Re: Problems getting my DV-Dongle working with my computer

  • michaelandreasmunz
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 4:11 AM
      I´m running Vista with a standard Intel dual-core processor on the
      desktop computer as well as on the laptop, in both cases with 2 GB
      ram. It works fine for me and DVDongle is running on the desktop
      without any issues.
      Just on the laptop it is saying "Cannot open device localhost:20002"
      a few seconds after a click on the open button.
      I could not find a difference in the installation on the desktop and
      the laptop computer, yet. Switching the Windows firewall off did not
      solve the problem.
      So any ideas what the root cause can be are still welcome.

      Many thanks in advance & best regards,

      Michael Munz (DG3SBD)

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 8:22 AM
        Make sure you have all of the programs from the DVTool-dist.zip file
        in one folder. If you move things around, it probably won't work.

        Open a command window (Start->Run->Cmd) and cd to the folder where
        DVTool.jar is located. Then run "ascpseriald COMX 20002" where "X" is
        the com port your dongle is connected as. Then run DVTool.bat and
        click on the remote host checkbox. Try to click on Open and see what
        happens.

        That's basically what DVTool.jar is doing. It starts the ascpseriald
        program on the com port and IP port. It then connects to it and
        communicates with the dongle, all behind the scenes.

        That's also how you would go about putting the dongle on one computer
        and run DVTool on another.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "michaelandreasmunz"
        <michaelandreasmunz@...> wrote:

        > I´m running Vista with a standard Intel dual-core processor on the
        > desktop computer as well as on the laptop, in both cases with 2 GB
        > ram. It works fine for me and DVDongle is running on the desktop
        > without any issues.
        > Just on the laptop it is saying "Cannot open device localhost:20002"
        > a few seconds after a click on the open button.
        > I could not find a difference in the installation on the desktop
        and
        > the laptop computer, yet. Switching the Windows firewall off did
        not
        > solve the problem.
        > So any ideas what the root cause can be are still welcome.
        >
        > Many thanks in advance & best regards,
        >
        > Michael Munz (DG3SBD)
        >
        > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, MM <ka1rrw@> wrote:
        > >

        > > how many processor cores are you running.
        > > vista needs about 4 cores and 4 gig ram.
        > > plus 256+ Video graphics ram.
        > > wf1f

      • michaelandreasmunz
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2 1:07 PM
          Hello Robin,

          thanks for all your support. I did what you mentioned in your mail,
          but it still says the annoying "IOException receive Socket closed" in
          the cmd-Window and "Cannot open device localhost: 20002" in the
          DVTool-Window. Do you know what this error message "IOException
          receive Socket closed" exactly means ?
          A Hardware-Info Tool shows a device FT232R USB UART connected to the
          USB Port.
          I also post the last lines in the ascp.txt file:
          ascp starting
          connect from 127.0.0.1:63054
          facu 0/0 tacu 0/0 fncu 0/0 fcu 1000/0/0
          network timeout

          Thanks + regards,

          Michael (DG3SBD)

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2 4:33 PM
            This is exactly what you see if Windows is blocking the socket with
            the firewall (or maybe a 3rd party firewall/security software).

            The "receive Socket closed" is what you get if DVTool cannot talk to
            ascpseriald via sockets.

            Something in the O/S is blocking your TCP/IP socket communications.