RE: [DVDongle] Re: Remote Host Config

  • Greg Forrest
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
      For the group:

      The reason I placed the Dongle on a different PC than the one running DVTOOL
      was to eliminate dropped connections. The Dongle was physically attached to
      a W2k/P4/2.4 GHz desktop machine what is running many other desktop
      applications. The Dongle connection would drop often (you would see red
      flashes on the Dongle LEDs before it disconnected).

      The Dongle is now connected to a headless file/music server (dual Xeon
      processors; SCSI drives). Has not dropped a connection yet - very solid.
      Also, now any computer on the LAN can the Dongle (one at a time).

      Greg

    • Adam Fast
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
        Good news.

        When I heard about this functionality I had a specific goal in mind,
        and I'm glad to report that it works with flying colors.

        As long as it's set up properly, you CAN share your dongle over the
        internet (to those you trust, of course)

        I have a machine with the dongle connected, and forwarded some ports
        through my firewall, and a friend has connected from HIS computer to
        my dongle, and it's working great. (he's about 90 miles away, out of
        our repeater coverage, and doesn't have a D-Star radio anyway)

        This opens some interesting doors for emergency comm. and we now have
        some further research to do with some of the things this can do.
        (Centralized dongle "pools" with high bandwidth for remote systems to
        use for checking in with?)

        Adam

        On Feb 3, 2008 4:43 PM, Greg Forrest <intermod@...> wrote:

        > For the group:
        >
        > The reason I placed the Dongle on a different PC than the one running
        > DVTOOL
        > was to eliminate dropped connections. The Dongle was physically attached to
        > a W2k/P4/2.4 GHz desktop machine what is running many other desktop
        > applications. The Dongle connection would drop often (you would see red
        > flashes on the Dongle LEDs before it disconnected).
        >
        > The Dongle is now connected to a headless file/music server (dual Xeon
        > processors; SCSI drives). Has not dropped a connection yet - very solid.
        > Also, now any computer on the LAN can the Dongle (one at a time).
        >
        > Greg

      • Doug Ferris
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
          Hi Robin

          Well we have touchdown on the laptop.  All is working fine after I uninstalled everything and loaded everything onto the desktop then access thru the DV tools folder then accessing the jar file.  I did get a better microphone for the laptop and it really made a difference on the quality of the voice.  Now we have both the desktop and laptop up and running.

          Question on the cable.  I want to get a shorter one as both location only need about six inches.  What do I need to look for?  Anything special as type of cable.

          Thanks again for your time on this..

          73
          Doug
          K6DAF

          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferris <k6daf@...> wrote:

            > Hi Robin
            >
            > Well we have touchdown on the laptop. All is working fine after I
            uninstalled everything and loaded everything onto the desktop then
            access thru the DV tools folder then accessing the jar file. I did
            get a better microphone for the laptop and it really made a
            difference on the quality of the voice. Now we have both the desktop
            and laptop up and running.

            > Question on the cable. I want to get a shorter one as both
            location only need about six inches. What do I need to look for?
            Anything special as type of cable.

            Hi Doug. Good to hear you got things working. As for the cable, any
            USB A to Mini B 5 pin cable should work.