Re: No gateways, no instructions

  • bh_mayor
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2012
      Robin, et alia:

      Since posting the below message a couple of days ago, I have some additional things to add (I am also quite curious why it took several days to see the message post, but I am content to blame that on Hurricane Sandy):

      1) I installed the FTDI drivers (VCP) under Windows 7 and installed the 2.0beta5 software under Windows 7, no love that way either (says that no dongle is connected)!

      2) Under Linux (Ubuntu 12.04), it gives me a message that says:

      It looks like you are connected to a USB serial device other than the DV Dongle. Please check your device com port.

      I get this when I try to connect to /dev/ttyUSB0

      However, when I unplug the DV Dongle, the /dev/ttyUSB0 port disappears from /dev and when I plug the dongle back in, the /dev/ttyUSB0 port reappears, thus, I know I must be on the correct port!?!!

      3) I am registered with K3PDR (and use my 92AD on their repeater with no problems), and I am quite sure K3PDR supports Dongles. That said, I do not even get the list of gateways so I can even see who is on it.

      Thanks,

      Stuart

      P.S. - I know that it goes against all the known rules and logic of being a Computer Scientist, but I actually read manuals before I use something new. I was very resigned when I saw how little documentation there was with the dongle. I do not regret my purchase and I am quite sure the dongle will be made to work (even if it needs warranty service or replacement). But, I sure do hope that the DV Dongle purchasers of the future are treated to at least a CD with a manual in PDF format on it, if not, a paper manual.