Re: DV Dongle Logging

  • Tom Loughney
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2013
      I don't think DV Dongle contacts count as QSO's for purposes of award logging. Neither do Echolink or IRLP. Even though IRLP requires a radio at each end the repeaters are still connected via VOIP. I think it has to be RF to RF to count as a contact for award purposes. And that would rule out things like Reflectors and Gateways in the middle which are wired connections. If you made a DV contact on 28MHz with someone else 1000 miles away that would be fine. It is not the DV mode that is the issue, it is the use of VOIP which is a wired contact between where you are and they are that moves it out of the QSO for awards category.

      But there is no reason you could not exchange physical QSL cards with someone far away to get there card. It may be the only way they have of making contact. And Icom has run some D-Star contests where they gave out real awards. like equipment, and I expect they will do that again. But I don't think you will ever see it in LOTW.

      Tom
      AJ4XM

      .