RE: [DVDongle] Digest Number 1087

  • Guy Driver
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2013
      Thanks and I agree on the rules etc.  I still would use the log to keep track of the calls and info of my contacts.  I throw all of it at the LOTW but guess it really doesn't matter as no one will try to "QSL" those contacts.  The log will not allow me to use funny modes like internet, DStar etc so just needed a trick around for the programs.
      Thanks for the nice reply and vy 73

      Guy--WR7K

      Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 08:27:22 +0000
      From: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
      To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [DVDongle] Digest Number 1087

      DVDongle

      1 New Message

      Digest #1087
      1a
      Re: DV Dongle Logging by "Tom Loughney" aj4xm

      Message

      Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:10 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Tom Loughney" aj4xm

      I don't think DV Dongle contacts count as QSO's for purposes of award logging. Neither do Echolink or IRLP. Even though IRLP requires a radio at each end the repeaters are still connected via VOIP. I think it has to be RF to RF to count as a contact for award purposes. And that would rule out things like Reflectors and Gateways in the middle which are wired connections. If you made a DV contact on 28MHz with someone else 1000 miles away that would be fine. It is not the DV mode that is the issue, it is the use of VOIP which is a wired contact between where you are and they are that moves it out of the QSO for awards category.

      But there is no reason you could not exchange physical QSL cards with someone far away to get there card. It may be the only way they have of making contact. And Icom has run some D-Star contests where they gave out real awards. like equipment, and I expect they will do that again. But I don't think you will ever see it in LOTW.

      Tom
      AJ4XM

      .