Re: Raspberry Pi and DVDongle

  • vk4tux
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
      I'd like to see that ....

      I have given it a good go, and the DV Dongle just needs more horsepower to run than the lil Pi can provide.

      I compiled the test software and saw the DV Dongle flashing trying to start and then a big OS freezup. I have heard of no-one successfullty getting it to work on the Pi.I'd like to see it done.

      Adrian ... vk4tux
    • Roy Jackson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
        Thanks for your reply, Adrian. I'm really sorry to hear that, as it's why I bought the Pi in the first place. I could swear I heard people on D-Star say they are running a dongle and Pi. Wishful thinking perhaps? It's hard to believe the dongle requires that much more horsepower than a DVAP. Oh, well . . . unless I hear differently from someone else, I guess it'll be another decoration on the shelf. Thanks again and 73.

        Roy KW4G

        --
        Roy Jackson KW4G
        Naples, Florida USA

      • Scott Roberts - KK4ECR
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
          Did you try to run the Dongle off of a POWERED USB Hub?  That might make a difference.

          73,

          Scott Roberts - KK4ECR
          (904) 759-7812

          Sent by Scott Roberts from my iPad
        • Tom_Pryts
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
            I'd like to,echo Scott Roberts KK4ECR suggestion about the powered hub and add that I have heard on D star of using an iPad power block. They are rated at 12 watts.

            TOM
            N3NTF

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Roy Jackson <kw4g10@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for your reply, Adrian. I'm really sorry to hear that, as it's why I
                > bought the Pi in the first place. I could swear I heard people on D-Star
                > say they are running a dongle and Pi.

                When They say that they refer too the dvap-dongle. the dvap demands much less cpu than the dvdongle due to no ambe processing. Required.

                I think using the Rpi to network access a DV Dongle on another machine will be as good as it gets.

                Adrian ... vk4tux
              • Roy Jackson
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
                  OK, Adrian, thanks again. I guess when you said the Rpi doesn't have enough horsepower to run a dongle, some people took that to mean not enough electrical power. Running the dongle networked from another computer is beyond my pay scale  Thanks for you helo and 73.

                  Roy KW4G