Problems With Mac Installation

  • kentompkins3
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2008
      I am having problems getting the dongle to work on an IMac under
      Leopard where it should install with no problems. Here is what is
      happening:

      1. The boot version is 1.03 though I keep seeing users post about
      1.04. There IS a 1.04 file at opendstar.org but when I download it
      says it is boot version 1.03. Is there a later version and, if so,
      where can I get it?

      2. The version I have (1.03) does actually link to the dongle and the
      information about boot version, firmware and serial number DOES
      appear. The audio loop works with my Logitech headset.

      However, I cannot get the TX button to be available. With the
      exception of AA1HD, all of the other nodes I have tried, the TX button
      is grayed-out. Not sure why it works on that node and not on others. I
      have tried the various modules on various sites but the problem remains.
      Someone said that perhaps I had not registered correctly -- I thought
      I had -- so the owner of my local repeater (KC2TGB) deleted me and I
      re-registered. That seems not to have fixed the problem.

      I have no idea what the problem is or how to trace it out. Suggestions
      about this and the version number would be appreciated.

      ken tompkins
      wb2puw
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2008
        Hi Ken. I just downloaded both the DVTool-dist-1.04.tgz and DVTool-
        dist-1.04.zip files from opendstar.org and both are 1.04. Which file
        did you download? Version 1.03 should work fine for you. 1.04 added
        support for the Power Mac platform.

        I just checked the D-Star registration database and you are not
        showing up in the list. You have to be completely registered to use
        the PTT button. Did you complete the web registration at your
        gateway site? If so, did you go back in and register terminals on
        the Personal Information page? Both steps must be completed for your
        registration to be complete.

        Feel free to email me off list if you still have problems.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "kentompkins3" <kentompkins3@...>
        wrote:

        > I am having problems getting the dongle to work on an IMac under
        > Leopard where it should install with no problems. Here is what is
        > happening:
        >
        > 1. The boot version is 1.03 though I keep seeing users post about
        > 1.04. There IS a 1.04 file at opendstar.org but when I download it
        > says it is boot version 1.03. Is there a later version and, if so,
        > where can I get it?
        >
        > 2. The version I have (1.03) does actually link to the dongle and
        the
        > information about boot version, firmware and serial number DOES
        > appear. The audio loop works with my Logitech headset.
        >
        > However, I cannot get the TX button to be available. With the
        > exception of AA1HD, all of the other nodes I have tried, the TX
        button
        > is grayed-out. Not sure why it works on that node and not on
        others. I
        > have tried the various modules on various sites but the problem
        remains.
        > Someone said that perhaps I had not registered correctly -- I
        thought
        > I had -- so the owner of my local repeater (KC2TGB) deleted me and I
        > re-registered. That seems not to have fixed the problem.
        >
        > I have no idea what the problem is or how to trace it out.
        Suggestions
        > about this and the version number would be appreciated.
        >
        > ken tompkins
        > wb2puw

      • kentompkins3
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2008
          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "kentompkins3" <kentompkins3@...> wrote:

          > I am having problems getting the dongle to work on an IMac under
          > Leopard where it should install with no problems. Here is what is
          > happening:
          >
          > 1. The boot version is 1.03 though I keep seeing users post about
          > 1.04. There IS a 1.04 file at opendstar.org but when I download it
          > says it is boot version 1.03. Is there a later version and, if so,
          > where can I get it?
          >
          > 2. The version I have (1.03) does actually link to the dongle and the
          > information about boot version, firmware and serial number DOES
          > appear. The audio loop works with my Logitech headset.
          >
          > However, I cannot get the TX button to be available. With the
          > exception of AA1HD, all of the other nodes I have tried, the TX button
          > is grayed-out. Not sure why it works on that node and not on others. I
          > have tried the various modules on various sites but the problem remains.
          > Someone said that perhaps I had not registered correctly -- I thought
          > I had -- so the owner of my local repeater (KC2TGB) deleted me and I
          > re-registered. That seems not to have fixed the problem.
          >
          > I have no idea what the problem is or how to trace it out. Suggestions
          > about this and the version number would be appreciated.
          >
          > ken tompkins
          > wb2puw

          First of all, I want to thank AA4RC whose suggestions fixed the
          problem of not being able to transmit. However, another problem has
          appeared.

          I use the Logitech USB headset and I can transmit using that mic but I
          can't hear anything. I suspect the problem is the Java Sound Audio
          Engine which is the only output choice DVTool offers. Why it doesn't
          see the Logitech -- which, when installed, is an option on every other
          program I use (GarageBand, Snapz Pro, etc.) is beyond me.

          Obviously, if I am going to use DVTool, I need to hear both TX and RX.

          Does anyone have DVTool working on Mac Intel? If so, could we email
          off the forum?

          ken tompkins
          wb2puw
          kentompkins3 at comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , May 8, 2008
            We've seen this one too. You have to go into MacOS X and set the
            Logitech USB headset as the default audio source. For whatever
            reason, MacOS does not provide all of the audio interfaces to DVTool
            like Windows and Linux does.

            wrote:

            > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "kentompkins3" <kentompkins3@>
            wrote:

            > > I am having problems getting the dongle to work on an IMac under
            > > Leopard where it should install with no problems. Here is what is
            > > happening:
            > >
            > > 1. The boot version is 1.03 though I keep seeing users post about
            > > 1.04. There IS a 1.04 file at opendstar.org but when I download it
            > > says it is boot version 1.03. Is there a later version and, if so,
            > > where can I get it?
            > >
            > > 2. The version I have (1.03) does actually link to the dongle and
            the
            > > information about boot version, firmware and serial number DOES
            > > appear. The audio loop works with my Logitech headset.
            > >
            > > However, I cannot get the TX button to be available. With the
            > > exception of AA1HD, all of the other nodes I have tried, the TX
            button
            > > is grayed-out. Not sure why it works on that node and not on
            others. I
            > > have tried the various modules on various sites but the problem
            remains.
            > > Someone said that perhaps I had not registered correctly -- I
            thought
            > > I had -- so the owner of my local repeater (KC2TGB) deleted me
            and I
            > > re-registered. That seems not to have fixed the problem.
            > >
            > > I have no idea what the problem is or how to trace it out.
            Suggestions
            > > about this and the version number would be appreciated.
            > >
            > > ken tompkins
            > > wb2puw
            > >
            > First of all, I want to thank AA4RC whose suggestions fixed the
            > problem of not being able to transmit. However, another problem has
            > appeared.
            >
            > I use the Logitech USB headset and I can transmit using that mic
            but I
            > can't hear anything. I suspect the problem is the Java Sound Audio
            > Engine which is the only output choice DVTool offers. Why it doesn't
            > see the Logitech -- which, when installed, is an option on every
            other
            > program I use (GarageBand, Snapz Pro, etc.) is beyond me.
            >
            > Obviously, if I am going to use DVTool, I need to hear both TX and
            RX.

            > Does anyone have DVTool working on Mac Intel? If so, could we email
            > off the forum?
            >
            > ken tompkins
            > wb2puw
            > kentompkins3 at comcast.net

          • David Wolfe
            Message 5 of 5 , May 10, 2008
              I am using the Plantronics DSP400 USB headset with a new MAC PRO w/OS 10.5.2 with no
              problems. In the System Preferences/Hardware/Sound preferences you need to set the
              Input and Output separately to the USB type. The headset name should be visible in both
              places.

              K1AGE
              David