Re: Linux DVTool logging

  • vk4tux
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 28, 2012
      Linux previous shown example wipes existing log to start anew.

      To append and create a growing monster logfile everytime you run DVTool, then use eg;

      DVTool.sh
      #!/bin/bash

      cd /Home/DVTool/

      ./DVTool >> /tmp/dvtool.log

      Replace tmp with other desired Home path

      Menu Launcher;

      /Home/DVTool/DVTool.sh

    • n3gwg
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 18, 2012
        VK4TUX,

        Well, I had written a script (I'll publish it when next I reboot my Linux partition and grab it), that basically filters from the STDIN "User message" traffic as well as call sign logs.

        What might be a rather interesting enhancement to DVTool would be to do logging to syslog with an option to control what gets logged to syslog also. If this were done then there could be a specific level of logging for just call sign data. Moreover, that would make it very easy to stuff all the logs into a MySQL (or other SQL database, I think on Windows there is the "JET engine" that is free to use) to keep searchable logs in.

        When Robin eventually gets the source code for DVTool published then I would like to look at creating patches to add this kind of functionality to DVTool. That said, I have no Windows development environment (nor do I plan to appoint one) and so my contributions would likely only be suitable for use within the Linux environment relative to DVTool.

        73,

        Stuart, N3GWG