Re: use dv dongle for a simplex analog radio

  • tango241991
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 22, 2013
      What type of interface are you using for the radio?

      David

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "n2tnk" <n2tnk@...> wrote:

      > I have looked all over the board and the internet for a solution to use my dv dongle (blue) to interface with a radio. I already have the radio set up with control through my computer (running HRD) and have the dv dongle working, just trying to find a software solution, and a how-to guide to get these working together.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Bill Davis
      > N2TNK

    • J. M. Moen
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27, 2013
        RE: [DVDongle] use dv dongle for a simplex analog radio

        Bill,

        As Ken N1DOT pointed out, there are applications that can interface both with the DV Dongle and an analog radio, so the radio will produce D-Star compatible DV transmissions and decode them.  You didn’t mention whether you want to do this on VHF/UHF (presumably to talk to D-Star repeaters), or on HF.  There are people who are using D-Star on HF (carefully tuned to keep the bandwidth as low as possible) some using a DV Dongle + PC + analog radio, and others using ICOM 9100s, which can do D-Star on HF bands.

        If the interface to your radio is a soundcard, you’d use D-Star Client; if it’s a GMSK modem, you would use GMSK Client.  Ken’s note has the link.  Those programs are in a package called “Digital Voice.”

        If you will be on HF and you will be switching bands a lot, you’ll find the radio may require the audio to be inverted on some bands and not on others, so “converting” an analog radio this way is not as smooth operationally as using the 9100.  But, it’s another way to have fun with your DV Dongle, and doesn’t cost much to experiment.

           Jim – K6JM

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
          The 9100 only does D-Star in simplex mode on 28MHz and 50Mhx where it is authorized by the FCC (plus the higher bands simplex/duplex/repeaters). D-Star below 28Mhz has not been authorized because of the bandwidth among other things.

          DV Voice using Codec-2 which can be narrowed down to 1.1Khz is not compatible with D-Star but has its own set of users and repeaters etc but not nearly anything like D-Star.There are a few systems in this group and some of them cross repeat with D-Star systems letting one user talk to another.

           It has also not need approved by the FCC at all. On the other hand it has not been disapproved either. They are usually 1-2 years behind technology on these things. However they do state that only approved modes can be used. Generally as long as the "test" mode does not cause interference and complaints they ignore it. When it gets enough use to become an issue  (like TDMA now) they make some determinations. However they have repeatedly turned down requests for unlimited and non specified modes based solely on bandwidth. DV Voice is narrow enough to almost fall into the data modes. and AM and DSB are wide enough to almost allow narrow band D-Star. But manufacturers are not going to make equipment designed for unapproved modes. Most of that comes from LMR and PS radios that get converted.

          Tom
          AJ4XM