Re: [DVDongle] Using DV-Tool on a Netbook PC ?

  • Tony Langdon
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 31, 2008
      At 06:05 AM 9/1/2008, you wrote:
      >Hello Group.
      >
      >Wonder of any of you have tried the DV-Tool software on a Netbook type
      >PC ? The reason i ask is that i have just purchased an Acer Aspire One
      >with 120GB Hard Disk, 1GB of RAM running Windows XP and i find that DV
      >Tool is way to big for the screen space which i have on this Netbook ?
      >I have tried changing the resolution which is rather limited to 800 X
      >600 or 1024 X 600 pixels. If a version of DV-Tool was available that
      >you could set the size of the Java window to suit this would be very
      >helpful.

      I had the same problem on an EeePC. Changing the screen resolution
      isn't an option, because unless I connect an external monitor, I
      can't change the settings (short of hacking xorg.conf by hand, in any case).

      Robin says that enhancement is coming. It would certainly help me,
      as I can then move DVTool off a RAM constrained laptop, and onto the
      EeePC, which has 4 times the RAM.

      73 de VK3JED
      http://vkradio.com
    • John
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 31, 2008

        > Hi John. That enhancement is on the list. :)

        Thats great news Robin, us Netbook users are looking forward to that,
        i assume you will be announcing it here for all to see ?

        73 John Mi0AAZ.
      • Nate Duehr
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008
          Tony Langdon wrote:

          > I had the same problem on an EeePC. Changing the screen resolution
          > isn't an option, because unless I connect an external monitor, I
          > can't change the settings (short of hacking xorg.conf by hand, in any case).

          Tony,

          As a workaround could you turn on the "virtual desktop" stuff in X,
          where you can "pan around" a larger screen?

          (Where the "desktop" is quite a bit larger than the "viewing window" of
          the main screen resolution...)

          I don't like setting up my laptops that way, but it would at least get
          it so you could see the whole thing...

          It's not as easy to do on Windows (that I know of) or on Mac, but on
          Linux, it's "do-able" if X is set up correctly.

          Nate WY0X
        • Tony Langdon
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008
            At 02:38 AM 9/3/2008, you wrote:

            >As a workaround could you turn on the "virtual desktop" stuff in X,
            >where you can "pan around" a larger screen?

            Have to find it, probably have to fish through xorg.conf, since it's
            not available in the GUI. Time to RTFM. ;)

            73 de VK3JED
            http://vkradio.com
          • Bob G4FHN
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 3, 2008
              Hi all,

              My DV dongle was working perfectly up until a week or so ago.
              Now I find that I can connect to REF005 module A and hear audio from it,
              but the green PTT button on my DVtool screen is inactive and I can't
              transmit to the reflector.

              I also notice that on starting DVtool it preselects "Primary Sound
              Capture Driver" and "Java Sound Audio Engine" as the audio input/output.
              I can't remember whether it used to do this previously but changing to
              my onboard soundcard makes no difference.
              I can hear traffic on the reflector but I can not transmit.

              I've tried other reflectors and repeaters with the same result.

              The following is the typical output in DVtool.txt

              Operating System Windows XP
              mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size 3200
              mixer Software mixer and synthesizer max output buf size 3200
              mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size 3200
              mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback max output buf size 3200
              ascpio socket control datagram received
              ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED

              Connecting to gateway REF005
              ascpio socket control datagram received
              ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED
              Login OK RO
              Logged into gateway REF005

              audio output buffer empty (delta -58)
              disconnected from /193.119.132.159
              IOException receive socket closed

              watchdog thread exit
              IOException receive socket closed
              disconnected from localhost/127.0.0.1
              Device localhost:20002 shutdown
              Device localhost:20002 closed
              watchdog thread exit

              This seems to be peculiar to my G4FHN and G8LMC callsigns as if I input
              another Dstar users call, everything is fine and dandy.A quick blip on
              the PTT and the call appears on www.ukit.org.uk/ref005alh.html

              Any ideas?

              Regards

              Bob G4FHN,G8LMC
            • Bob G4FHN
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 3, 2008
                Further to my last mail, the problem only seems to occur when trying to
                transmit on reflectors

                Regards

                Bob G4FHN,G8LMC
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 3, 2008
                  This past week, the reflectors were changed so that you must be a
                  registered dstar user to transmit. Please make sure you are
                  registered on a gateway on the net. You only have to be registered
                  on one to have access to them all.

                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Bob G4FHN <g4fhn@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > My DV dongle was working perfectly up until a week or so ago.
                  > Now I find that I can connect to REF005 module A and hear audio
                  from it,
                  > but the green PTT button on my DVtool screen is inactive and I
                  can't
                  > transmit to the reflector.
                  >
                  > I also notice that on starting DVtool it preselects "Primary Sound
                  > Capture Driver" and "Java Sound Audio Engine" as the audio
                  input/output.
                  > I can't remember whether it used to do this previously but changing
                  > my onboard soundcard makes no difference.
                  > I can hear traffic on the reflector but I can not transmit.
                  >
                  > I've tried other reflectors and repeaters with the same result.
                  >
                  > The following is the typical output in DVtool.txt

                  > Operating System Windows XP
                  > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                  3200
                  > mixer Software mixer and synthesizer max output buf size 3200
                  > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                  3200
                  > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback max output buf size
                  3200
                  > ascpio socket control datagram received
                  > ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED
                  >

                  > Connecting to gateway REF005
                  > ascpio socket control datagram received
                  > ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED
                  > Login OK RO
                  > Logged into gateway REF005
                  >
                  > audio output buffer empty (delta -58)
                  > disconnected from /193.119.132.159
                  > IOException receive socket closed
                  >
                  > watchdog thread exit
                  > IOException receive socket closed
                  > disconnected from localhost/127.0.0.1
                  > Device localhost:20002 shutdown
                  > Device localhost:20002 closed
                  > watchdog thread exit

                  -----

                  > This seems to be peculiar to my G4FHN and G8LMC callsigns as if I
                  input
                  > another Dstar users call, everything is fine and dandy.A quick blip
                  on
                  > the PTT and the call appears on www.ukit.org.uk/ref005alh.html
                  >
                  > Any ideas?
                  >
                  > Regards
                  >
                  > Bob G4FHN,G8LMC

                • Ken Bryant
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 3, 2008
                    I was registered and re-registered in case that was the problem in just in the past few days.

                    Still no TX, but can RX fine.

                    Do we really know what the problem is?

                    How can I check my registration went through for KF4CZB?

                    Thanks,

                    Ken

                    This past week, the reflectors were changed so that you must be a
                    registered dstar user to transmit. Please make sure you are
                    registered on a gateway on the net. You only have to be registered
                    on one to have access to them all.

                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, Bob G4FHN <g4fhn@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > My DV
                    dongle was working perfectly up until a week or so ago.
                    > Now I find that
                    I can connect to REF005 module A and hear audio
                    from it,
                    > but the
                    green PTT button on my DVtool screen is inactive and I
                    can't

                    transmit to the reflector.

                    > I also notice that on starting
                    DVtool it preselects "Primary Sound
                    > Capture Driver" and "Java Sound
                    Audio Engine" as the audio
                    input/output.
                    > I can't remember whether it
                    used to do this previously but changing
                    > my onboard soundcard
                    makes no difference.
                    > I can hear traffic on the reflector but I can not
                    transmit.

                    > I've tried other reflectors and repeaters with the
                    same result.

                    > The following is the typical output in
                    DVtool.txt

                    > Operating System Windows XP
                    > mixer Direct Audio Device:
                    DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                    3200
                    > mixer Software mixer and
                    synthesizer max output buf size 3200
                    > mixer Direct Audio Device:
                    DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                    3200
                    > mixer Direct Audio
                    Device: DirectSound Playback max output buf size
                    3200
                    > ascpio socket
                    control datagram received
                    > ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to
                    CONNECTED

                    > Connecting to gateway
                    REF005
                    > ascpio socket control datagram received
                    > ASCPSocket
                    changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED
                    > Login OK RO
                    > Logged into
                    gateway REF005

                    > audio output buffer empty (delta -58)

                    disconnected from /193.119.132. 159
                    > IOException receive socket
                    closed

                    > watchdog thread exit
                    > IOException receive socket
                    closed
                    > disconnected from localhost/127. 0.0.1
                    > Device
                    localhost:20002 shutdown
                    > Device localhost:20002 closed
                    > watchdog
                    thread exit

                    -----

                    > This seems to be peculiar to my G4FHN and G8LMC callsigns as if I
                    input
                    > another Dstar users call, everything is fine and dandy.A
                    quick blip
                    on
                    > the PTT and the call appears on
                    www.ukit.org. uk/ref005alh. html

                    > Any ideas?
                    >
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > Bob G4FHN,G8LMC

                  • Ken Bryant
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 4, 2008
                      Now that I have re-registered, I can TX on gateways but I can still not PTT on REF001.

                      This past week, the reflectors were changed so that you must be a
                      registered dstar user to transmit. Please make sure you are
                      registered on a gateway on the net. You only have to be registered
                      on one to have access to them all.

                      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, Bob G4FHN <g4fhn@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > My DV
                      dongle was working perfectly up until a week or so ago.
                      > Now I find that
                      I can connect to REF005 module A and hear audio
                      from it,
                      > but the
                      green PTT button on my DVtool screen is inactive and I
                      can't

                      transmit to the reflector.

                      > I also notice that on starting
                      DVtool it preselects "Primary Sound
                      > Capture Driver" and "Java Sound
                      Audio Engine" as the audio
                      input/output.
                      > I can't remember whether it
                      used to do this previously but changing
                      > my onboard soundcard
                      makes no difference.
                      > I can hear traffic on the reflector but I can not
                      transmit.

                      > I've tried other reflectors and repeaters with the
                      same result.

                      > The following is the typical output in
                      DVtool.txt

                      > Operating System Windows XP
                      > mixer Direct Audio Device:
                      DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                      3200
                      > mixer Software mixer and
                      synthesizer max output buf size 3200
                      > mixer Direct Audio Device:
                      DirectSound Capture max input buf size
                      3200
                      > mixer Direct Audio
                      Device: DirectSound Playback max output buf size
                      3200
                      > ascpio socket
                      control datagram received
                      > ASCPSocket changed from CONNECTWAIT to
                      CONNECTED

                      > Connecting to gateway
                      REF005
                      > ascpio socket control datagram received
                      > ASCPSocket
                      changed from CONNECTWAIT to CONNECTED
                      > Login OK RO
                      > Logged into
                      gateway REF005

                      > audio output buffer empty (delta -58)

                      disconnected from /193.119.132. 159
                      > IOException receive socket
                      closed

                      > watchdog thread exit
                      > IOException receive socket
                      closed
                      > disconnected from localhost/127. 0.0.1
                      > Device
                      localhost:20002 shutdown
                      > Device localhost:20002 closed
                      > watchdog
                      thread exit

                      -----

                      > This seems to be peculiar to my G4FHN and G8LMC callsigns as if I
                      input
                      > another Dstar users call, everything is fine and dandy.A
                      quick blip
                      on
                      > the PTT and the call appears on
                      www.ukit.org. uk/ref005alh. html

                      > Any ideas?
                      >
                      > Regards
                      >
                      > Bob G4FHN,G8LMC

                    • HB9MTN/5B4AGV, Ed
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                        Robin,

                        I wonder if Java or what ever language you use for programming DV-Tool
                        allows for different contents depending on the window status
                        "maximized", "normal" and "minimized".
                        If you start up in "maximized" instead of "normal" like at present,
                        you would see the normal screen and after switching to "normal" you
                        would see a reduced screen with all the necessary information needed
                        once you are logged on.

                        I used that method in a VB6 Software I wrote for contlolling Magnetic
                        Loop Antennas, see

                        http://www.qsl.net/hb9mtn/hb9mtn_loopcontrol.html

                        In the Photos section you find two pictures to explain what I mean

                        73, HB9MTN/5B4AGV, Ed

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                          I find that is irritating as well...

                          but I am still thankful to Robin and thanks for the suggestion!

                          Kenneth L. Bryant
                          KF4CZB

                          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, "Robin Cutshaw" <aa4rc@...> wrote:

                          > Hi John. That
                          enhancement is on the list. :)

                        • Mark Phillips
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                            Why not just change the format to be horizontal rather than vertical?

                            On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 09:16 +0000, HB9MTN/5B4AGV, Ed wrote:
                            > Robin,
                            >
                            > I wonder if Java or what ever language you use for programming DV-Tool
                            > allows for different contents depending on the window status
                            > "maximized", "normal" and "minimized".
                            > If you start up in "maximized" instead of "normal" like at present,
                            > you would see the normal screen and after switching to "normal" you
                            > would see a reduced screen with all the necessary information needed
                            > once you are logged on.
                            >
                            > I used that method in a VB6 Software I wrote for contlolling Magnetic
                            > Loop Antennas, see
                            >
                            > http://www.qsl.net/hb9mtn/hb9mtn_loopcontrol.html
                            >
                            > In the Photos section you find two pictures to explain what I mean
                            >
                            > 73, HB9MTN/5B4AGV, Ed
                            >

                            > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Cutshaw" <aa4rc@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi John. That enhancement is on the list. :)

                            Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                            Randolph, NJ
                          • John
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                              Robin AA4RC:

                              Any sign of the update for DV-Tool yet so i can make the Java window
                              fit into the Display on my Acer Aspire One ?

                              73 John Mi0AAZ.
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                                Hi John. Did you try the beta of 1.10? It was made smaller just for
                                you! :)

                                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "John" <mi0aaz@...> wrote:

                                > Robin AA4RC:
                                >
                                > Any sign of the update for DV-Tool yet so i can make the Java window
                                > fit into the Display on my Acer Aspire One ?
                                >
                                > 73 John Mi0AAZ.

                              • Mark Phillips
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                                  Make that a second request!

                                  --

                                  Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                                  Randolph, NJ
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008

                                    I loaded and used Beta 2.  Is there a later version?  I’m just getting back from out of town today.

                                    John

                                    Hi John. Did you try the beta of 1.10? It was made smaller just for
                                    you! :)

                                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "John" <mi0aaz@...> wrote:

                                    > Robin AA4RC:
                                    >
                                    > Any sign of the update for DV-Tool yet so i can make the Java window
                                    > fit into the Display on my Acer Aspire One ?
                                    >
                                    > 73 John Mi0AAZ.

                                  • Tony Langdon
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                                      At 01:16 AM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
                                      >Hi John. Did you try the beta of 1.10? It was made smaller just for
                                      >you! :)

                                      The 1.10 beta certainly fitted on my EeePC screen. Unfortunately,
                                      DVTool didn't like running on the EeePC (Linux). It went through all
                                      the motions, but didn't seem to pass sound in either direction. All
                                      other VoIP apps (Echolink, Teamspeak, etc) run perfectly on the EeePC.

                                      73 de VK3JED
                                      http://vkradio.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                                        Guess I'll have to get one and play with it. :)

                                        Did you try changing the sound input/output devices in DVTool?

                                        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

                                        > At 01:16 AM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
                                        > >Hi John. Did you try the beta of 1.10? It was made smaller just for
                                        > >you! :)
                                        >
                                        > The 1.10 beta certainly fitted on my EeePC screen. Unfortunately,
                                        > DVTool didn't like running on the EeePC (Linux). It went through all
                                        > the motions, but didn't seem to pass sound in either direction. All
                                        > other VoIP apps (Echolink, Teamspeak, etc) run perfectly on the EeePC.
                                        >
                                        > 73 de VK3JED
                                        > http://vkradio.com

                                      • Tony Langdon
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                                          At 12:01 PM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
                                          >Guess I'll have to get one and play with it. :)
                                          >
                                          >Did you try changing the sound input/output devices in DVTool?

                                          Weren't a lot of options if I recall... But I'm sure I
                                          did... Mine's an EeePC 900 with the default Xandros (and some extra
                                          packages added) in Advanced mode.

                                          73 de VK3JED
                                          http://vkradio.com