Macbook Pro Problem with not finding ascpserialimac

  • aldewitt_2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2013
      I searched through the archives and found several situations where people had the problem with running the most recent version of the DVTool.jar software.  It seemed that the routine way around this problem was to run the beta version, and there were several links posted to that software.  I found one of those links worked, downloaded that beta, and I put it in the Applications folder and it worked like a charm.  So, many thanks to the group for such a wonderful archive for problem solving.

      Here is my question.  I have the DVAP Dongle on my PC at work, and I got a DVDongle for Christmas because I travel a lot, and it would be nice to connect while I am on the road.  I noted that the YouTube videos and the Windows applications, much like the DVAP Dongle, all have a terminal window where you can see the bytes and packets, but that the DVDongle on the Mac does not have this functionality.  So my questions:

      1.  Is there a current version of the non-beta that will not return this error code when installed according to the directions on the website?
      2.  Is there a terminal window that runs on the Mac?

      I take my macbook with me wherever I go because I've never had problems with it on the road that I couldn't fix.  I really like the functionality of the terminal window on the DVAP module, and would like to see it on the Mac.

      Again, great work on the product and I was able to hear and talk to stations using the Dongle and the beta software.

      AD0DQ
      Tony
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 26, 2013

        Hi Tony.  For the older java version, all of the bits need to stay in the dvtool folder and that folder needs to be placed on your desktop.  Then run the dvtool script rather than the jar file.

        The Mac version of the beta does output to a terminal but the O/S does not open it by default.  You can try running it from a terminal window and you will see the messages.

      • Yahoo
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 26, 2013
          I think you sent this to the wrong person. Although I might've sent you something by mistake.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Dec 26, 2013, at 9:50 AM, <aa4rc@...> wrote:

          Hi Tony.  For the older java version, all of the bits need to stay in the dvtool folder and that folder needs to be placed on your desktop.  Then run the dvtool script rather than the jar file.

          The Mac version of the beta does output to a terminal but the O/S does not open it by default.  You can try running it from a terminal window and you will see the messages.

        • Anthony L. DeWitt
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 26, 2013
            Robin:

            Thank you so much for your prompt response.  I had unpacked it to the Desktop, however, I do not understand what you mean by “run the dvtool script” rather than the jar file.  When I clicked on the “.sh" files I got a notepad file with what appeared to be a batch file — nothing happened.  Perhaps I was running the wrong script?

            Also, I do not know how to open a “terminal window.”  I note that there is a Terminal program under Utilities in Applications, and I can try running that.

            If you can tell me the name of the script file to execute I still have the DVTool folder on the Desktop and I am happy to give it a go with the proper file name.

            And, if no one has said it, thank you so much for including the Mac community in your applications family.  I greatly appreciate it.

            Regards,

            Tony DeWitt
            AD0DQ

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 27, 2013

              I have tried to figure out how to open this in Terminal on the Mac, and I've read through the help file, etc.  I just can't figure it out.  Is there a resource you can point me to?

              Thanks

              Tony

            • Don Woodward
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 29, 2013

                Be sure you are using version 2.0Beta5

                Don Woodward

                KD4APP

                I have tried to figure out how to open this in Terminal on the Mac, and I've read through the help file, etc.  I just can't figure it out.  Is there a resource you can point me to?

                Thanks

                Tony

                No virus found in this message.

              • aldewitt_2000
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 29, 2013

                  Don:

                  I am using that version of the DVTool software. I still get no terminal window on my Macbook.  Other than that, the software works great.

                  Thanks for your response.

                  Tony, AD0DQ