RE: [DVDongle] DVTool 1.10beta1 available

  • peter@petertasker.co.uk
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 21, 2008

      Hi Robin,

      Thanks for a great improvement to an already 1st class tool.

      Just one question, when I run the beta software, everything is OK, however, after a short period of time the connection close.  This is preceded by a flash of the RED LED in the Dongle and the message “device local host 20002 closed” at the bottom of the Dongle screen.

      Any thoughts?

      73’s

      Peter

      G6VBJ

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 22, 2008
        Hi Peter. Could you switch back and forth between 1.05 and the beta
        to compare? I did not make any changes to the critical timing area
        in the code so it should behave just the same.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, <peter@...> wrote:

        > Hi Robin,
        >

        > Thanks for a great improvement to an already 1st class tool.
        >

        > Just one question, when I run the beta software, everything is OK,
        however,
        > after a short period of time the connection close. This is
        preceded by a
        > flash of the RED LED in the Dongle and the message "device local
        host 20002
        > closed" at the bottom of the Dongle screen.
        >

        > Any thoughts?
        >

        > 73's
        >

        > Peter
        >
        > G6VBJ
        >

        > _____

        Behalf
        > Of Robin Cutshaw
        > Sent: 21 September 2008 13:27
        > To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [DVDongle] DVTool 1.10beta1 available
        >

        > DVTool1.10beta1 is available at
        > http://www.opendsta <http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-
        1.10beta1.jar>
        > r.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta1.jar
        >
        > The main window size has been reduced to work on smaller displays.
        > User messages are now displayed and there is a history tab which
        > shows a history of user key ups.
        >
        > There is more debug information printed from this beta version. You
        > can ignore any warnings that print out.
        >
        > You can run the new version by downloading into your existing
        DVTool
        > folder, open a command window (DOS box), change the folder to your
        > DVTool folder, and then run "java -jar DVTool-1.10beta1.jar". You
        > should also be able to just double click on the jar file if you are
        > running Windows.
        >
        > I'll be releasing beta2, beta3, etc. so if beta1 is not on
        > opendstar.org, check for the other betas.

      • Fran Miele
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 22, 2008

          Pete,

          I had a similar problem, but mine would disconnect within seconds of connecting to a gateway. It turned out to be my firewall even though 1.05 worked fine. I just renamed 1.05 to dvtool.jar.old and renamed the new beta to the dvtool.jar and it seems to work fine now.

          Fran, W1FJM

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 22, 2008

            Robin, I agree with Peter. GREAT job!!! I really like the new interface too

            Fran, W1FJM

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 22, 2008
              Robin,

                    First let me say GOOD JOB. I like the additions and messaging will go great right
              under the "User Message". Installing under Win2k was a little bit of problems. I had
              registry entry complaints just copying file over the top of the old directory. Of course, I
              save before stating the install to another folder just in case of problems. So, next I delete
              all files under DVdongle folder and then did an EXTRACT. This took care of the REGistry
              problem, but now I was missing the "ascpseriald" comm interface. So, I then copy ALL of
              the ascpserial files from the old DVdongle/dvtool folder and pasted them into the NEW
              DVdongl/dvtool directory. Next, I had to do a RIGHT-CLICK and "Send To Desktop" which
              is actually create a shortcut on the desktop. This method probably hold true for Win98.
              Win-XP should not have these issues.

              Can not wait to test the next version as v1.10 beta 1 seems to be playing/talking just fine.

              My Wishlist Additions:

                   1. Red LED indicator telling the user Tx/Rx in case he/she forgets in "Lock" PTT
                       Mode to unclick the PTT for some reason.

                   2. Date/Time Stamping in HISTORY scrolling and sending the History buffer to .TXT
                       file by date (appended) would be nice.

                   3. Text Messaging would be highest Priority with scrolling RX buffer, Quick Message,
                       and Single line Tx Message using the Enter Key.

                   4. Next Highest Priority would be the ability to use the URCALL field or at least do a
                       direct station routing call. Also, would be nice to "Gateway Control" through this
                       field in case your out of town or not within gateway coverage.

              On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Adrian <vk4tux@...> wrote:

              Run

                java -jar DVTool-1.10beta1.jar

              from the DVTool folder in your dos(command prompt) box to see the output. It probably got disassociated with the rest of the dvtool program folder group, but output should show you some clues.

              vk4tux

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 22, 2008
                Users need to run the Audio Loopback Test to adjust the audio levels of their
                sound card via the Windows Audio Mixer. You need to adjust both PLAYBACK
                and RECORD for microphone. Some DVtool users are barely readable unless
                wearing headphones. This step is required in the setup of Echolink as well because
                not ALL headphone/mics are the same impedance and some require BOOST to
                be checked. The Logictec headset seem to work just fine, but some need the
                BOOST check in the ADVANCE button of the record mixer.

                Dennis

                On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

                At 10:26 PM 9/21/2008, you wrote:
                >DVTool1.10beta1 is available at
                >http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta1.jar

                Interface looks nice Robin. Unfortunately, I have an audio issue on
                the EeePC, no receive audio at all, though DVTool recognises the
                incoming data stream, and outgoing transmissions don't have any
                significant audio on them. These are probably EeePC specific issues,
                not any reflection on DVTool. Bit of a bummer, was hoping to be able
                to use that system instead of the Windows box.

                73 de VK3JED
                http://vkradio.com

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 22, 2008
                  Another probably most important item is either making a self-extracting .exe installer or
                  using Windows Installer for software first time install or upgrades.

                  This could also save settings (user) and history and debug files from being overwritten.

                  Leave the debug file intact as it could help you diagnose user issues.

                  Dennis

                  At 10:26 PM 9/21/2008, you wrote:
                  >DVTool1.10beta1 is available at
                  >http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta1.jar

                  Interface looks nice Robin. Unfortunately, I have an audio issue on
                  the EeePC, no receive audio at all, though DVTool recognises the
                  incoming data stream, and outgoing transmissions don't have any
                  significant audio on them. These are probably EeePC specific issues,
                  not any reflection on DVTool. Bit of a bummer, was hoping to be able
                  to use that system instead of the Windows box.

                  73 de VK3JED
                  http://vkradio.com

                  --
                  Regards,

                  Dennis, N5VRP
                  n5vrp.satx@...

                  Dstar User / Gateway Admin / D-PRS Provider
                  ARRL Member
                  Cactus-Intertie Member
                  AMSAT Member, President's Club

                  73's from SATX, EL09rk

                  --
                  Regards,

                  Dennis, N5VRP
                  n5vrp.satx@...

                  Dstar User / Gateway Admin / D-PRS Provider
                  ARRL Member
                  Cactus-Intertie Member
                  AMSAT Member, President's Club

                  73's from SATX, EL09rk

                • g8zqa
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 22, 2008
                    Hi Robin

                    Thanks very much for the new version. I've been tied up as you know for
                    a couple of weeks but tried the original programme version a few times
                    without success in the meantime. I had a hunch that the new beta
                    version may help with whatever the problem was here, and it has cured
                    the attempted double use of Port 20003! All working again!

                    Thankyou very much

                    Peter (G8ZQA)
                  • Tony Langdon
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 22, 2008
                      At 01:27 AM 9/23/2008, you wrote:
                      >Users need to run the Audio Loopback Test to adjust the audio levels of their
                      >sound card via the Windows Audio Mixer. You need to adjust both PLAYBACK
                      >and RECORD for microphone. Some DVtool users are barely readable unless
                      >wearing headphones. This step is required in the setup of Echolink
                      >as well because
                      >not ALL headphone/mics are the same impedance and some require BOOST to
                      >be checked. The Logictec headset seem to work just fine, but some need the
                      >BOOST check in the ADVANCE button of the record mixer.

                      That doesn't seem to be the problem. I think there's some driver
                      issue. The same machine runs Echolink fine with the same settings.

                      73 de VK3JED
                      http://vkradio.com
                    • g8zqa
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008
                        Unfortunately I spoke too soon! After about 5 hours listening to lots
                        of stations last evening, I decided to shut the computer down for the
                        night. I did actually close the programme and reboot it a few times to
                        check that all would be well next time, and then finally switched off
                        for the night.
                        Booted up computer this morning and straight into DVDongle in case
                        there were any Australians about. Back to square one with the error
                        message that 20002 cannot be opened! Nothing has changed, no other
                        programmes used before the Dongle, there is something very wierd
                        happening!

                        Cheers

                        Peter (G8ZQA)
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008
                          It sounds like it could be a personal firewall issue. Are you running
                          firewall/antivirus software?

                          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "g8zqa" <peter.stonebridge@...> wrote:

                          > Unfortunately I spoke too soon! After about 5 hours listening to lots
                          > of stations last evening, I decided to shut the computer down for the
                          > night. I did actually close the programme and reboot it a few times
                          > check that all would be well next time, and then finally switched off
                          > for the night.
                          > Booted up computer this morning and straight into DVDongle in case
                          > there were any Australians about. Back to square one with the error
                          > message that 20002 cannot be opened! Nothing has changed, no other
                          > programmes used before the Dongle, there is something very wierd
                          > happening!
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          >
                          > Peter (G8ZQA)

                        • Larry Bowman
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008
                            Robin:

                            Great JOB!

                            It took me a little time to get up and working -- as you say FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!  Bottom line is to have the have everthing working and then just download the new jar file into the same folder on the desk top.  I have restarted is about 12 times since last night.  The new screen size if perfect for the ASUS eeePC.  What a kick.  Very small computer with a G3 card.  I am set to have a lot of FUN

                            Thanks Robin for your efforts

                            Larry,  WB5UGC

                            On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Robin Cutshaw <aa4rc@...> wrote:

                            DVTool1.10beta1 is available at
                            http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta1.jar

                            The main window size has been reduced to work on smaller displays.
                            User messages are now displayed and there is a history tab which
                            shows a history of user key ups.

                            There is more debug information printed from this beta version. You
                            can ignore any warnings that print out.

                            You can run the new version by downloading into your existing DVTool
                            folder, open a command window (DOS box), change the folder to your
                            DVTool folder, and then run "java -jar DVTool-1.10beta1.jar". You
                            should also be able to just double click on the jar file if you are
                            running Windows.

                            I'll be releasing beta2, beta3, etc. so if beta1 is not on
                            opendstar.org, check for the other betas.

                          • aa7oo
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008

                              Robin,

                              I have been very impressed with your DVDongle software process. From a windows perspective, my first install went perfect. No problems and worked as advertised first time. No tweaking. On the first launch, my personal firewall asked if this application can run AND if it may have access to the internet. Answered yes and all has been cool since.

                              Beta Release:

                              Your beta instructions were flawless. Downloaded the .jar and moved it to DVTools folder first day. Launched the beta and away we go into the wild blue yonder.

                              Copied the .bat file to beta.bat and changed the start line to the new .jar file. This works however the pipe to the .txt freezes the dos window after .jar loads dongle. Edit start line and eliminated the pipe and all appears to works well.

                              The new dongle window is cleaner, adjustable size, and I like the idea of using function tabs. One needs to be careful about which tab is active when clicking “start”.

                              I consider it working right out of the box. Connected to our gateway and started talking. Good reports from all.

                              Three issues:

                              1. the history tab does not appear to collect any history after several days usage. I’m assuming this new feature is working. If not, then the idea is a good one and will make a nice log of activity to reference, provided it has a date & time stamp for each line. If it’s broke, any idea where to start.
                              2. the DVtool DOS window has a nasty formatted boot record for techies.
                              3. the DVtool doesn’t show all the streaming packets. However when logged into gateway and viewing dplus, the packet streams are shown along with the total number in the transmission. However it also is reporting about 5-15 % of the total as missing. No one is reporting any problem with my voice quality nor am I hearing any quality issue with received voice. Are these reported missing packets not enough to be perceived as impacting to voice quality? There is no R2D2 in any transmissions. I would expect dropouts in voice with missing packets, but with clean sounding voice, this may just be packets that are received late or out of order and dplus is reporting them prior to be assembled in the final voice stream? Yes/no/all wet?

                              Norm

                              Norm Johnson, aa7oo

                              W7MOT Dstar Administrator

                              Today: Page Springs , Arizona

                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008
                                At 11:29 PM 9/23/2008, you wrote:
                                >Robin:
                                >
                                >Great JOB!
                                >
                                >It took me a little time to get up and working -- as you say FOLLOW
                                >THE INSTRUCTIONS!! Bottom line is to have the have everthing
                                >working and then just download the new jar file into the same folder
                                >on the desk top. I have restarted is about 12 times since last
                                >night. The new screen size if perfect for the ASUS eeePC. What a
                                >kick. Very small computer with a G3 card. I am set to have a lot of FUN

                                If you're running an EeePC, what OS are you running, and what
                                model? I had audio issues on my Linux EeePC 900.

                                73 de VK3JED
                                http://vkradio.com
                              • bty863644
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 24, 2008
                                  Where do you download the Beta from? I downloded the latest version
                                  when I bought the unit yesterday. Or should I not do it just yet?
                                  Rgds
                                  Chas
                                  GM4WIE

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 24, 2008
                                    Hi Chas. Check for the original message with the subject line
                                    above. It was the announcement of the beta and where to get it.

                                    To run the beta, you need to install the production release code
                                    first and then the beta code.

                                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "bty863644" <c.holloway1@...> wrote:

                                    > Where do you download the Beta from? I downloded the latest version
                                    > when I bought the unit yesterday. Or should I not do it just yet?
                                    > Rgds
                                    > Chas
                                    > GM4WIE
                                    >
                                    > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > At 11:29 PM 9/23/2008, you wrote:
                                    > > >Robin:
                                    > > >
                                    > > >Great JOB!
                                    > > >
                                    > > >It took me a little time to get up and working -- as you say
                                    > FOLLOW
                                    > > >THE INSTRUCTIONS!! Bottom line is to have the have everthing
                                    > > >working and then just download the new jar file into the same
                                    > folder
                                    > > >on the desk top. I have restarted is about 12 times since last
                                    > > >night. The new screen size if perfect for the ASUS eeePC. What
                                    > > >kick. Very small computer with a G3 card. I am set to have a
                                    lot
                                    > of FUN
                                    > >
                                    > > If you're running an EeePC, what OS are you running, and what
                                    > > model? I had audio issues on my Linux EeePC 900.
                                    > >
                                    > > 73 de VK3JED
                                    > > http://vkradio.com

                                  • Mark
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 1, 2008
                                      Robin -

                                      I get an error "Invalid or Corrupt jarfile" when I double click on
                                      it.

                                      I guess I should have tried this at the DCC when I was sitting
                                      nearby you.

                                      73, Mark, WB9QZB

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 2, 2008
                                        Hi Mark. Try re-downloading first. If that doesn't work, rename
                                        your old DVTool.jar file and then rename the beta to DVTool.jar and
                                        run dvtool.bat.

                                        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <wb9qzb@...> wrote:

                                        > Robin -
                                        >
                                        > I get an error "Invalid or Corrupt jarfile" when I double click on
                                        > it.
                                        >
                                        > I guess I should have tried this at the DCC when I was sitting
                                        > nearby you.
                                        >
                                        > 73, Mark, WB9QZB
                                        >
                                        > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Cutshaw" <aa4rc@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > DVTool1.10beta1 is available at
                                        > > http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta1.jar
                                        > >
                                        > > The main window size has been reduced to work on smaller displays.
                                        > > User messages are now displayed and there is a history tab which
                                        > > shows a history of user key ups.
                                        > >
                                        > > There is more debug information printed from this beta version.
                                        > You
                                        > > can ignore any warnings that print out.
                                        > >
                                        > > You can run the new version by downloading into your existing
                                        > DVTool
                                        > > folder, open a command window (DOS box), change the folder to your
                                        > > DVTool folder, and then run "java -jar DVTool-1.10beta1.jar". You
                                        > > should also be able to just double click on the jar file if you
                                        are
                                        > > running Windows.
                                        > >
                                        > > I'll be releasing beta2, beta3, etc. so if beta1 is not on
                                        > > opendstar.org, check for the other betas.

                                      • Greg Forrest
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 2, 2008
                                          Mark:

                                          I had the same problem here; but I noticed that the size of the file shown
                                          on the opendstar site was greater than the one I downloaded in Win2K. Tried
                                          two more times and no change. I then went to an XP machine and it worked
                                          fine. I am guessing it is some setting in the different browser versions.
                                          Never determined what it was.

                                          Greg
                                          N6LDJ