Re: [DVDongle] I may regret this...

  • Bob KF5HGU
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 27, 2013
      Ken

      I am 68 also and Love my Dongle. had a few issues but with the help of the group up and running in a day. If you experience problems post to the group and watch for the help.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 27, 2013
        The hardest part of my setup was to register with a D-star gateway.  Yes, do follow everyone's advice and load the beta version of the software and you'll be fine.

        Ryan Kelzenberg
        Sent from my Ipad

        On Feb 27, 2013, at 8:28 PM, kenn_n0va <n0va@...> wrote:

        I ordered my DV Dongle from a Denver ham radio store and expect to receive it tomorrow, Thursday Feb 28. I am thinking I may quickly come to regret this after reading about all the difficulties users have and are experiencing installing and operating the dongle. Surely many or at least some of these people are as smart or sharper than my enfeebled 68 year old brain!

        So as I become increasingly frustrated with installing and setting up my Dongle you'll hear about it. Sorry.

        Ken - N0VA

      • David Boniface
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 27, 2013
          No reason to regret it Ken, there are thousands of DV Dongles in use and in almost every case, provided that you follow the instructions, will work right out of the box.
          If you do have a problem then post it here and it will be solved in a few hours.
          73
          David JG1CYJ

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 27, 2013
            Ken,

            I would not worry too much about it. Most users install and use these with no issues at all.

            Things to watch for:
            Make sure you have gone online to a DStar Repeater site and registered to get into the system. You only need to do this one time somewhere since all the users get put into a master database of users. Remember it mat take the site you register with a few days to process your info based on how active their admin is.

            Make sure you turn off you software firewall and anti-virus if you can not connect and try it again. You may have to "allow" the program to communicate thru them based on what you use.

            Make sure you get the right mic and speakers selected on your system to match what you are using.

            If you have issue with the default version of DVTool (1.05) then download the beta version of 2.05 - there are some links in other threads that give the link to it. The early version used Java and was a lot slower than the new version which does not use Java.

            If you have a problem search the messages here for a clue to what it is. There are a lot of answers on the forum.

            If it does not go OK just post a question. The responses are pretty fast here compared to many other forums.

            This is a fun product and will greatly increase your ability to use D-Star from home.

            Tom
            AJ4XM

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "kenn_n0va" <n0va@...> wrote:

            > I ordered my DV Dongle from a Denver ham radio store and expect to receive it tomorrow, Thursday Feb 28. I am thinking I may quickly come to regret this after reading about all the difficulties users have and are experiencing installing and operating the dongle. Surely many or at least some of these people are as smart or sharper than my enfeebled 68 year old brain!
            >
            > So as I become increasingly frustrated with installing and setting up my Dongle you'll hear about it. Sorry.
            >
            > Ken - N0VA

          • Daniel Codianni
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 27, 2013
              hi

              I did not have any problem.

              73

              dan codianni
              kd2alv and hk3dc
              On Feb 27, 2013, at 11:56 AM, kenn_n0va wrote:

              I ordered my DV Dongle from a Denver ham radio store and expect to receive it tomorrow, Thursday Feb 28. I am thinking I may quickly come to regret this after reading about all the difficulties users have and are experiencing installing and operating the dongle. Surely many or at least some of these people are as smart or sharper than my enfeebled 68 year old brain!

              So as I become increasingly frustrated with installing and setting up my Dongle you'll hear about it. Sorry.

              Ken - N0VA

            • Roy Jackson
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 28, 2013
                Ken,
                I bought my Dongle used a few months back. The only real issue I had was finding the correct software. Once I discovered the latest version of the DVTools software, things went fairly smooth. I have installed the software on Windows systems and Linux systems. Linux is a little bit harder, because you have to get the permissions right. There is lots of information in cyber-space, though. I am a few years behind you in age, but not much. If I can do it, you can do it. Just hang in there. Like anything else, if you start to get frustrated, walk away from it for a while. You're already a member of this group, so half the battle is over. Good luck, and hear you on D-Star soon. 73.

                Roy KW4G

                --
                Roy Jackson KW4G
                Naples, Florida USA

              • Ted Wrobel
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 28, 2013
                  Well, most of us don't post when things go right, so you only see the [problems. I haven't had any problems with the dongle, suspect you won't eiher. Just remember to RTFM.

                  73
                  Ted
                  W1GRI

                  I ordered my DV Dongle from a Denver ham radio store and expect to receive it tomorrow, Thursday Feb 28. I am thinking I may quickly come to regret this after reading about all the difficulties users have and are experiencing installing and operating the dongle. Surely many or at least some of these people are as smart or sharper than my enfeebled 68 year old brain!

                  So as I become increasingly frustrated with installing and setting up my Dongle you'll hear about it. Sorry.

                  Ken - N0VA

                  No virus found in this message.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 28, 2013
                    That software link should be:

                    http://opendstar.org/tools/DVToolInstaller-2.0beta5.exe

                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, John Davis <wb4qdx@...> wrote:

                    > Ken, don't panic and be discouraged before you get to experience it yourself. What you read are the people with problems and the vast majority of new Dongle users have little or no problem setting it up and getting started. Many who experience problems refuse to read or follow instructions provided (a familiar trait for many Hams).
                    >
                    > A couple of things to keep in mind that will make your setup go much easier.
                    >
                    > * First download the latest software. If you are a Windows user, the file is at http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVToolInstaller-2.0beta5.exe
                    > * Are you already a registered D-STAR user? If not, you will need to register on one and only one system whether or not you operate via RF. The registration process is not the easiest in the world, but following the three steps ensures success. A good step-by-step process is documented at http://www.dstargateway.org It is absolutely important to make sure that the final step of adding a terminal is completed (starting at Step 8 in the instructions). Remember to register on one and only one system and you are registered worldwide. If you're already registered, you're ahead of the game.
                    >
                    > * The third tip is to make sure your callsign is entered in the DVTool software exactly as registered. Some people register their callsign with an "A" after it and forget to use the "A" after their callsign on the software. While some will disagree with this, I strongly recommend only registering a "space" as the terminal. Don't bother using an "A" or "D" as some will recommend. There is absolutely no requirement to register a separate terminal for a Dongle or another radio.
                    >
                    > I hope this helps and don't get frustrated.
                    >
                    > John WB4QDX

                  • Robert A Giebel Jr.
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 28, 2013
                      Is there a similar link for Mac?

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, John Davis wrote:

                      > Ken, don't panic and be discouraged before you get to experience it yourself. What you read are the people with problems and the vast majority of new Dongle users have little or no problem setting it up and getting started. Many who experience problems refuse to read or follow instructions provided (a familiar trait for many Hams).
                      >
                      > A couple of things to keep in mind that will make your setup go much easier.
                      >
                      > * First download the latest software. If you are a Windows user, the file is at http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVToolInstaller-2.0beta5.exe
                      > * Are you already a registered D-STAR user? If not, you will need to register on one and only one system whether or not you operate via RF. The registration process is not the easiest in the world, but following the three steps ensures success. A good step-by-step process is documented at http://www.dstargateway.org. It is absolutely important to make sure that the final step of adding a terminal is completed (starting at Step 8 in the instructions). Remember to register on one and only one system and you are registered worldwide. If you're already registered, you're ahead of the game.
                      >
                      > * The third tip is to make sure your callsign is entered in the DVTool software exactly as registered. Some people register their callsign with an "A" after it and forget to use the "A" after their callsign on the software. While some will disagree with this, I strongly recommend only registering a "space" as the terminal. Don't bother using an "A" or "D" as some will recommend. There is absolutely no requirement to register a separate terminal for a Dongle or another radio.
                      >
                      > I hope this helps and don't get frustrated.
                      >
                      > John WB4QDX

                    • kenn_n0va
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 28, 2013
                        I already registered with our local D-Star repeater/gateway, KD0RED, in order to use my ID-31A. On the second part of the registration process I used just my call sign to identify the 31A. Is there a need to add the dongle as a separate device or am I good to go already once I get the dongle set-up?

                        Ken
                        N0VA
                      • Tony Langdon
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 28, 2013
                          On 28/02/13 9:11 PM, Roy Jackson wrote:
                          Ken,
                          I bought my Dongle used a few months back. The only real issue I had was finding the correct software. Once I discovered the latest version of the DVTools software, things went fairly smooth. I have installed the software on Windows systems and Linux systems. Linux is a little bit harder, because you have to get the permissions right. There is lots of information in cyber-space, though. I am a few years behind you in age, but not much. If I can do it, you can do it. Just hang in there. Like anything else, if you start to get frustrated, walk away from it for a while. You're already a member of this group, so half the battle is over. Good luck, and hear you on D-Star soon. 73.
                          I've had my Dongle up and running on Windows and Mac with no issues.  Only Linux box I've tried it on was a netbook, which didn't have the CPU horsepower to run it properly.

                          --
                          73 de Tony VK3JED
                          http://vkradio.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 28, 2013

                            When you have two different D Start devices they both need to be registered in the gateway and they need to have a unique ID.  In your radio you’ll want to program your call sign in the exact same way it is setup in the gateway.   The gateway will request that you add an initial and you can choose which ever one you want.

                            Example for my DV Dongle ID is  N0YFE___    (_ are the blank spaces to fill up the 8 digits)
                            Example for a DV Mobile  ID is N0YFE__M     (I’d have to program that call sign into the radio including spaces to make 8 digits)

                            Here is a nice overview of all of the DStar operations

                            http://mirror0412.tripod.com/Nifty_E-Z_Guide_to_D-STAR_Operation.pdf

                            Ryan

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 28, 2013
                              On 1/03/13 2:23 AM, Robert A Giebel Jr. wrote:
                              Is there a similar link for Mac?

                              Yep

                              http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-2.0beta5-mac.dmg

                              --
                              73 de Tony VK3JED
                              http://vkradio.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 28, 2013
                                No.  You are set to go.

                                From my HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network

                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 28, 2013

                                  I have to disagree.  You do NOT have to register two different terminals when using a DVdongle, DVAP and a radio.  When users register more than one terminal, it leads to confusion.  I suggest only having the space for a terminal, then just use your plain callsign in your radio and other devices.

                                  John WB4QDX

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 28, 2013
                                    On 1/03/13 9:52 AM, Ryan Kelzenberg wrote:

                                    When you have two different D Start devices they both need to be registered in the gateway and they need to have a unique ID.  In your radio you’ll want to program your call sign in the exact same way it is setup in the gateway.   The gateway will request that you add an initial and you can choose which ever one you want.

                                    Generally you do NOT want to register each device separately.  This breaks callsign routing to your callsign.  Callsign routing is intended to be able to find you, wherever you are.  For this to work, all radios you use should have the SAME MY callsign.  The only exception to this is a radio that is going to be running simultaneously but in a different location to your normal day to day operations.

                                    The reason for having your regular radios (and dongles) the same is that the network will know where you are, as you switch from mobile to portable (strictly speaking, DV Dongles don't work with callsign routing on the Icom platform).  I use a separate callsign for hotspot logins, so they don't get confused with my normal operations, but that's about it.

                                    --
                                    73 de Tony VK3JED
                                    http://vkradio.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 1, 2013
                                      Normally you only register your call sign 1 time. You do NOT register each device. The 8th space has special meanings for bands, gateways, tests, etc.

                                      I do not think it is appropriate to list links to copyright material (unless you are the copyright holder) in newsgroups. Just because someone illegally posts something on a web page does not make it OK.

                                      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Kelzenberg" <ryan.kelzenberg@...> wrote:

                                      > When you have two different D Start devices they both need to be registered
                                      > in the gateway and they need to have a unique ID. In your radio you'll want
                                      > to program your call sign in the exact same way it is setup in the gateway.
                                      > The gateway will request that you add an initial and you can choose which
                                      > ever one you want.
                                      >
                                      > Example for my DV Dongle ID is N0YFE___ (_ are the blank spaces to fill
                                      > up the 8 digits)
                                      > Example for a DV Mobile ID is N0YFE__M (I'd have to program that call
                                      > sign into the radio including spaces to make 8 digits)
                                      >
                                      > Here is a nice overview of all of the DStar operations
                                      >
                                      > http://mirror0412.tripod.com/Nifty_E-Z_Guide_to_D-STAR_Operation.pdf
                                      >
                                      > Ryan

                                    • Steve Bosshard (NU5D)
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 1, 2013
                                        Thank You John !

                                        On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:53 PM, John Davis <wb4qdx@...> wrote:

                                        I have to disagree.  You do NOT have to register two different terminals when using a DVdongle, DVAP and a radio.  When users register more than one terminal, it leads to confusion.  I suggest only having the space for a terminal, then just use your plain callsign in your radio and other devices.

                                        John WB4QDX

                                        --
                                        ΙΧΘΥΣ
                                      • kenn_n0va
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 3, 2013
                                          I want to thank this group and all the individuals who took time to sent personal messages of encouragement.

                                          The DV Dongle installed with virtually no difficulty as well as did the latest beta version of DVTool. Incredibly cool hardware and software! I've been connecting to reflectors every day ever since.

                                          The only thing I notice is that after periods of inactivity on a reflector I start seeing "missed keepalive from gateway..." packets.

                                          Thanks to all,

                                          Ken