Re: Issue starting dongle / dvtool

  • vk4tux
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "vk2ah" wrote:

      > Hi, Try running Dv tool2.beta 5.
      > This may help you out. Regards VK2AH

      He did;

      "> So then I tried the 2.0beta5 version. On all systems, this produces the dreaded No DV Dongle found message, despite the dongle being attached and

      > the light pulsing slowly.
      >
      > Following the advice I've found here on the boards, I've then tried:

      "

      vk4tux
    • vk4tux
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
        I would be posting the DVDongle to Robin AA4RC to test.
        Seems like a rare FTDI chip/hardware issue. I had a rare issue with a serial number on one of mine and Robin provided guidance on reprogramming the correct FTDI serial (not DV s/n).

        good luck

        vk4tux

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "rdrogo" wrote:

        > As a followup, I've now also tried:
        >
        > 1) Using the DVToolTest.exe file instead of DVTool.exe. If I do that, I still get the not found error, and get the following information in the console:
        > Searching 1 FTDI serial devices
        > Found FTDI device at index 0 location 530 serial description USB <-> Serial
        > Skipping FTDI Device USB <-> Serial
        > Found 0 FTDI device(s)
        >
        > 2) I gave the dongle to a friend to try on his system, and he reported the same behavior as I described above.
        >

        > Thanks,
        > Ryan
        > KI6ZLC

      • Kevin Wesolowski
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013

          Did you use the driver package in

          http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

          ???

          Kevin

          KD7DFV

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 22, 2013
            Yup, sure did.

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Wesolowski" wrote:

            > Did you use the driver package in
            >
            > http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
            >
            > ???
            >

            > Kevin
            >
            > KD7DFV

          • Woodrick, Ed
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 22, 2013

              Ryan,

              Not sure what your problem is, but there’s evidently something different about your environment.

              I’ve loaded the DVTool beta on a number of computers and haven’t had any issues with it. Basically, my rules are:

              ·         Make sure that the computer has Internet connectivity

              ·         Insert DVDongle

              ·         Wait for drivers to be downloaded and installed

              ·         Start the DVTool software

              Look for something else that may try to talk to the chip. Anything that supports serial, GPS, mouse, etc?.

              Look in device Manager under Ports. Do you see a USB Serial Port? What com port number is it?

              And yes, I’ve run the DVDongle on Windows Vista x32 and x64, Windows 7, x32 and x64, as well as Windows 8, x32 and x64. They all work well and have been no problems for me. And I’ve also run it on an Atom Netbook with no issues.

              Ed WA4YIH

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013
                Yeah, I think that's what I'm getting towards. I've been working in a separate email thread with Robin as well, but so far no luck.

                I've also now tried the dongle on a mac (OS 10.8) and linux (CentOS) machines, with the same result in the java version (closed connection). Couldn't try 2.0 because of code signing policy on the mac and the CentOS machine doesn't have the right ABI support (it's about a year old distro).

                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "vk4tux" wrote:

                > I would be posting the DVDongle to Robin AA4RC to test.
                > Seems like a rare FTDI chip/hardware issue. I had a rare issue with a serial number on one of mine and Robin provided guidance on reprogramming the correct FTDI serial (not DV s/n).
                >
                > good luck
                >
                > vk4tux
                >

                > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "rdrogo" wrote:
                > >

                > > As a followup, I've now also tried:
                > >
                > > 1) Using the DVToolTest.exe file instead of DVTool.exe. If I do that, I still get the not found error, and get the following information in the console:
                > > Searching 1 FTDI serial devices
                > > Found FTDI device at index 0 location 530 serial description USB <-> Serial
                > > Skipping FTDI Device USB <-> Serial
                > > Found 0 FTDI device(s)
                > >
                > > 2) I gave the dongle to a friend to try on his system, and he reported the same behavior as I described above.
                > >

                > > Thanks,
                > > Ryan
                > > KI6ZLC

              • Adrian
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013

                    Yeah, I think that's what I'm getting towards. I've been working in a separate email thread with Robin as well, but so far no luck.

                  I've also now tried the dongle on a mac (OS 10.8) and linux (CentOS) machines, with the same result in the java version (closed connection). Couldn't try 2.0 because of code signing policy on the mac and the CentOS machine doesn't have the right ABI support (it's about a year old distro).

                  Ok on that, CentOS should be fine, I currently am using fedora 18.

                  Try run > #dmesg in terminal

                  12.482991] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
                  [   12.483078] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
                  [   12.483128] ftdi_sio 2-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
                  [   12.483151] usb 2-1: Detected FT232RL
                  [   12.483153] usb 2-1: Number of endpoints 2
                  [   12.483155] usb 2-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
                  [   12.483157] usb 2-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
                  [   12.483158] usb 2-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
                  [   12.485786] usb 2-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
                  [   12.485809] ftdi_sio 3-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
                  [   12.485827] usb 3-1: Detected FT232RL
                  [   12.485829] usb 3-1: Number of endpoints 2
                  [   12.485830] usb 3-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
                  [   12.485832] usb 3-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
                  [   12.485834] usb 3-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
                  [   12.487973] usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1

                  ttyUSB0 =DV Dongle
                  ttyUSB1 = Dvap

                  I link the script executable (DVTool.sh with modified path) to usr/bin/DVTool

                  ln -s /root/Downloads/DVTool/DVTool.sh /usr/bin/DVTool

                  so;

                  [root@fedora18desk ~]# DVTool
                  DVTool version 2.0beta5
                  Restored parameters:
                    UserCallsign=VK4TUX
                    UserMessage=Adrian
                    DVDevice=/dev/ttyUSB0
                    AudioInDevice=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
                    AudioOutDevice=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
                    Gateway=REF001
                    Module=C
                    FavoriteGW=N
                    PTTLock=N
                    AutoReconnect=N
                    Style=Cleanlooks
                    Colors=BlackOnSeaMist
                    FavoriteGWList=
                  O/S: Linux
                  name=sysdefault:CARD=Intel
                  channels=1 2
                  frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
                  byte orders=1 0
                  codecs=audio/pcm
                  samplesizes=8 16 32
                  sampletypes=1 2 3

                  name=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
                  channels=1 2
                  frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
                  byte orders=1 0
                  codecs=audio/pcm
                  samplesizes=8 16 32
                  sampletypes=1 2 3

                  name=default
                  channels=1 2
                  frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
                  byte orders=1 0
                  codecs=audio/pcm
                  samplesizes=8 16 32
                  sampletypes=1 2 3

                  name=sysdefault:CARD=Intel
                  channels=1 2 4 6 8
                  frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
                  byte orders=1 0
                  codecs=audio/pcm
                  samplesizes=8 16 32
                  sampletypes=1 2 3

                  name=sysdefault:CARD=Headset
                  channels=1 2 4 6 8
                  frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
                  byte orders=1 0
                  codecs=audio/pcm
                  samplesizes=8 16 32
                  sampletypes=1 2 3

                  name=default
                  channels=1 2 4 6 8
                  frequencies=8000 11025 22050 44100 48000
                  byte orders=1 0
                  codecs=audio/pcm
                  samplesizes=8 16 32
                  sampletypes=1 2 3

                  Input devices: sysdefault:CARD=Intel sysdefault:CARD=Headset default
                  Output devices: sysdefault:CARD=Intel sysdefault:CARD=Headset default
                  FTDI serial device ttyUSB0 found (A9003R9J)
                  FTDI serial device ttyUSB1 found (A6007ELQ)
                  Module changed to A
                  Module changed from A to C
                  Added audio input device: sysdefault:CARD=Intel
                  Audio input device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Intel
                  Added audio input device: sysdefault:CARD=Headset
                  Audio input device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Headset
                  Added audio input device: default
                  Added audio output device: sysdefault:CARD=Intel
                  Audio output device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Intel
                  Added audio output device: sysdefault:CARD=Headset
                  Audio output device changed to sysdefault:CARD=Headset
                  Added audio output device: default
                  Style changed to Windows
                  Style changed to Cleanlooks
                  Found 2 FTDI device(s)
                  Available builtin palettes:
                  BlackOnMellon
                  BlackOnPink
                  BlackOnSeaMist
                  GoldOnBlack
                  WhiteOnDarkRed
                  WhiteOnNavyBlue
                  WhiteOnPurpleBlue
                  WhiteOnSteelBlue
                  WhiteOnTeal
                  Available external palettes:
                  Test
                  Loaded palette :/dvtoolresources/palettes/BlackOnMellon.qpalette
                  Loaded palette :/dvtoolresources/palettes/BlackOnSeaMist.qpalette

                  Good Luck

                  Adrian ... vk4tux