Re: Is there Interest in Putting Digital On ISS?

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 12, 2008
      Bryan Johns K4GDW wrote:

      >Is there internet access on the ISS? If so
      >phoning home would be easier using
      >a service like Skype.

      The ISS crew currently uses VOIP over their Ku-band radio system
      through the Tracking and Data Relay satellite using software called
      Softphone on their A31P IBM laptops. They can dial the number
      themselves from the space station and it looks like an extension
      within the Johnson Space Center's phone system so I assume they have
      to dial 9 to get an outside line.

      http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinoff2001/johnson.html

      http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/livinginspace/Now_Thats_A_Long-
      Distance_Call.html

      http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns165/ns268/networking_s
      olutions_customer_profile09186a00800b53b6.html