Re: Using DV-Tool on a Netbook PC ?

  • John
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 31, 2008

      > Hi John. That enhancement is on the list. :)

      Thats great news Robin, us Netbook users are looking forward to that,
      i assume you will be announcing it here for all to see ?

      73 John Mi0AAZ.
    • Nate Duehr
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008
        Tony Langdon wrote:

        > I had the same problem on an EeePC. Changing the screen resolution
        > isn't an option, because unless I connect an external monitor, I
        > can't change the settings (short of hacking xorg.conf by hand, in any case).

        Tony,

        As a workaround could you turn on the "virtual desktop" stuff in X,
        where you can "pan around" a larger screen?

        (Where the "desktop" is quite a bit larger than the "viewing window" of
        the main screen resolution...)

        I don't like setting up my laptops that way, but it would at least get
        it so you could see the whole thing...

        It's not as easy to do on Windows (that I know of) or on Mac, but on
        Linux, it's "do-able" if X is set up correctly.

        Nate WY0X
      • Tony Langdon
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008
          At 02:38 AM 9/3/2008, you wrote:

          >As a workaround could you turn on the "virtual desktop" stuff in X,
          >where you can "pan around" a larger screen?

          Have to find it, probably have to fish through xorg.conf, since it's
          not available in the GUI. Time to RTFM. ;)

          73 de VK3JED
          http://vkradio.com
        • Bob G4FHN
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 3, 2008
            Hi all,

            My DV dongle was working perfectly up until a week or so ago.
            Now I find that I can connect to REF005 module A and hear audio from it,
            but the green PTT button on my DVtool screen is inactive and I can't
            transmit to the reflector.

            I also notice that on starting DVtool it preselects "Primary Sound
            Capture Driver" and "Java Sound Audio Engine" as the audio input/output.
            I can't remember whether it used to do this previously but changing to
            my onboard soundcard makes no difference.
            I can hear traffic on the reflector but I can not transmit.

            I've tried other reflectors and repeaters with the same result.

            The following is the typical output in DVtool.txt

            Operating System Windows XP
            mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size 3200
            mixer Software mixer and synthesizer max output buf size 3200
            mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size 3200
            mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback max output buf size 3200
            ascpio socket control datagram received
            ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED

            Connecting to gateway REF005
            ascpio socket control datagram received
            ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED
            Login OK RO
            Logged into gateway REF005

            audio output buffer empty (delta -58)
            disconnected from /193.119.132.159
            IOException receive socket closed

            watchdog thread exit
            IOException receive socket closed
            disconnected from localhost/127.0.0.1
            Device localhost:20002 shutdown
            Device localhost:20002 closed
            watchdog thread exit

            This seems to be peculiar to my G4FHN and G8LMC callsigns as if I input
            another Dstar users call, everything is fine and dandy.A quick blip on
            the PTT and the call appears on www.ukit.org.uk/ref005alh.html

            Any ideas?

            Regards

            Bob G4FHN,G8LMC
          • Bob G4FHN
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 3, 2008
              Further to my last mail, the problem only seems to occur when trying to
              transmit on reflectors

              Regards

              Bob G4FHN,G8LMC
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 3, 2008
                This past week, the reflectors were changed so that you must be a
                registered dstar user to transmit. Please make sure you are
                registered on a gateway on the net. You only have to be registered
                on one to have access to them all.

                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Bob G4FHN <g4fhn@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > My DV dongle was working perfectly up until a week or so ago.
                > Now I find that I can connect to REF005 module A and hear audio
                from it,
                > but the green PTT button on my DVtool screen is inactive and I
                can't
                > transmit to the reflector.
                >
                > I also notice that on starting DVtool it preselects "Primary Sound
                > Capture Driver" and "Java Sound Audio Engine" as the audio
                input/output.
                > I can't remember whether it used to do this previously but changing
                > my onboard soundcard makes no difference.
                > I can hear traffic on the reflector but I can not transmit.
                >
                > I've tried other reflectors and repeaters with the same result.
                >
                > The following is the typical output in DVtool.txt

                > Operating System Windows XP
                > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                3200
                > mixer Software mixer and synthesizer max output buf size 3200
                > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                3200
                > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback max output buf size
                3200
                > ascpio socket control datagram received
                > ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED
                >

                > Connecting to gateway REF005
                > ascpio socket control datagram received
                > ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED
                > Login OK RO
                > Logged into gateway REF005
                >
                > audio output buffer empty (delta -58)
                > disconnected from /193.119.132.159
                > IOException receive socket closed
                >
                > watchdog thread exit
                > IOException receive socket closed
                > disconnected from localhost/127.0.0.1
                > Device localhost:20002 shutdown
                > Device localhost:20002 closed
                > watchdog thread exit

                -----

                > This seems to be peculiar to my G4FHN and G8LMC callsigns as if I
                input
                > another Dstar users call, everything is fine and dandy.A quick blip
                on
                > the PTT and the call appears on www.ukit.org.uk/ref005alh.html
                >
                > Any ideas?
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Bob G4FHN,G8LMC

              • Ken Bryant
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 3, 2008
                  I was registered and re-registered in case that was the problem in just in the past few days.

                  Still no TX, but can RX fine.

                  Do we really know what the problem is?

                  How can I check my registration went through for KF4CZB?

                  Thanks,

                  Ken

                  This past week, the reflectors were changed so that you must be a
                  registered dstar user to transmit. Please make sure you are
                  registered on a gateway on the net. You only have to be registered
                  on one to have access to them all.

                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, Bob G4FHN <g4fhn@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > My DV
                  dongle was working perfectly up until a week or so ago.
                  > Now I find that
                  I can connect to REF005 module A and hear audio
                  from it,
                  > but the
                  green PTT button on my DVtool screen is inactive and I
                  can't

                  transmit to the reflector.

                  > I also notice that on starting
                  DVtool it preselects "Primary Sound
                  > Capture Driver" and "Java Sound
                  Audio Engine" as the audio
                  input/output.
                  > I can't remember whether it
                  used to do this previously but changing
                  > my onboard soundcard
                  makes no difference.
                  > I can hear traffic on the reflector but I can not
                  transmit.

                  > I've tried other reflectors and repeaters with the
                  same result.

                  > The following is the typical output in
                  DVtool.txt

                  > Operating System Windows XP
                  > mixer Direct Audio Device:
                  DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                  3200
                  > mixer Software mixer and
                  synthesizer max output buf size 3200
                  > mixer Direct Audio Device:
                  DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                  3200
                  > mixer Direct Audio
                  Device: DirectSound Playback max output buf size
                  3200
                  > ascpio socket
                  control datagram received
                  > ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to
                  CONNECTED

                  > Connecting to gateway
                  REF005
                  > ascpio socket control datagram received
                  > ASCPSocket
                  changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED
                  > Login OK RO
                  > Logged into
                  gateway REF005

                  > audio output buffer empty (delta -58)

                  disconnected from /193.119.132. 159
                  > IOException receive socket
                  closed

                  > watchdog thread exit
                  > IOException receive socket
                  closed
                  > disconnected from localhost/127. 0.0.1
                  > Device
                  localhost:20002 shutdown
                  > Device localhost:20002 closed
                  > watchdog
                  thread exit

                  -----

                  > This seems to be peculiar to my G4FHN and G8LMC callsigns as if I
                  input
                  > another Dstar users call, everything is fine and dandy.A
                  quick blip
                  on
                  > the PTT and the call appears on
                  www.ukit.org. uk/ref005alh. html

                  > Any ideas?
                  >
                  > Regards
                  >
                  > Bob G4FHN,G8LMC

                • Ken Bryant
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 4, 2008
                    Now that I have re-registered, I can TX on gateways but I can still not PTT on REF001.

                    This past week, the reflectors were changed so that you must be a
                    registered dstar user to transmit. Please make sure you are
                    registered on a gateway on the net. You only have to be registered
                    on one to have access to them all.

                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, Bob G4FHN <g4fhn@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > My DV
                    dongle was working perfectly up until a week or so ago.
                    > Now I find that
                    I can connect to REF005 module A and hear audio
                    from it,
                    > but the
                    green PTT button on my DVtool screen is inactive and I
                    can't

                    transmit to the reflector.

                    > I also notice that on starting
                    DVtool it preselects "Primary Sound
                    > Capture Driver" and "Java Sound
                    Audio Engine" as the audio
                    input/output.
                    > I can't remember whether it
                    used to do this previously but changing
                    > my onboard soundcard
                    makes no difference.
                    > I can hear traffic on the reflector but I can not
                    transmit.

                    > I've tried other reflectors and repeaters with the
                    same result.

                    > The following is the typical output in
                    DVtool.txt

                    > Operating System Windows XP
                    > mixer Direct Audio Device:
                    DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                    3200
                    > mixer Software mixer and
                    synthesizer max output buf size 3200
                    > mixer Direct Audio Device:
                    DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                    3200
                    > mixer Direct Audio
                    Device: DirectSound Playback max output buf size
                    3200
                    > ascpio socket
                    control datagram received
                    > ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to
                    CONNECTED

                    > Connecting to gateway
                    REF005
                    > ascpio socket control datagram received
                    > ASCPSocket
                    changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED
                    > Login OK RO
                    > Logged into
                    gateway REF005

                    > audio output buffer empty (delta -58)

                    disconnected from /193.119.132. 159
                    > IOException receive socket
                    closed

                    > watchdog thread exit
                    > IOException receive socket
                    closed
                    > disconnected from localhost/127. 0.0.1
                    > Device
                    localhost:20002 shutdown
                    > Device localhost:20002 closed
                    > watchdog
                    thread exit

                    -----

                    > This seems to be peculiar to my G4FHN and G8LMC callsigns as if I
                    input
                    > another Dstar users call, everything is fine and dandy.A
                    quick blip
                    on
                    > the PTT and the call appears on
                    www.ukit.org. uk/ref005alh. html

                    > Any ideas?
                    >
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > Bob G4FHN,G8LMC

                  • HB9MTN/5B4AGV, Ed
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                      Robin,

                      I wonder if Java or what ever language you use for programming DV-Tool
                      allows for different contents depending on the window status
                      "maximized", "normal" and "minimized".
                      If you start up in "maximized" instead of "normal" like at present,
                      you would see the normal screen and after switching to "normal" you
                      would see a reduced screen with all the necessary information needed
                      once you are logged on.

                      I used that method in a VB6 Software I wrote for contlolling Magnetic
                      Loop Antennas, see

                      http://www.qsl.net/hb9mtn/hb9mtn_loopcontrol.html

                      In the Photos section you find two pictures to explain what I mean

                      73, HB9MTN/5B4AGV, Ed

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                        I find that is irritating as well...

                        but I am still thankful to Robin and thanks for the suggestion!

                        Kenneth L. Bryant
                        KF4CZB

                        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, "Robin Cutshaw" <aa4rc@...> wrote:

                        > Hi John. That
                        enhancement is on the list. :)

                      • Mark Phillips
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                          Why not just change the format to be horizontal rather than vertical?

                          On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 09:16 +0000, HB9MTN/5B4AGV, Ed wrote:
                          > Robin,
                          >
                          > I wonder if Java or what ever language you use for programming DV-Tool
                          > allows for different contents depending on the window status
                          > "maximized", "normal" and "minimized".
                          > If you start up in "maximized" instead of "normal" like at present,
                          > you would see the normal screen and after switching to "normal" you
                          > would see a reduced screen with all the necessary information needed
                          > once you are logged on.
                          >
                          > I used that method in a VB6 Software I wrote for contlolling Magnetic
                          > Loop Antennas, see
                          >
                          > http://www.qsl.net/hb9mtn/hb9mtn_loopcontrol.html
                          >
                          > In the Photos section you find two pictures to explain what I mean
                          >
                          > 73, HB9MTN/5B4AGV, Ed
                          >

                          > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Cutshaw" <aa4rc@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi John. That enhancement is on the list. :)

                          Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                          Randolph, NJ
                        • John
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                            Robin AA4RC:

                            Any sign of the update for DV-Tool yet so i can make the Java window
                            fit into the Display on my Acer Aspire One ?

                            73 John Mi0AAZ.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                              Hi John. Did you try the beta of 1.10? It was made smaller just for
                              you! :)

                              --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "John" <mi0aaz@...> wrote:

                              > Robin AA4RC:
                              >
                              > Any sign of the update for DV-Tool yet so i can make the Java window
                              > fit into the Display on my Acer Aspire One ?
                              >
                              > 73 John Mi0AAZ.

                            • Mark Phillips
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                                Make that a second request!

                                --

                                Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                                Randolph, NJ
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008

                                  I loaded and used Beta 2.  Is there a later version?  I’m just getting back from out of town today.

                                  John

                                  Hi John. Did you try the beta of 1.10? It was made smaller just for
                                  you! :)

                                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "John" <mi0aaz@...> wrote:

                                  > Robin AA4RC:
                                  >
                                  > Any sign of the update for DV-Tool yet so i can make the Java window
                                  > fit into the Display on my Acer Aspire One ?
                                  >
                                  > 73 John Mi0AAZ.

                                • Tony Langdon
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                                    At 01:16 AM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
                                    >Hi John. Did you try the beta of 1.10? It was made smaller just for
                                    >you! :)

                                    The 1.10 beta certainly fitted on my EeePC screen. Unfortunately,
                                    DVTool didn't like running on the EeePC (Linux). It went through all
                                    the motions, but didn't seem to pass sound in either direction. All
                                    other VoIP apps (Echolink, Teamspeak, etc) run perfectly on the EeePC.

                                    73 de VK3JED
                                    http://vkradio.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                                      Guess I'll have to get one and play with it. :)

                                      Did you try changing the sound input/output devices in DVTool?

                                      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

                                      > At 01:16 AM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
                                      > >Hi John. Did you try the beta of 1.10? It was made smaller just for
                                      > >you! :)
                                      >
                                      > The 1.10 beta certainly fitted on my EeePC screen. Unfortunately,
                                      > DVTool didn't like running on the EeePC (Linux). It went through all
                                      > the motions, but didn't seem to pass sound in either direction. All
                                      > other VoIP apps (Echolink, Teamspeak, etc) run perfectly on the EeePC.
                                      >
                                      > 73 de VK3JED
                                      > http://vkradio.com

                                    • Tony Langdon
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                                        At 12:01 PM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
                                        >Guess I'll have to get one and play with it. :)
                                        >
                                        >Did you try changing the sound input/output devices in DVTool?

                                        Weren't a lot of options if I recall... But I'm sure I
                                        did... Mine's an EeePC 900 with the default Xandros (and some extra
                                        packages added) in Advanced mode.

                                        73 de VK3JED
                                        http://vkradio.com