Raspberry Pi and DVDongle

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
      I have a DVDongle that I use (mostly) for monitoring D-Star activity. I purchased a Raspberry Pi so I could listen to the D-Star network without tieing up a desktop computer. I have the pi up and running without a monitor, keyboard and mouse by using a VNC connection from my desktop computer. The next step appears to be to install some software on the pi to access the DVDongle with. I have the DVTools software that I use on the desktop, but I'm not sure whether that will run on the pi. I see lots of help on the internet for running a DVAP with a pi, but nothing for a DVDongle. Any suggestions? Will the DVAPTool software written for the pi also run a DVDongle? Thanks for any advice that can be offered. I'm as far as I can go. 73.

      Roy KW4G Naples, FL. USA
    • vk4tux
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
        I'd like to see that ....

        I have given it a good go, and the DV Dongle just needs more horsepower to run than the lil Pi can provide.

        I compiled the test software and saw the DV Dongle flashing trying to start and then a big OS freezup. I have heard of no-one successfullty getting it to work on the Pi.I'd like to see it done.

        Adrian ... vk4tux
      • Roy Jackson
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
          Thanks for your reply, Adrian. I'm really sorry to hear that, as it's why I bought the Pi in the first place. I could swear I heard people on D-Star say they are running a dongle and Pi. Wishful thinking perhaps? It's hard to believe the dongle requires that much more horsepower than a DVAP. Oh, well . . . unless I hear differently from someone else, I guess it'll be another decoration on the shelf. Thanks again and 73.

          Roy KW4G

          --
          Roy Jackson KW4G
          Naples, Florida USA

        • Scott Roberts - KK4ECR
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
            Did you try to run the Dongle off of a POWERED USB Hub?  That might make a difference.

            73,

            Scott Roberts - KK4ECR
            (904) 759-7812

            Sent by Scott Roberts from my iPad
          • Tom_Pryts
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
              I'd like to,echo Scott Roberts KK4ECR suggestion about the powered hub and add that I have heard on D star of using an iPad power block. They are rated at 12 watts.

              TOM
              N3NTF

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Roy Jackson <kw4g10@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for your reply, Adrian. I'm really sorry to hear that, as it's why I
                  > bought the Pi in the first place. I could swear I heard people on D-Star
                  > say they are running a dongle and Pi.

                  When They say that they refer too the dvap-dongle. the dvap demands much less cpu than the dvdongle due to no ambe processing. Required.

                  I think using the Rpi to network access a DV Dongle on another machine will be as good as it gets.

                  Adrian ... vk4tux
                • Roy Jackson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
                    OK, Adrian, thanks again. I guess when you said the Rpi doesn't have enough horsepower to run a dongle, some people took that to mean not enough electrical power. Running the dongle networked from another computer is beyond my pay scale  Thanks for you helo and 73.

                    Roy KW4G