RE: [DVDongle] Re: Issue starting dongle / dvtool

  • Kevin Wesolowski
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013

      Did you use the driver package in

      http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

      ???

      Kevin

      KD7DFV

      From: rdrogo [mailto:psychohamster@...]
      Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 11:57 AM
      To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [DVDongle] Re: Issue starting dongle / dvtool

      As a followup, I've now also tried:

      1) Using the DVToolTest.exe file instead of DVTool.exe. If I do that, I still get the not found error, and get the following information in the console:
      Searching 1 FTDI serial devices
      Found FTDI device at index 0 location 530 serial description USB <-> Serial
      Skipping FTDI Device USB <-> Serial
      Found 0 FTDI device(s)

      2) I gave the dongle to a friend to try on his system, and he reported the same behavior as I described above.

      Thanks,
      Ryan
      KI6ZLC

    • rdrogo
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 22, 2013
        Yup, sure did.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Wesolowski" wrote:

        > Did you use the driver package in
        >
        > http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
        >
        > ???
        >

        > Kevin
        >
        > KD7DFV

      • Woodrick, Ed
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 22, 2013

          Ryan,

          Not sure what your problem is, but there’s evidently something different about your environment.

          I’ve loaded the DVTool beta on a number of computers and haven’t had any issues with it. Basically, my rules are:

          ·         Make sure that the computer has Internet connectivity

          ·         Insert DVDongle

          ·         Wait for drivers to be downloaded and installed

          ·         Start the DVTool software

          Look for something else that may try to talk to the chip. Anything that supports serial, GPS, mouse, etc?.

          Look in device Manager under Ports. Do you see a USB Serial Port? What com port number is it?

          And yes, I’ve run the DVDongle on Windows Vista x32 and x64, Windows 7, x32 and x64, as well as Windows 8, x32 and x64. They all work well and have been no problems for me. And I’ve also run it on an Atom Netbook with no issues.

          Ed WA4YIH

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013
            Yeah, I think that's what I'm getting towards. I've been working in a separate email thread with Robin as well, but so far no luck.

            I've also now tried the dongle on a mac (OS 10.8) and linux (CentOS) machines, with the same result in the java version (closed connection). Couldn't try 2.0 because of code signing policy on the mac and the CentOS machine doesn't have the right ABI support (it's about a year old distro).

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "vk4tux" wrote:

            > I would be posting the DVDongle to Robin AA4RC to test.
            > Seems like a rare FTDI chip/hardware issue. I had a rare issue with a serial number on one of mine and Robin provided guidance on reprogramming the correct FTDI serial (not DV s/n).
            >
            > good luck
            >
            > vk4tux
            >

            > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "rdrogo" wrote:
            > >

            > > As a followup, I've now also tried:
            > >
            > > 1) Using the DVToolTest.exe file instead of DVTool.exe. If I do that, I still get the not found error, and get the following information in the console:
            > > Searching 1 FTDI serial devices
            > > Found FTDI device at index 0 location 530 serial description USB <-> Serial
            > > Skipping FTDI Device USB <-> Serial
            > > Found 0 FTDI device(s)
            > >
            > > 2) I gave the dongle to a friend to try on his system, and he reported the same behavior as I described above.
            > >

            > > Thanks,
            > > Ryan
            > > KI6ZLC

          • Adrian
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013

                Yeah, I think that's what I'm getting towards. I've been working in a separate email thread with Robin as well, but so far no luck.

              I've also now tried the dongle on a mac (OS 10.8) and linux (CentOS) machines, with the same result in the java version (closed connection). Couldn't try 2.0 because of code signing policy on the mac and the CentOS machine doesn't have the right ABI support (it's about a year old distro).

              Ok on that, CentOS should be fine, I currently am using fedora 18.

              Try run > #dmesg in terminal

              12.482991] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
              [   12.483078] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
              [   12.483128] ftdi_sio 2-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
              [   12.483151] usb 2-1: Detected FT232RL
              [   12.483153] usb 2-1: Number of endpoints 2
              [   12.483155] usb 2-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
              [   12.483157] usb 2-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
              [   12.483158] usb 2-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
              [   12.485786] usb 2-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
              [   12.485809] ftdi_sio 3-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
              [   12.485827] usb 3-1: Detected FT232RL
              [   12.485829] usb 3-1: Number of endpoints 2
              [   12.485830] usb 3-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
              [   12.485832] usb 3-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
              [   12.485834] usb 3-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
              [   12.487973] usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1

              ttyUSB0 =DV Dongle
              ttyUSB1 = Dvap

              I link the script executable (DVTool.sh with modified path) to usr/bin/DVTool

              ln -s /root/Downloads/DVTool/DVTool.sh /usr/bin/DVTool

              so;

              [root@fedora18desk ~]# DVTool
              DVTool version 2.0beta5
              Restored parameters:
                UserCallsign=VK4TUX
                UserMessage=Adrian
                DVDevice=/dev/ttyUSB0
                AudioInDevice=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
                AudioOutDevice=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
                Gateway=REF001
                Module=C
                FavoriteGW=N
                PTTLock=N
                AutoReconnect=N
                Style=Cleanlooks
                Colors=BlackOnSeaMist
                FavoriteGWList=
              O/S: Linux
              name=sysdefault:CARD=Intel
              channels=1 2
              frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
              byte orders=1 0
              codecs=audio/pcm
              samplesizes=8 16 32
              sampletypes=1 2 3

              name=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
              channels=1 2
              frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
              byte orders=1 0
              codecs=audio/pcm
              samplesizes=8 16 32
              sampletypes=1 2 3

              name=default
              channels=1 2
              frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
              byte orders=1 0
              codecs=audio/pcm
              samplesizes=8 16 32
              sampletypes=1 2 3

              name=sysdefault:CARD=Intel
              channels=1 2 4 6 8
              frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
              byte orders=1 0
              codecs=audio/pcm
              samplesizes=8 16 32
              sampletypes=1 2 3

              name=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
              channels=1 2 4 6 8
              frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
              byte orders=1 0
              codecs=audio/pcm
              samplesizes=8 16 32
              sampletypes=1 2 3

              name=default
              channels=1 2 4 6 8
              frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
              byte orders=1 0
              codecs=audio/pcm
              samplesizes=8 16 32
              sampletypes=1 2 3

              Input devices: sysdefault:CARD=Intel sysdefault:CARD=Headset default
              Output devices: sysdefault:CARD=Intel sysdefault:CARD=Headset default
              FTDI serial device ttyUSB0 found (A9003R9J)
              FTDI serial device ttyUSB1 found (A6007ELQ)
              Module changed to A
              Module changed from A to C
              Added audio input device: sysdefault:CARD=Intel
              Audio input device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Intel
              Added audio input device: sysdefault:CARD=Headset
              Audio input device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Headset
              Added audio input device: default
              Added audio output device: sysdefault:CARD=Intel
              Audio output device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Intel
              Added audio output device: sysdefault:CARD=Headset
              Audio output device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Headset
              Added audio output device: default
              Style changed to Windows
              Style changed to Cleanlooks
              Found 2 FTDI device(s)
              Available builtin palettes:
              BlackOnMellon
              BlackOnPink
              BlackOnSeaMist
              GoldOnBlack
              WhiteOnDarkRed
              WhiteOnNavyBlue
              WhiteOnPurpleBlue
              WhiteOnSteelBlue
              WhiteOnTeal
              Available external palettes:
              Test
              Loaded palette :/dvtoolresources/palettes/BlackOnMellon.qpalette
              Loaded palette :/dvtoolresources/palettes/BlackOnSeaMist.qpalette

              Good Luck

              Adrian ... vk4tux