Missed keepalive from gateway...

  • kb4t_ham_radio
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2013
      I recently upgraded one of PCs to Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium with 4 GB RAM, i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30 GHz, a hardwired CAT 5 Ethernet connection to the home router and Brighthouse RoadRunner high speed broadband internet service with 20 MB download/2 MB upload Speedtest results.

      The DV Dongle install completed without any errors and the Dongle works well much of the time.

      I frequently see "missed keepalive from gateway, count = x" where the count will go up to 3 or 5. I do an "INFO" check on the gateway to which I'm connected and the data updates in an instant. I can always transmit whenever I want without any obvious problem. This leads me to believe that something is occasionally getting in the way of the Dongle's operation.

      No other application is running in the foreground. I do have a busy system tray running:

      Canon Wireless Printer connectivity tool
      Dropbox
      Microsoft Security Essentials
      Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Hard disk monitoring?)
      VIA HD Audio Deck
      Internet Access (Win 7 Internet Access monitor)
      Speakers (Win 7 audio system tray tool)

      Are there tweaks that need to be made to Windows 7 to give priority to the Dongle?

      Is there a program in Win7 or downloadable that I can use to see what might be tripping up the Dongle's connectivity?

      Are there known incompatibilities between DV Tool and other Win 7 components that cause the connectivity issue?

      What is "Missed keepalive" really telling me?

      Are there any time-tested methods of improving the performance of DV Tool and eliminating the missed keepalive error??

      Thanks.

      73, Frank KB4T in Florida
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 18, 2013
        Hi Frank. That message is not usually related to the PC. The system with which you are connected sends a "keepalive" message each second to the client program (DVTool in this case). If that packet is missed, it prints out the message you are seeing. That is usually a problem with the internet path somewhere between your PC and the remote system.

        Try connecting with a different system to see if it is on your side or their side. If you frequently see the missed keepalive messages when connected to different systems, that points to your ISP connection. If not, then that points to the ISP connection on the remote system.

        Also, if you are using wifi to get from your PC to the internet, try a hardwired connection. Wifi is notorious for dropping UDP packets.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "kb4t_ham_radio" <kb4t@...> wrote:

        > I recently upgraded one of PCs to Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium with 4 GB RAM, i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30 GHz, a hardwired CAT 5 Ethernet connection to the home router and Brighthouse RoadRunner high speed broadband internet service with 20 MB download/2 MB upload Speedtest results.
        >
        > The DV Dongle install completed without any errors and the Dongle works well much of the time.
        >
        > I frequently see "missed keepalive from gateway, count = x" where the count will go up to 3 or 5. I do an "INFO" check on the gateway to which I'm connected and the data updates in an instant. I can always transmit whenever I want without any obvious problem. This leads me to believe that something is occasionally getting in the way of the Dongle's operation.
        >
        > No other application is running in the foreground. I do have a busy system tray running:
        >
        > Canon Wireless Printer connectivity tool
        > Dropbox
        > Microsoft Security Essentials
        > Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Hard disk monitoring?)
        > VIA HD Audio Deck
        > Internet Access (Win 7 Internet Access monitor)
        > Speakers (Win 7 audio system tray tool)
        >
        > Are there tweaks that need to be made to Windows 7 to give priority to the Dongle?
        >
        > Is there a program in Win7 or downloadable that I can use to see what might be tripping up the Dongle's connectivity?
        >
        > Are there known incompatibilities between DV Tool and other Win 7 components that cause the connectivity issue?
        >
        > What is "Missed keepalive" really telling me?
        >
        > Are there any time-tested methods of improving the performance of DV Tool and eliminating the missed keepalive error??
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > 73, Frank KB4T in Florida

      • Ryan Kelzenberg
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 18, 2013

          More than likely the keep alive signal is being missed because of the network connections on the side of the gateway and not on your end.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013
            Here's a follow-up:

            1. First... Thank you to Robin and the others who responded to my note.

            2. It turns out that things are OK on my end. I conducted a few experiments after I read the comments in reply to my note.

            3. I have two dongles here at the house on 2 different Windows 7 computers. I had been connecting to only one gateway most of the time and from that gateway I got the "missed keepalive."

            4. I connected both computers to different gateways that I don't usually use. No "Missed keepalives" on either computer.

            5. I connected the faster of the two computers to the gateway I usually use and saw "missed keepalives" while the slower computer didn't see those errors from another gateway.

            6. I connected both computers to the usual gateway and the "missed keepalives" occurred identically on both computers.

            7. It turns out that most "other" gateways than the one I usually use almost never produce "missed keepalives." The usual gateway produces them fairly often.

            Conclusion: my usual gateway has connectivity issues...not me.

            Live and learn.

            Thanks to all.

            73,

            Frank N. Haas KB4T