Re: [DVDongle] Reflector bug?

  • Tony Langdon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2008
      At 07:48 AM 7/27/2008, you wrote:

      >Personally, I've spent a number of commutes talking on REF001C and
      >folks there have taken to calling the number of things that can make
      >transmissions just "disappear" the "Reflector black hole". I wouldn't
      >recommend Reflector links for real emergency or critical

      I had noticed odd things like that seemed to happen when on the SE WX
      net. Couldn't work out what was going on, but this thread seems to
      be shedding some light on the situation

      >communications at this point in time, but I doubt Robin would either?
      >Due to the nature of digital, they just don't "act the same" as other
      >linking technologies yet.

      Well, all of our Internet based options are digital at the reflector. :-)

      >(At least in callsign routing/multicast, the user gets some feedback
      >on their display as to whether or not they routed and were heard...

      Maybe, if one is able to look at the display quick enough - often the
      repeater ID trashes the more useful response from the remote gateway.

      >"RPT" vs. "UR". I've been talking on Reflectors on D-STAR for a while
      >now, and it's really common for a whole transmission to just disappear
      >in a normal QSO. While I know in my head what's happening is

      I've heard that too, though sometimes other stations hear it, and I
      don't on the Dongle.

      >doubling, radios spitting out GPS data beacons, etc... and there are
      >good technical reasons why this happens, I can't get used to it...
      >having someone call you and say "Are you still there?" every five to
      >seven overs, is getting kinda annoying.)

      I haven't done much ragchewing on reflectors, mostly controlled nets,
      so I haven't had to deal with that so much at this stage. That would
      be a bit annoying, though I get that a lot on IRLP and Echolink as
      well, so I'd probably notice it less anyway. The reasons on IRLP and
      Echolink range from someone doubling, to rubber ears, to accent
      problems, or simply the other fool deciding to wander away from their
      PC or radio! As I don't expect D-STAR users to be that much
      different, I would expect the same strike rate. ;)

      >Doubling is not handled well either... not sure it can be, thinking
      >over what's really happening... but perhaps a very smart Reflector
      >would buffer both transmissions, and/or generate a header and fake a
      >new transmission that's actually a remainder of the longest
      >transmission's stream, if two people double.

      Or perhaps it just needs to buffer the header and slap it on at the
      start of the remainder of the longer transmission?

      >But it's not there yet... It's very hard to tell when someone
      >doubles or this "both sub-channels are in use" thing happens.

      The subchannel thing sounds weird.

      >NOT complaining about Robin's code... just saying there's not much
      >anyone else can do about it. Robin already mentioned that some wack-
      >job convinced him not to open-source the Reflector code because of
      >concern that "terrorists" might read it in his Dayton presentation...
      >so I doubt that's going to change. (Emotion trumps reality... there
      >are plenty of other ways to break the entire D-STAR network without
      >resorting to reading Robin's Reflector source code.)

      Well, this raises the counter argument that maybe the risk of
      terrorists reading Robin's code and doing something nasty with it is
      less than the potential benefits of having more "friend;y eyes" looking at it?

      The AllStar guys obviously aren't too worried about this issue
      (Asterisk, which AllStar uses, is open source), not to mention the
      various organisations that use Asterisk for their telephony needs.

      73 de VK3JED
      http://vkradio.com