RE: [DVDongle] Re: Issue starting dongle / dvtool

  • Kevin Wesolowski
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013

      Did you use the driver package in

      http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

      ???

      Kevin

      KD7DFV

      From: rdrogo [mailto:psychohamster@...]
      Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 11:57 AM
      To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [DVDongle] Re: Issue starting dongle / dvtool

      As a followup, I've now also tried:

      1) Using the DVToolTest.exe file instead of DVTool.exe. If I do that, I still get the not found error, and get the following information in the console:
      Searching 1 FTDI serial devices
      Found FTDI device at index 0 location 530 serial description USB <-> Serial
      Skipping FTDI Device USB <-> Serial
      Found 0 FTDI device(s)

      2) I gave the dongle to a friend to try on his system, and he reported the same behavior as I described above.

      Thanks,
      Ryan
      KI6ZLC

    • rdrogo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013
        Yup, sure did.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Wesolowski" wrote:

        > Did you use the driver package in
        >
        > http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
        >
        > ???
        >

        > Kevin
        >
        > KD7DFV

      • Woodrick, Ed
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013

          Ryan,

          Not sure what your problem is, but there’s evidently something different about your environment.

          I’ve loaded the DVTool beta on a number of computers and haven’t had any issues with it. Basically, my rules are:

          ·         Make sure that the computer has Internet connectivity

          ·         Insert DVDongle

          ·         Wait for drivers to be downloaded and installed

          ·         Start the DVTool software

          Look for something else that may try to talk to the chip. Anything that supports serial, GPS, mouse, etc?.

          Look in device Manager under Ports. Do you see a USB Serial Port? What com port number is it?

          And yes, I’ve run the DVDongle on Windows Vista x32 and x64, Windows 7, x32 and x64, as well as Windows 8, x32 and x64. They all work well and have been no problems for me. And I’ve also run it on an Atom Netbook with no issues.

          Ed WA4YIH

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
            Yeah, I think that's what I'm getting towards. I've been working in a separate email thread with Robin as well, but so far no luck.

            I've also now tried the dongle on a mac (OS 10.8) and linux (CentOS) machines, with the same result in the java version (closed connection). Couldn't try 2.0 because of code signing policy on the mac and the CentOS machine doesn't have the right ABI support (it's about a year old distro).