USB 1, 1..1, or 2.0

  • g8zqa
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2008
      I've just joined the group as I am interested in using the D-Star
      system. However, I've discovered that there are no D-star equipped
      repeaters in East Anglia wthin my transmitting range, so have turned to
      the DVDongle to see if it would fill the gap.
      Checking the specification of both my computers indicates that the
      chips are fast enough, and there is plenty of RAM. However, the first
      hurdle seems to be the USB ports because the website says that they
      must be USB 2.0. I also have Broadband, but am also sure that Netgear
      router will also prove to be a challenge!
      There is nothing mentioned about what spec the ports are on either
      unit, the oldest one being supplied in 2002, the newer one 2004.
      Does anyone know how to find out, or is it that important please?
      The only clue I have is that the older one often encourages me to use a
      faster USB port, then announces that there isn't one! I'm guessing that
      this one will be 1 or 1.1.

      Thanks

      Peter (G8ZQA)
    • William Stillwell
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2008

        USB 1.0 +  should be fine.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2008
          At 02:04 AM 8/6/2008, you wrote:

          >Checking the specification of both my computers indicates that the
          >chips are fast enough, and there is plenty of RAM. However, the first
          >hurdle seems to be the USB ports because the website says that they
          >must be USB 2.0. I also have Broadband, but am also sure that Netgear
          >router will also prove to be a challenge!

          Well, I've had no problems at all running the Dongle on USB 1.1, with
          or without a hub.

          73 de VK3JED
          http://vkradio.com
        • g8zqa
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2008
            Thanks to Tony and William for their help. Some guys on the local
            repeater here also assisted and it seems that the Evesham is all USB 1
            but the Mesh has a "VIA Enhanced Bus Controller" which may mean one of
            the 4 is USB2.0. Not sure what VIA means but opinions so far from the
            group is that either should work anyway. Will get the DVDongle on order.

            Thanks all

            Peter (G8ZQA)