Re: new dongle

  • john_ke5c
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 31, 2008
      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferris <k6daf@...> wrote:

      > I think it now sees it. Cannot tell when I hit open in window by
      com port I get error "Cannot exec ambe server" ....
      > Does the pulsating green light mean the computer sees the Dongle
      and what does the three blinking blue lights mean.

      Doug, yes, the pulstating green light means your computer/driver see
      the Dongle. Make sure you have the current version of Java specified
      in the installation instructions, and be sure you have upacked the
      DVTool folder to your Desktop and are executing it from there. (Ask
      me know I know this...). You're getting closer!

      73, John
    • Lyman H. Wolfla II
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 31, 2008
        I have found it very important to carefully read the instructions.
        The DV files must be placed in the Desktop, and you need to install
        the serial port connection to the Dongle before you open the
        software. I had the same type problems as seen on the reflector, and
        by going back and following the instructions carefully, everything
        came up and worked. I now have it running under Windows XP on a
        notebook and Dell desktop, and it sounds great.
        73, Hank - K9LZJ

        ______________
        > Be a better friend, newshound, and

      • Doug Ferris
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 1, 2008
          OK I give up::::

          I have removed and reinstalled software on both laptop and desktop:
              1. On laptop   dongle is flashing green only when I hit open I get cannot exec ambe server.

              2. On Desktop  dongle never flashes.  When I hit open I get a message about something 20002 (sorry at office and don't have exact message)

          Do I have a bad dongle?  Or am I out in left field.

          If anyone would like to call me I am at the office with laptop all day.  Number is 760-744-6887 if you don't want to pay LD email me your number and I will call you.

          Thanks

          Doug
          K6DAF

          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 1, 2008
            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferris <k6daf@...> wrote:

            > OK I give up::::
            >
            > I have removed and reinstalled software on both laptop and desktop:
            > 1. On laptop dongle is flashing green only when I hit open I
            get cannot exec ambe server.

            > 2. On Desktop dongle never flashes. When I hit open I get a
            message about something 20002 (sorry at office and don't have exact
            message)

            > Do I have a bad dongle? Or am I out in left field.
            >
            > If anyone would like to call me I am at the office with laptop all
            day. Number is 760-744-6887 if you don't want to pay LD email me
            your number and I will call you.

            > Thanks
            >
            > Doug
            > K6DAF

            If the dongle doesn't PULSE green when you plug it in, either you
            don't have the drivers loaded properly, the USB port is bad, or you
            don't have the cable pushed all the way in.

            I tested each dongle before it was shipped out so I hope it is
            good. :)

            I'll try to give you a ring this weekend and see if we can figure out
            what is going on.

          • Lyman H. Wolfla II
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 1, 2008
              It looks like some are having the same problem with the 20002 error
              message coming up. I have had this problem, and the only way I can
              fix it is to move the Dongle between USB ports. For some reason, on
              both of my Windows XP machines, sometimes the Dongle will not
              connect. If I move the Dongle to between USB ports, and try it
              again, all works well. I have also had the problem, come back later
              and I am able to connect. Don't ask me why, but at least my Dongle
              works. Now I just leave it pugged into the computer, open the serial
              port, and let it run. When I want to make a contact, I start the
              connection to the repeater, and all works great.

              Hopefuly this might help a few of you.

              73,

              Hank
              K9LZJ

              ______________
              > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
              > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

            • Doug Ferris
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 1, 2008
                Thanks for the help Robin.  My cell number is 619-520-1434

                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                  Good Morning Robin

                  Well this morning I uninstalled all programs and went step by step re-installing.  This is desktop.  And got it up and working on the Dongle.  When I pressed open it showed all the device info I then connected to a gateway and heard conversation..  Great .  I closed the program and went downstairs for a cup of joe and came back up.  Opened the jar file clicked open and now all I get is Cannot exec ambe server.  I turned off computer changed usb ports and same issue.

                  Thanks and we are making headway..

                  Doug
                  k6daf

                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferris <k6daf@...> wrote:

                    > Good Morning Robin
                    >
                    > Well this morning I uninstalled all programs and went step by step
                    re-installing. This is desktop. And got it up and working on the
                    Dongle. When I pressed open it showed all the device info I then
                    connected to a gateway and heard conversation.. Great . I closed
                    the program and went downstairs for a cup of joe and came back up.
                    Opened the jar file clicked open and now all I get is Cannot exec
                    ambe server. I turned off computer changed usb ports and same issue.

                    > Thanks and we are making headway..
                    >
                    > Doug
                    > k6daf

                    There seems to be something going on with your PATH environment
                    variable. Instead of using DVTool.jar, try dvtool.bat and if it
                    fails, send dvtool.txt and ascp.txt via email and I'll take a look.

                    Also, verify that you have the DVTool folder on your desktop, double
                    click on the folder to bring up a file explorer window, and use that
                    window to double click on programs.

                  • Doug Ferris
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                      Robin that worked.  I had moved the jar file to my desktop and out of the DVtool folder.  When I put it back in the DVtool folder and accessed it, it worked.  Thanks for your patience on this but we are now working on the gateway from the desktop and everyone says it sounds great.  Now I will tackle the laptop.

                      Thanks again

                      Doug

                      > Well this morning I uninstalled all programs and went step by step
                      re-installing. This is desktop. And got it up and working on the
                      Dongle. When I pressed open it showed all the device info I then
                      connected to a gateway and heard conversation. . Great . I closed
                      the program and went downstairs for a cup of joe and came back up.
                      Opened the jar file clicked open and now all I get is Cannot exec
                      ambe server. I turned off computer changed usb ports and same issue.

                      > Thanks and we are making headway..
                      >
                      > Doug
                      > k6daf

                      There seems to be something going on with your PATH environment
                      variable. Instead of using DVTool.jar, try dvtool.bat and if it
                      fails, send dvtool.txt and ascp.txt via email and I'll take a look.

                      Also, verify that you have the DVTool folder on your desktop, double
                      click on the folder to bring up a file explorer window, and use that
                      window to double click on programs.

                    • n4seg
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                        You might try the follow, if you are using a Windows platform:

                        Leave the jar file in the DVtool folder if it isn't already on your
                        desktop. Then find the jar file using Windows Explorer, right click on
                        the jar file, from the menu given select "Sent to". From that displayed
                        menu, select "Desktop (create shortcut)". Then on the desktop you can
                        rename"the shortcut created by right clicking on the shortcut and
                        selecting "Rename". You might want to rename it just "DVDongle" or
                        "D-Star".

                        That's how I have done it and it works fine.

                        N4SEG Steve G.

                        ________________________________________________________________________\
                        ____________

                      • k6daf@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                          Thanks Steve that worked great. I guess we are all in a learning mode. That's what is so great about our hobby the folks that you met and the help. Look forward to talking to you sometime on the dv dongle.

                          73
                          Doug
                          K6daf

                          __________________________________________________________\
                          ____________
                          > Be a better friend, newshound, and
                          http://mobile. <http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ> yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

                        • Greg Forrest
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                            I would like to connect the Dongle to one computer (server) on the Home LAN,
                            and be able to access it from other computers (clients) on the LAN.
                            Conditions:

                            Dongle is plugged into server; FTDI driver and JAVA are installed;
                            DVTOOL.jar/Dongle runs fine on server (I can connect to dstar systems).

                            DVTOOL is closed (not running) on server;

                            Windows Firewall disabled on server and client. I can ping server from
                            client, and visa versa.

                            On client, I checked Remote Host, entered the server's IP and default port
                            20002. DVTOOL on client reports "Cannot open device 192.168.0.16:20002".

                            When Dongle is connected to client, it runs fine.

                            Anyone have any ideas?

                            Greg Forrest
                            N6LDJ

                            W6YYY/W6UUU Trustee
                            440.0375 +5MHz Voice (Oakland, CA)
                            444.0375 +5MHz Voice (Pleasanton "Garage", CA)
                            925-337-4444
                            intermod@...
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                              --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Forrest" <intermod@...> wrote:

                              > I would like to connect the Dongle to one computer (server) on the
                              Home LAN,
                              > and be able to access it from other computers (clients) on the LAN.
                              > Conditions:
                              >
                              > Dongle is plugged into server; FTDI driver and JAVA are installed;
                              > DVTOOL.jar/Dongle runs fine on server (I can connect to dstar
                              systems).

                              > DVTOOL is closed (not running) on server;
                              >
                              > Windows Firewall disabled on server and client. I can ping server
                              from
                              > client, and visa versa.
                              >
                              > On client, I checked Remote Host, entered the server's IP and
                              default port
                              > 20002. DVTOOL on client reports "Cannot open device
                              192.168.0.16:20002".

                              > When Dongle is connected to client, it runs fine.
                              >
                              > Anyone have any ideas?
                              >

                              > Greg Forrest
                              > N6LDJ

                              Did you start the ascpseriald server program on the server?

                            • Greg Forrest
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
                                Had not. Just executed ascpseriald.exe now and it does not seem to run (in
                                XP); looks like it attempts to start (flashes up momentarily in Task
                                Manager) but then fails. I deleted the original ascp.txt, but a new one was
                                not created.

                                It could be running - am I looking for a process called aspc or similar?

                                Attached is the original ascp.txt which might help.

                                > Did you start the ascpseriald server program on the server?

                                Thanks for your help.

                                Greg
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
                                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Forrest" <intermod@...> wrote:

                                  > Had not. Just executed ascpseriald.exe now and it does not seem to
                                  run (in
                                  > XP); looks like it attempts to start (flashes up momentarily in Task
                                  > Manager) but then fails. I deleted the original ascp.txt, but a new
                                  one was
                                  > not created.

                                  Are you giving it the correct arguments? "ascpseriald COMn 20002"
                                  where "n" is your com port on the windows dongle server.

                                  Robin
                                • Greg Forrest
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
                                    That did it.

                                    I suspect I can place a bat file in the startup folder for this?

                                    Thanks for your time.

                                    Greg

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
                                      For the group:

                                      The reason I placed the Dongle on a different PC than the one running DVTOOL
                                      was to eliminate dropped connections. The Dongle was physically attached to
                                      a W2k/P4/2.4 GHz desktop machine what is running many other desktop
                                      applications. The Dongle connection would drop often (you would see red
                                      flashes on the Dongle LEDs before it disconnected).

                                      The Dongle is now connected to a headless file/music server (dual Xeon
                                      processors; SCSI drives). Has not dropped a connection yet - very solid.
                                      Also, now any computer on the LAN can the Dongle (one at a time).

                                      Greg

                                    • Adam Fast
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
                                        Good news.

                                        When I heard about this functionality I had a specific goal in mind,
                                        and I'm glad to report that it works with flying colors.

                                        As long as it's set up properly, you CAN share your dongle over the
                                        internet (to those you trust, of course)

                                        I have a machine with the dongle connected, and forwarded some ports
                                        through my firewall, and a friend has connected from HIS computer to
                                        my dongle, and it's working great. (he's about 90 miles away, out of
                                        our repeater coverage, and doesn't have a D-Star radio anyway)

                                        This opens some interesting doors for emergency comm. and we now have
                                        some further research to do with some of the things this can do.
                                        (Centralized dongle "pools" with high bandwidth for remote systems to
                                        use for checking in with?)

                                        Adam

                                        On Feb 3, 2008 4:43 PM, Greg Forrest <intermod@...> wrote:

                                        > For the group:
                                        >
                                        > The reason I placed the Dongle on a different PC than the one running
                                        > DVTOOL
                                        > was to eliminate dropped connections. The Dongle was physically attached to
                                        > a W2k/P4/2.4 GHz desktop machine what is running many other desktop
                                        > applications. The Dongle connection would drop often (you would see red
                                        > flashes on the Dongle LEDs before it disconnected).
                                        >
                                        > The Dongle is now connected to a headless file/music server (dual Xeon
                                        > processors; SCSI drives). Has not dropped a connection yet - very solid.
                                        > Also, now any computer on the LAN can the Dongle (one at a time).
                                        >
                                        > Greg

                                      • Doug Ferris
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
                                          Hi Robin

                                          Well we have touchdown on the laptop.  All is working fine after I uninstalled everything and loaded everything onto the desktop then access thru the DV tools folder then accessing the jar file.  I did get a better microphone for the laptop and it really made a difference on the quality of the voice.  Now we have both the desktop and laptop up and running.

                                          Question on the cable.  I want to get a shorter one as both location only need about six inches.  What do I need to look for?  Anything special as type of cable.

                                          Thanks again for your time on this..

                                          73
                                          Doug
                                          K6DAF

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
                                            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferris <k6daf@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Robin
                                            >
                                            > Well we have touchdown on the laptop. All is working fine after I
                                            uninstalled everything and loaded everything onto the desktop then
                                            access thru the DV tools folder then accessing the jar file. I did
                                            get a better microphone for the laptop and it really made a
                                            difference on the quality of the voice. Now we have both the desktop
                                            and laptop up and running.

                                            > Question on the cable. I want to get a shorter one as both
                                            location only need about six inches. What do I need to look for?
                                            Anything special as type of cable.

                                            Hi Doug. Good to hear you got things working. As for the cable, any
                                            USB A to Mini B 5 pin cable should work.