RE: [DVDongle] Re: I may regret this...

  • Ryan Kelzenberg
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 28 2:52 PM

      When you have two different D Start devices they both need to be registered in the gateway and they need to have a unique ID.  In your radio you’ll want to program your call sign in the exact same way it is setup in the gateway.   The gateway will request that you add an initial and you can choose which ever one you want.

      Example for my DV Dongle ID is  N0YFE___    (_ are the blank spaces to fill up the 8 digits)
      Example for a DV Mobile  ID is N0YFE__M     (I’d have to program that call sign into the radio including spaces to make 8 digits)

      Here is a nice overview of all of the DStar operations

      http://mirror0412.tripod.com/Nifty_E-Z_Guide_to_D-STAR_Operation.pdf

      Ryan

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 28 2:55 PM
        On 1/03/13 2:23 AM, Robert A Giebel Jr. wrote:
        Is there a similar link for Mac?

        Yep

        http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-2.0beta5-mac.dmg

        --
        73 de Tony VK3JED
        http://vkradio.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 28 3:07 PM
          No.  You are set to go.

          From my HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network

          I already registered with our local D-Star repeater/gateway, KD0RED, in order to use my ID-31A. On the second part of the registration process I used just my call sign to identify the 31A. Is there a need to add the dongle as a separate device or am I good to go already once I get the dongle set-up?

          Ken
          N0VA

          No virus found in this message.

        • John Davis
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 28 5:53 PM

            I have to disagree.  You do NOT have to register two different terminals when using a DVdongle, DVAP and a radio.  When users register more than one terminal, it leads to confusion.  I suggest only having the space for a terminal, then just use your plain callsign in your radio and other devices.

            John WB4QDX

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 28 6:42 PM
              On 1/03/13 9:52 AM, Ryan Kelzenberg wrote:

              When you have two different D Start devices they both need to be registered in the gateway and they need to have a unique ID.  In your radio you’ll want to program your call sign in the exact same way it is setup in the gateway.   The gateway will request that you add an initial and you can choose which ever one you want.

              Generally you do NOT want to register each device separately.  This breaks callsign routing to your callsign.  Callsign routing is intended to be able to find you, wherever you are.  For this to work, all radios you use should have the SAME MY callsign.  The only exception to this is a radio that is going to be running simultaneously but in a different location to your normal day to day operations.

              The reason for having your regular radios (and dongles) the same is that the network will know where you are, as you switch from mobile to portable (strictly speaking, DV Dongles don't work with callsign routing on the Icom platform).  I use a separate callsign for hotspot logins, so they don't get confused with my normal operations, but that's about it.

              --
              73 de Tony VK3JED
              http://vkradio.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 1, 2013
                Normally you only register your call sign 1 time. You do NOT register each device. The 8th space has special meanings for bands, gateways, tests, etc.

                I do not think it is appropriate to list links to copyright material (unless you are the copyright holder) in newsgroups. Just because someone illegally posts something on a web page does not make it OK.

                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Kelzenberg" <ryan.kelzenberg@...> wrote:

                > When you have two different D Start devices they both need to be registered
                > in the gateway and they need to have a unique ID. In your radio you'll want
                > to program your call sign in the exact same way it is setup in the gateway.
                > The gateway will request that you add an initial and you can choose which
                > ever one you want.
                >
                > Example for my DV Dongle ID is N0YFE___ (_ are the blank spaces to fill
                > up the 8 digits)
                > Example for a DV Mobile ID is N0YFE__M (I'd have to program that call
                > sign into the radio including spaces to make 8 digits)
                >
                > Here is a nice overview of all of the DStar operations
                >
                > http://mirror0412.tripod.com/Nifty_E-Z_Guide_to_D-STAR_Operation.pdf
                >
                > Ryan

              • Steve Bosshard (NU5D)
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 1, 2013
                  Thank You John !

                  On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:53 PM, John Davis <wb4qdx@...> wrote:

                  I have to disagree.  You do NOT have to register two different terminals when using a DVdongle, DVAP and a radio.  When users register more than one terminal, it leads to confusion.  I suggest only having the space for a terminal, then just use your plain callsign in your radio and other devices.

                  John WB4QDX

                  --
                  ΙΧΘΥΣ
                • kenn_n0va
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 3, 2013
                    I want to thank this group and all the individuals who took time to sent personal messages of encouragement.

                    The DV Dongle installed with virtually no difficulty as well as did the latest beta version of DVTool. Incredibly cool hardware and software! I've been connecting to reflectors every day ever since.

                    The only thing I notice is that after periods of inactivity on a reflector I start seeing "missed keepalive from gateway..." packets.

                    Thanks to all,

                    Ken