RE: [DVDongle] Missed keepalive from gateway...
More than likely the keep alive signal is being missed because of the network connections on the side of the gateway and not on your end.
I recently upgraded one of PCs to Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium with 4 GB RAM, i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30 GHz, a hardwired CAT 5 Ethernet connection to the home router and Brighthouse RoadRunner high speed broadband internet service with 20 MB download/2 MB upload Speedtest results.
The DV Dongle install completed without any errors and the Dongle works well much of the time.
I frequently see "missed keepalive from gateway, count = x" where the count will go up to 3 or 5. I do an "INFO" check on the gateway to which I'm connected and the data updates in an instant. I can always transmit whenever I want without any obvious problem. This leads me to believe that something is occasionally getting in the way of the Dongle's operation.
No other application is running in the foreground. I do have a busy system tray running:
Canon Wireless Printer connectivity tool
Microsoft Security Essentials
Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Hard disk monitoring?)
VIA HD Audio Deck
Internet Access (Win 7 Internet Access monitor)
Speakers (Win 7 audio system tray tool)
Are there tweaks that need to be made to Windows 7 to give priority to the Dongle?
Is there a program in Win7 or downloadable that I can use to see what might be tripping up the Dongle's connectivity?
Are there known incompatibilities between DV Tool and other Win 7 components that cause the connectivity issue?
What is "Missed keepalive" really telling me?
Are there any time-tested methods of improving the performance of DV Tool and eliminating the missed keepalive error??
73, Frank KB4T in Florida
- Here's a follow-up:
1. First... Thank you to Robin and the others who responded to my note.
2. It turns out that things are OK on my end. I conducted a few experiments after I read the comments in reply to my note.
3. I have two dongles here at the house on 2 different Windows 7 computers. I had been connecting to only one gateway most of the time and from that gateway I got the "missed keepalive."
4. I connected both computers to different gateways that I don't usually use. No "Missed keepalives" on either computer.
5. I connected the faster of the two computers to the gateway I usually use and saw "missed keepalives" while the slower computer didn't see those errors from another gateway.
6. I connected both computers to the usual gateway and the "missed keepalives" occurred identically on both computers.
7. It turns out that most "other" gateways than the one I usually use almost never produce "missed keepalives." The usual gateway produces them fairly often.
Conclusion: my usual gateway has connectivity issues...not me.
Live and learn.
Thanks to all.
Frank N. Haas KB4T
--- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "kb4t_ham_radio" <kb4t@...> wrote:
> I frequently see "missed keepalive from gateway, count = x" where the count will go up to 3 or 5. I do an "INFO" check on the gateway to which I'm connected and the data updates in an instant. I can always transmit whenever I want without any obvious problem. This leads me to believe that something is occasionally getting in the way of the Dongle's operation.