Re: Problems getting my DV-Dongle working with my computer

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
      Make sure you have all of the programs from the DVTool-dist.zip file
      in one folder. If you move things around, it probably won't work.

      Open a command window (Start->Run->Cmd) and cd to the folder where
      DVTool.jar is located. Then run "ascpseriald COMX 20002" where "X" is
      the com port your dongle is connected as. Then run DVTool.bat and
      click on the remote host checkbox. Try to click on Open and see what
      happens.

      That's basically what DVTool.jar is doing. It starts the ascpseriald
      program on the com port and IP port. It then connects to it and
      communicates with the dongle, all behind the scenes.

      That's also how you would go about putting the dongle on one computer
      and run DVTool on another.

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "michaelandreasmunz"
      <michaelandreasmunz@...> wrote:

      > I´m running Vista with a standard Intel dual-core processor on the
      > desktop computer as well as on the laptop, in both cases with 2 GB
      > ram. It works fine for me and DVDongle is running on the desktop
      > without any issues.
      > Just on the laptop it is saying "Cannot open device localhost:20002"
      > a few seconds after a click on the open button.
      > I could not find a difference in the installation on the desktop
      and
      > the laptop computer, yet. Switching the Windows firewall off did
      not
      > solve the problem.
      > So any ideas what the root cause can be are still welcome.
      >
      > Many thanks in advance & best regards,
      >
      > Michael Munz (DG3SBD)
      >
      > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, MM <ka1rrw@> wrote:
      > >

      > > how many processor cores are you running.
      > > vista needs about 4 cores and 4 gig ram.
      > > plus 256+ Video graphics ram.
      > > wf1f

    • michaelandreasmunz
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
        Hello Robin,

        thanks for all your support. I did what you mentioned in your mail,
        but it still says the annoying "IOException receive Socket closed" in
        the cmd-Window and "Cannot open device localhost: 20002" in the
        DVTool-Window. Do you know what this error message "IOException
        receive Socket closed" exactly means ?
        A Hardware-Info Tool shows a device FT232R USB UART connected to the
        USB Port.
        I also post the last lines in the ascp.txt file:
        ascp starting
        connect from 127.0.0.1:63054
        facu 0/0 tacu 0/0 fncu 0/0 fcu 1000/0/0
        network timeout

        Thanks + regards,

        Michael (DG3SBD)

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
          This is exactly what you see if Windows is blocking the socket with
          the firewall (or maybe a 3rd party firewall/security software).

          The "receive Socket closed" is what you get if DVTool cannot talk to
          ascpseriald via sockets.

          Something in the O/S is blocking your TCP/IP socket communications.