RE: [DVDongle] Re: Issue starting dongle / dvtool

  • Woodrick, Ed
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 22, 2013

      Ryan,

      Not sure what your problem is, but there’s evidently something different about your environment.

      I’ve loaded the DVTool beta on a number of computers and haven’t had any issues with it. Basically, my rules are:

      ·         Make sure that the computer has Internet connectivity

      ·         Insert DVDongle

      ·         Wait for drivers to be downloaded and installed

      ·         Start the DVTool software

      Look for something else that may try to talk to the chip. Anything that supports serial, GPS, mouse, etc?.

      Look in device Manager under Ports. Do you see a USB Serial Port? What com port number is it?

      And yes, I’ve run the DVDongle on Windows Vista x32 and x64, Windows 7, x32 and x64, as well as Windows 8, x32 and x64. They all work well and have been no problems for me. And I’ve also run it on an Atom Netbook with no issues.

      Ed WA4YIH

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013
        Yeah, I think that's what I'm getting towards. I've been working in a separate email thread with Robin as well, but so far no luck.

        I've also now tried the dongle on a mac (OS 10.8) and linux (CentOS) machines, with the same result in the java version (closed connection). Couldn't try 2.0 because of code signing policy on the mac and the CentOS machine doesn't have the right ABI support (it's about a year old distro).

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "vk4tux" wrote:

        > I would be posting the DVDongle to Robin AA4RC to test.
        > Seems like a rare FTDI chip/hardware issue. I had a rare issue with a serial number on one of mine and Robin provided guidance on reprogramming the correct FTDI serial (not DV s/n).
        >
        > good luck
        >
        > vk4tux
        >

        > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "rdrogo" wrote:
        > >

        > > As a followup, I've now also tried:
        > >
        > > 1) Using the DVToolTest.exe file instead of DVTool.exe. If I do that, I still get the not found error, and get the following information in the console:
        > > Searching 1 FTDI serial devices
        > > Found FTDI device at index 0 location 530 serial description USB <-> Serial
        > > Skipping FTDI Device USB <-> Serial
        > > Found 0 FTDI device(s)
        > >
        > > 2) I gave the dongle to a friend to try on his system, and he reported the same behavior as I described above.
        > >

        > > Thanks,
        > > Ryan
        > > KI6ZLC

      • Adrian
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013

            Yeah, I think that's what I'm getting towards. I've been working in a separate email thread with Robin as well, but so far no luck.

          I've also now tried the dongle on a mac (OS 10.8) and linux (CentOS) machines, with the same result in the java version (closed connection). Couldn't try 2.0 because of code signing policy on the mac and the CentOS machine doesn't have the right ABI support (it's about a year old distro).

          Ok on that, CentOS should be fine, I currently am using fedora 18.

          Try run > #dmesg in terminal

          12.482991] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
          [   12.483078] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
          [   12.483128] ftdi_sio 2-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
          [   12.483151] usb 2-1: Detected FT232RL
          [   12.483153] usb 2-1: Number of endpoints 2
          [   12.483155] usb 2-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
          [   12.483157] usb 2-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
          [   12.483158] usb 2-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
          [   12.485786] usb 2-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
          [   12.485809] ftdi_sio 3-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
          [   12.485827] usb 3-1: Detected FT232RL
          [   12.485829] usb 3-1: Number of endpoints 2
          [   12.485830] usb 3-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
          [   12.485832] usb 3-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
          [   12.485834] usb 3-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
          [   12.487973] usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1

          ttyUSB0 =DV Dongle
          ttyUSB1 = Dvap

          I link the script executable (DVTool.sh with modified path) to usr/bin/DVTool

          ln -s /root/Downloads/DVTool/DVTool.sh /usr/bin/DVTool

          so;

          [root@fedora18desk ~]# DVTool
          DVTool version 2.0beta5
          Restored parameters:
            UserCallsign=VK4TUX
            UserMessage=Adrian
            DVDevice=/dev/ttyUSB0
            AudioInDevice=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
            AudioOutDevice=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
            Gateway=REF001
            Module=C
            FavoriteGW=N
            PTTLock=N
            AutoReconnect=N
            Style=Cleanlooks
            Colors=BlackOnSeaMist
            FavoriteGWList=
          O/S: Linux
          name=sysdefault:CARD=Intel
          channels=1 2
          frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
          byte orders=1 0
          codecs=audio/pcm
          samplesizes=8 16 32
          sampletypes=1 2 3

          name=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
          channels=1 2
          frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
          byte orders=1 0
          codecs=audio/pcm
          samplesizes=8 16 32
          sampletypes=1 2 3

          name=default
          channels=1 2
          frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
          byte orders=1 0
          codecs=audio/pcm
          samplesizes=8 16 32
          sampletypes=1 2 3

          name=sysdefault:CARD=Intel
          channels=1 2 4 6 8
          frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
          byte orders=1 0
          codecs=audio/pcm
          samplesizes=8 16 32
          sampletypes=1 2 3

          name=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
          channels=1 2 4 6 8
          frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
          byte orders=1 0
          codecs=audio/pcm
          samplesizes=8 16 32
          sampletypes=1 2 3

          name=default
          channels=1 2 4 6 8
          frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
          byte orders=1 0
          codecs=audio/pcm
          samplesizes=8 16 32
          sampletypes=1 2 3

          Input devices: sysdefault:CARD=Intel sysdefault:CARD=Headset default
          Output devices: sysdefault:CARD=Intel sysdefault:CARD=Headset default
          FTDI serial device ttyUSB0 found (A9003R9J)
          FTDI serial device ttyUSB1 found (A6007ELQ)
          Module changed to A
          Module changed from A to C
          Added audio input device: sysdefault:CARD=Intel
          Audio input device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Intel
          Added audio input device: sysdefault:CARD=Headset
          Audio input device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Headset
          Added audio input device: default
          Added audio output device: sysdefault:CARD=Intel
          Audio output device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Intel
          Added audio output device: sysdefault:CARD=Headset
          Audio output device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Headset
          Added audio output device: default
          Style changed to Windows
          Style changed to Cleanlooks
          Found 2 FTDI device(s)
          Available builtin palettes:
          BlackOnMellon
          BlackOnPink
          BlackOnSeaMist
          GoldOnBlack
          WhiteOnDarkRed
          WhiteOnNavyBlue
          WhiteOnPurpleBlue
          WhiteOnSteelBlue
          WhiteOnTeal
          Available external palettes:
          Test
          Loaded palette :/dvtoolresources/palettes/BlackOnMellon.qpalette
          Loaded palette :/dvtoolresources/palettes/BlackOnSeaMist.qpalette

          Good Luck

          Adrian ... vk4tux