DV Dongle as a belt pack

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
      There are some problems with getting Repeater coverage in my area, especially at my home. I was thinking that I could use a Raspberry PI, DV Dongle, sound card with headphones/mike a wifi usb card and my iphone as a wireless hotspot and make a belt pack portable. If so what software do I use. I don't have my RPI or Dongle yet so I'd like to get up on the software. Also on my boat I know I will never get repeater coverage. Any Help here?

      73,
      Barry K0BSB
    • William E Ott
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
        Raspberry Pi will run the DVAP fine, it is not strong enough to run
        the DV Dongle.

        On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Barry <k0bsb@...> wrote:
        > There are some problems with getting Repeater coverage in my area, especially at my home. I was thinking that I could use a Raspberry PI, DV Dongle, sound card with headphones/mike a wifi usb card and my iphone as a wireless hotspot and make a belt pack portable. If so what software do I use. I don't have my RPI or Dongle yet so I'd like to get up on the software. Also on my boat I know I will never get repeater coverage. Any Help here?
        >
        > 73,
        > Barry K0BSB

      • Tom Loughney
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
          I don't expect the DV Dongle to work with the Pi. You can do that with a DVAP but you need a D-Star radio to talk to the DVAP with. There is some discussion i the DVAP forum about that and I know Robin has been working an a Pi version of that software.

          I have not tried any of the Windows based phones or tablets but if you can interface USB to them it might work with a Dongle. Try installing the DVTool software and see if it runs. You can do that without buying a Dongle.

          Tom
          AJ4XM

        • k4rjj@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2014

            Can you expand on this or can anyone else chime in?  Could I use a more powerful machine such as Beaglebone Black?