Re: Problems getting my DV-Dongle working with my computer

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi Michael. Do you have Windows firewall running? That can block
      the IP ports used to talk to the DV Dongle. Also, make sure you plug
      the dongle in before starting DVTool.

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "michaelandreasmunz"
      <michaelandreasmunz@...> wrote:

      > Hello together,
      >
      > I´m having problems getting my DV-Dongle working om my laptop
      > computer:
      > I installed the FTDI-software and the DV-Dongle Software as
      described
      > in the installation section on www.dvdongle.com.
      > No error occured during the installation procedure. The virtual COM
      > port is shown in the device manager without an error flag. When I
      > plug in the DVDongle the green light flashes slowly.
      > When I now start DVTool it finds the correct COM port, but when I
      > click open the program, it displays after a few seconds: "Cannot
      open
      > device localhost:20002"
      > I reinstalled all software, but no change.
      > In the info below it seems that an IOException occurs, but I have
      no
      > idea why this happens. Switching the firewall off, does not solve
      the
      > problem.
      > The Dongle works fine on the Desktop Computer with Vista Ultimate
      (32
      > Bit)
      > Any help is appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks in advance + regards,
      >
      > Michael (DG3SBD)
      >
      > Infos that may help:
      > OS on Laptop: Vista Home Premium (32 Bit)
      >
      > Output when runing DVTool.bat,(see especially last line):
      > C:\Users\Michael\Downloads\DVDongle\DVTool-dist\DVTool>java -jar
      > DVTool.jar
      > DVTool Version 1.05
      > Operating System Windows Vista
      > Operating System version 6.0
      > Architecture x86
      >
      > java version 1.6.0_07
      > java vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
      > java vm.specification.version 1.0
      > java vm.specification.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
      > java vm.specification.name Java Virtual Machine Specification
      > java vm.version 10.0-b23
      > java vm.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
      > java vm.name Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
      > java specification.version 1.6
      > java specification.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
      > java specification.name Java Platform API Specification
      >
      > Found an FTDI serial device on COM2
      > Found 1 com ports
      >
      > Searching for audio input devices
      > target mixer 0 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      Capture)
      > added
      > target mixer 0 name (Primõrer Soundaufnahmetreiber) added
      > target mixer 0 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      > target mixer 0 version (Unknown Version) added
      > target mixer 1 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      Capture)
      > added
      > target mixer 1 name (Microphone (SoundMAX Integrated) added
      > target mixer 1 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      > target mixer 1 version (Unknown Version) added
      > target mixer 2 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      Capture)
      > added
      > target mixer 2 name (Mikrofon (Bluetooth SCO Audio)) added
      > target mixer 2 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      > target mixer 2 version (Unknown Version) added
      > target mixer 3 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      Capture)
      > added
      > target mixer 3 name (MIDI (Bluetooth SCO Audio)) added
      > target mixer 3 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      > target mixer 3 version (Unknown Version) added
      > target mixer 4 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      Capture)
      > added
      > target mixer 4 name (Mikrofon (Bluetooth AV Audio)) added
      > target mixer 4 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      > target mixer 4 version (Unknown Version) added
      > target mixer 5 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      Capture)
      > added
      > target mixer 5 name (MIDI (Bluetooth AV Audio)) added
      > target mixer 5 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      > target mixer 5 version (Unknown Version) added
      > Searching for audio output devices
      > source mixer 0 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      > Playback) added
      > source mixer 0 name (Primõrer Soundtreiber) added
      > source mixer 0 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      > source mixer 0 version (Unknown Version) added
      > source mixer 1 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      > Playback) added
      > source mixer 1 name (Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD
      Audio))
      > added
      > source mixer 1 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      > source mixer 1 version (Unknown Version) added
      > source mixer 2 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      > Playback) added
      > source mixer 2 name (Lautsprecher (Bluetooth SCO Audio)) added
      > source mixer 2 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      > source mixer 2 version (Unknown Version) added
      > source mixer 3 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      > Playback) added
      > source mixer 3 name (Lautsprecher (Bluetooth AV Audio)) added
      > source mixer 3 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      > source mixer 3 version (Unknown Version) added
      > source mixer 4 description (Software mixer and synthesizer) added
      > source mixer 4 name (Java Sound Audio Engine) added
      > source mixer 4 vendor (Sun Microsystems) added
      > source mixer 4 version (1.0) added
      > Finished searching for audio devices
      >
      > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size
      3200
      > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback max output buf size
      > 3200
      > IOException receive Socket closed

    • MM
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
        how many processor cores are you running.
        vista needs about 4 cores and 4 gig ram.
        plus 256+ Video graphics ram.
        wf1f

> [...]
        > added
        > source mixer 2 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
        > source mixer 2 version (Unknown Version) added
        > source mixer 3 description (Direct Audio Device:
        > DirectSound
        > Playback) added
        > source mixer 3 name (Lautsprecher (Bluetooth AV Audio))
        > added
        > source mixer 3 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
        > source mixer 3 version (Unknown Version) added
        > source mixer 4 description (Software mixer and synthesizer)
        > added
        > source mixer 4 name (Java Sound Audio Engine) added
        > source mixer 4 vendor (Sun Microsystems) added
        > source mixer 4 version (1.0) added
        > Finished searching for audio devices
        >
        > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input
        > buf size 3200
        > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback max output

      • michaelandreasmunz
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
          I´m running Vista with a standard Intel dual-core processor on the
          desktop computer as well as on the laptop, in both cases with 2 GB
          ram. It works fine for me and DVDongle is running on the desktop
          without any issues.
          Just on the laptop it is saying "Cannot open device localhost:20002"
          a few seconds after a click on the open button.
          I could not find a difference in the installation on the desktop and
          the laptop computer, yet. Switching the Windows firewall off did not
          solve the problem.
          So any ideas what the root cause can be are still welcome.

          Many thanks in advance & best regards,

          Michael Munz (DG3SBD)

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
            Make sure you have all of the programs from the DVTool-dist.zip file
            in one folder. If you move things around, it probably won't work.

            Open a command window (Start->Run->Cmd) and cd to the folder where
            DVTool.jar is located. Then run "ascpseriald COMX 20002" where "X" is
            the com port your dongle is connected as. Then run DVTool.bat and
            click on the remote host checkbox. Try to click on Open and see what
            happens.

            That's basically what DVTool.jar is doing. It starts the ascpseriald
            program on the com port and IP port. It then connects to it and
            communicates with the dongle, all behind the scenes.

            That's also how you would go about putting the dongle on one computer
            and run DVTool on another.

            <michaelandreasmunz@...> wrote:

            > I´m running Vista with a standard Intel dual-core processor on the
            > desktop computer as well as on the laptop, in both cases with 2 GB
            > ram. It works fine for me and DVDongle is running on the desktop
            > without any issues.
            > Just on the laptop it is saying "Cannot open device localhost:20002"
            > a few seconds after a click on the open button.
            > I could not find a difference in the installation on the desktop
            and
            > the laptop computer, yet. Switching the Windows firewall off did
            not
            > solve the problem.
            > So any ideas what the root cause can be are still welcome.
            >
            > Many thanks in advance & best regards,
            >
            > Michael Munz (DG3SBD)
            >
            > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, MM <ka1rrw@> wrote:
            > >

            > > how many processor cores are you running.
            > > vista needs about 4 cores and 4 gig ram.
            > > plus 256+ Video graphics ram.
            > > wf1f

          • michaelandreasmunz
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
              Hello Robin,

              thanks for all your support. I did what you mentioned in your mail,
              but it still says the annoying "IOException receive Socket closed" in
              the cmd-Window and "Cannot open device localhost: 20002" in the
              DVTool-Window. Do you know what this error message "IOException
              receive Socket closed" exactly means ?
              A Hardware-Info Tool shows a device FT232R USB UART connected to the
              USB Port.
              I also post the last lines in the ascp.txt file:
              ascp starting
              connect from 127.0.0.1:63054
              facu 0/0 tacu 0/0 fncu 0/0 fcu 1000/0/0
              network timeout

              Thanks + regards,

              Michael (DG3SBD)

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
                This is exactly what you see if Windows is blocking the socket with
                the firewall (or maybe a 3rd party firewall/security software).

                The "receive Socket closed" is what you get if DVTool cannot talk to
                ascpseriald via sockets.

                Something in the O/S is blocking your TCP/IP socket communications.