Re: First Post or Second Post

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "moe_wheatley" <ae4jy@...> wrote:

      > So the DVDongle(Digital Voice Dongle) idea was hatched over a few
      > beers and too little sleep. The idea was to make a little board that
      > would plug into a PC USB port and would contain all the DVSI hardware
      > and interface stuff to allow the PC to send and receive compressed
      > voice data and get normal soundcard uncompressed style data from the
      > dongle. This would allow one to use a PC soundcard to send and
      > receive the dstar compressed voice data.

      Good work Moe, I'm sure the DVDongle will be a winner. I can see so
      many uses for this particular piece of hardware. In D-STAR, I'd
      imagine it could also be used to implement a D-STAR SDR, with the
      modulation done in a PC, and the voice compression using the DV
      Dongle. It's also theoretically possible for existing VoIP systems to
      use the DVDongle to add a "high compression, low overhead" mode to
      their software.

      The sky's the limit from what I can see. I'm a bit short of funds
      ATM, otherwise I'd have ordered a DVDongle to play with.
    • joelalumia@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2013
        Just to add my 2 cents worth... I recently bought a "used" DVdongle and I must say it is easier than using my 880H to link and unlink the local repeaters to other repeaters and or a reflector. With the dongle you can jump around with essentially 2 clicks of the mouse and connect everywhere.

        This can be useful while watching the dstarusers.org Last Heard web site.... and of course you can hit repeaters that are not in range of your radio.

        73

        Joe W1XWX

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <vk3jed@...> wrote:

        > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "moe_wheatley" <ae4jy@> wrote:
        > >

        > > So the DVDongle(Digital Voice Dongle) idea was hatched over a few
        > > beers and too little sleep. The idea was to make a little board that
        > > would plug into a PC USB port and would contain all the DVSI hardware
        > > and interface stuff to allow the PC to send and receive compressed
        > > voice data and get normal soundcard uncompressed style data from the
        > > dongle. This would allow one to use a PC soundcard to send and
        > > receive the dstar compressed voice data.
        >
        > Good work Moe, I'm sure the DVDongle will be a winner. I can see so
        > many uses for this particular piece of hardware. In D-STAR, I'd
        > imagine it could also be used to implement a D-STAR SDR, with the
        > modulation done in a PC, and the voice compression using the DV
        > Dongle. It's also theoretically possible for existing VoIP systems to
        > use the DVDongle to add a "high compression, low overhead" mode to
        > their software.
        >
        > The sky's the limit from what I can see. I'm a bit short of funds
        > ATM, otherwise I'd have ordered a DVDongle to play with.

      • Carlton Stacks
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2013
          Thanks Joe. Found different software late yesterday evening. Loaded with no problem. Even works on a netbook.
          Wanted to use the DVDongle on trips. Easier to use then having to code in repeaters on my 80AD.

          73,

          Carlton
          KJ6OIO