you can
      switch off, launch etc as many times as you like and it will work
      perfectly, shut the computer down, no joy next time booting the
      programme up!
      It even worked on my 1st try with the beta 1.10 and I thought that it
      was cured, sadly we are back to square one again.
      Just to make sure that I have everything setout as it should be, can
      anyone please confirm that the original programme had 13 files in a
      folder called DVTool? Robin's beta only contains the new Jar file
      called DVTool 1.10beta, this beta merely replaced the original Jar
      file which can be deleted.
      The files are called: ascp, ascpseriald, ascpseriald.imac,
      ascpseriald.lnx, ascpseriald.pmac, dvtool, dvtool (MS-DOS), dvtool
      (Text), DVTool (Jar), dvtool.sh, dvtooldbg, dvtooldbg (MS-Dos) and
      finally dvtoolbg.sh.
      Starting can be achieved by double clicking the "jar" icon within the
      folder, or from the desktop.
      Assuming all is correct in the software section, and I am reasonably
      sure that it is, should I now suspect some intermittent problem on
      the Dongle itself? The fact that it boots up OK on the other Evesham
      computer, but drops out after a few seconds has always been
      attributed to lack of lustre if you like on the Evesham. The fact
      that on 5% of occasions it will work perfectly on the Mesh. Shutting
      down, i.e. disconnecting its power supply, and we are back to square
      one again. Obviously if I am to return the Dongle to Waters and
      Stanton for testing, I want to be as sure as I can be that there is
      some odd problem lurking inside the Bluebox!

      Thanks for any pointers

      Peter (G8ZQA)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2008
        Hi Peter. DVTool starts ascpseriald.{platform} and then connects to
        it via the localhost:20002 socket. Hardware problems with the dongle
        are possible but extremely rare. In fact, we've only had to replace
        one DV Dongle in it's history and that turned out not to be a
        hardware problem.

        Why don't we move this to direct email and then report the outcome to
        the group here so everyone can benefit. My email is aa4rc@....

        Could you forward the output from DVTool to my email? You should be
        able to run dvtooldbg.bat and then grab the dvtool.txt file it
        creates. Also, please include your hardware configuration.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "g8zqa" <peter.stonebridge@...>