Problems getting my DV-Dongle working with my computer

  • michaelandreasmunz
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hello together,

      I´m having problems getting my DV-Dongle working om my laptop
      computer:
      I installed the FTDI-software and the DV-Dongle Software as described
      in the installation section on www.dvdongle.com.
      No error occured during the installation procedure. The virtual COM
      port is shown in the device manager without an error flag. When I
      plug in the DVDongle the green light flashes slowly.
      When I now start DVTool it finds the correct COM port, but when I
      click open the program, it displays after a few seconds: "Cannot open
      device localhost:20002"
      I reinstalled all software, but no change.
      In the info below it seems that an IOException occurs, but I have no
      idea why this happens. Switching the firewall off, does not solve the
      problem.
      The Dongle works fine on the Desktop Computer with Vista Ultimate (32
      Bit)
      Any help is appreciated.

      Thanks in advance + regards,

      Michael (DG3SBD)

      Infos that may help:
      OS on Laptop: Vista Home Premium (32 Bit)

      Output when runing DVTool.bat,(see especially last line):
      C:\Users\Michael\Downloads\DVDongle\DVTool-dist\DVTool>java -jar
      DVTool.jar
      DVTool Version 1.05
      Operating System Windows Vista
      Operating System version 6.0
      Architecture x86

      java version 1.6.0_07
      java vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
      java vm.specification.version 1.0
      java vm.specification.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
      java vm.specification.name Java Virtual Machine Specification
      java vm.version 10.0-b23
      java vm.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
      java vm.name Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
      java specification.version 1.6
      java specification.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
      java specification.name Java Platform API Specification

      Found an FTDI serial device on COM2
      Found 1 com ports

      Searching for audio input devices
      target mixer 0 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture)
      added
      target mixer 0 name (Primõrer Soundaufnahmetreiber) added
      target mixer 0 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      target mixer 0 version (Unknown Version) added
      target mixer 1 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture)
      added
      target mixer 1 name (Microphone (SoundMAX Integrated) added
      target mixer 1 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      target mixer 1 version (Unknown Version) added
      target mixer 2 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture)
      added
      target mixer 2 name (Mikrofon (Bluetooth SCO Audio)) added
      target mixer 2 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      target mixer 2 version (Unknown Version) added
      target mixer 3 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture)
      added
      target mixer 3 name (MIDI (Bluetooth SCO Audio)) added
      target mixer 3 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      target mixer 3 version (Unknown Version) added
      target mixer 4 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture)
      added
      target mixer 4 name (Mikrofon (Bluetooth AV Audio)) added
      target mixer 4 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      target mixer 4 version (Unknown Version) added
      target mixer 5 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture)
      added
      target mixer 5 name (MIDI (Bluetooth AV Audio)) added
      target mixer 5 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      target mixer 5 version (Unknown Version) added
      Searching for audio output devices
      source mixer 0 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      Playback) added
      source mixer 0 name (Primõrer Soundtreiber) added
      source mixer 0 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      source mixer 0 version (Unknown Version) added
      source mixer 1 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      Playback) added
      source mixer 1 name (Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio))
      added
      source mixer 1 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      source mixer 1 version (Unknown Version) added
      source mixer 2 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      Playback) added
      source mixer 2 name (Lautsprecher (Bluetooth SCO Audio)) added
      source mixer 2 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      source mixer 2 version (Unknown Version) added
      source mixer 3 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
      Playback) added
      source mixer 3 name (Lautsprecher (Bluetooth AV Audio)) added
      source mixer 3 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
      source mixer 3 version (Unknown Version) added
      source mixer 4 description (Software mixer and synthesizer) added
      source mixer 4 name (Java Sound Audio Engine) added
      source mixer 4 vendor (Sun Microsystems) added
      source mixer 4 version (1.0) added
      Finished searching for audio devices

      mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size 3200
      mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback max output buf size
      3200
      IOException receive Socket closed
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
        Hi Michael. Do you have Windows firewall running? That can block
        the IP ports used to talk to the DV Dongle. Also, make sure you plug
        the dongle in before starting DVTool.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "michaelandreasmunz"
        <michaelandreasmunz@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Playback) added
        > source mixer 2 name (Lautsprecher (Bluetooth SCO Audio)) added
        > source mixer 2 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
        > source mixer 2 version (Unknown Version) added
        > source mixer 3 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
        > Playback) added
        > source mixer 3 name (Lautsprecher (Bluetooth AV Audio)) added
        > source mixer 3 vendor (Unknown Vendor) added
        > source mixer 3 version (Unknown Version) added
        > source mixer 4 description (Software mixer and synthesizer) added
        > source mixer 4 name (Java Sound Audio Engine) added
        > source mixer 4 vendor (Sun Microsystems) added
        > source mixer 4 version (1.0) added
        > Finished searching for audio devices
        >
        > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size
        3200
        > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback max output buf size

      • MM
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
          how many processor cores are you running.
          vista needs about 4 cores and 4 gig ram.
          plus 256+ Video graphics ram.
          wf1f

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
            I´m running Vista with a standard Intel dual-core processor on the
            desktop computer as well as on the laptop, in both cases with 2 GB
            ram. It works fine for me and DVDongle is running on the desktop
            without any issues.
            Just on the laptop it is saying "Cannot open device localhost:20002"
            a few seconds after a click on the open button.
            I could not find a difference in the installation on the desktop and
            the laptop computer, yet. Switching the Windows firewall off did not
            solve the problem.
            So any ideas what the root cause can be are still welcome.

            Many thanks in advance & best regards,

            Michael Munz (DG3SBD)

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
              Make sure you have all of the programs from the DVTool-dist.zip file
              in one folder. If you move things around, it probably won't work.

              Open a command window (Start->Run->Cmd) and cd to the folder where
              DVTool.jar is located. Then run "ascpseriald COMX 20002" where "X" is
              the com port your dongle is connected as. Then run DVTool.bat and
              click on the remote host checkbox. Try to click on Open and see what
              happens.

              That's basically what DVTool.jar is doing. It starts the ascpseriald
              program on the com port and IP port. It then connects to it and
              communicates with the dongle, all behind the scenes.

              That's also how you would go about putting the dongle on one computer
              and run DVTool on another.

              <michaelandreasmunz@...> wrote:

              > I´m running Vista with a standard Intel dual-core processor on the
              > desktop computer as well as on the laptop, in both cases with 2 GB
              > ram. It works fine for me and DVDongle is running on the desktop
              > without any issues.
              > Just on the laptop it is saying "Cannot open device localhost:20002"
              > a few seconds after a click on the open button.
              > I could not find a difference in the installation on the desktop
              and
              > the laptop computer, yet. Switching the Windows firewall off did
              not
              > solve the problem.
              > So any ideas what the root cause can be are still welcome.
              >
              > Many thanks in advance & best regards,
              >
              > Michael Munz (DG3SBD)
              >
              > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, MM <ka1rrw@> wrote:
              > >

              > > how many processor cores are you running.
              > > vista needs about 4 cores and 4 gig ram.
              > > plus 256+ Video graphics ram.
              > > wf1f

            • michaelandreasmunz
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
                Hello Robin,

                thanks for all your support. I did what you mentioned in your mail,
                but it still says the annoying "IOException receive Socket closed" in
                the cmd-Window and "Cannot open device localhost: 20002" in the
                DVTool-Window. Do you know what this error message "IOException
                receive Socket closed" exactly means ?
                A Hardware-Info Tool shows a device FT232R USB UART connected to the
                USB Port.
                I also post the last lines in the ascp.txt file:
                ascp starting
                connect from 127.0.0.1:63054
                facu 0/0 tacu 0/0 fncu 0/0 fcu 1000/0/0
                network timeout

                Thanks + regards,

                Michael (DG3SBD)

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
                  This is exactly what you see if Windows is blocking the socket with
                  the firewall (or maybe a 3rd party firewall/security software).

                  The "receive Socket closed" is what you get if DVTool cannot talk to
                  ascpseriald via sockets.

                  Something in the O/S is blocking your TCP/IP socket communications.