Re: [DVDongle] Dongle contacts blocked from certain gateways overseas?

  • Nate Duehr
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19, 2008
      David Wolfe wrote:
      > Are Dongle contacts blocked from certain gateways overseas as I could not reply to a British
      > station. I heard that Japan blocks them from overseas because they are against their
      > telephone regulations for the same reason FCC prohibits phone patches except in specific
      > situations.

      All I can tell ya David, is that in the dplus configuration file, the
      admin of the particular Gateway can tell dplus how many concurrent
      Dongle users can connect to their gateway, so they can manage bandwidth
      to the site.

      (Remember, Gateways are often bandwidth-limited, since the IP must be
      on-site at the repeaters with the Gateway server for latency issues.)

      The recent addition of "Reflectors" also would seem to indicate (to me
      anyway) that most Reflectors will have a lot more "spare" bandwidth.
      When you connect to a Gateway that's also linked to a Reflector,
      everyone hears everyone else, but you're using bandwidth from the
      Gateway's connection... it's probably better to connect straight up to
      the Reflector itself. Keeps everything "centralized"... and the heavy
      hitter bandwidth at the Reflector which is probably in a nice cozy data
      center somewhere.

      One thing that's needed is a way to see what Gateways are connected to
      Reflectors... a "who's connected where" type of thing. Since Reflectors
      are very new, I'm sure it's coming... and you can kinda tell if you hunt
      through the jFindu site... "REF001C" *does* show up as a D-STAR callsign
      there, for example. I can't remember how I found that link, now at 3:15
      AM though... (zzzzz...someone wake me up... staying up all night playing
      with computer and radio toys is something that I haven't done since
      TCP/IP packet days! This is way too much fun!)

      Nate WY0X
    • Declan Mc Glone
      Message 2 of 3 , May 19, 2008
        We look at this for who's connected to REF005 in the UK

        Fairly basic at the moment, but Darren (G7LWT) is looking to make improvements when time allows.

        Declan
        M0TMX