d star dvdongle

  • Bharathi
    Message 1 of 17 , May 21 7:10 AM
      hello group members
      I have purchased yesterday dv dongle from Dayton convention. i do not know its working or not. still iam not satisfied with this work. is there anyone can help me.
      till now i did not hear any station and did not work any station.
      bharathi vu2rbi
      Message 2 of 17 , May 21 7:28 AM
        Hi Bharathi. I see you are connected to REF038. I just connected in and there were no conversations there. You might try connecting to REF030 module C. It is very active.

        I'm currently monitoring REF030 module C and REF038 module C. Give a shout out... :)

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Bharathi" <bharathipd@...> wrote:

        > hello group members
        > I have purchased yesterday dv dongle from Dayton convention. i do not know its working or not. still iam not satisfied with this work. is there anyone can help me.
        > till now i did not hear any station and did not work any station.
        > bharathi vu2rbi

      • Ryan Kelzenberg
        Message 3 of 17 , May 21 7:58 AM
          The first step is to register on a D-star gateway and then wait to be approved.  You will then need to register your DVDongle on the gateway. It is suggested to register on a gateway that is close to your home.  Once you are approved you will be able to connect to reflectors and a variety of the gateways in the D-star network.

          There are some very nice tutorials available on the registration process that will help walk you through the process.

          Ryan Kelzenberg
          Sent from my Ipad

          On May 21, 2012, at 9:24 AM, Bharathi <bharathipd@...> wrote:

          hello group members
          I have purchased yesterday dv dongle from Dayton convention. i do not know its working or not. still iam not satisfied with this work. is there anyone can help me.
          till now i did not hear any station and did not work any station.
          bharathi vu2rbi

        • Dave Wickert
          Message 4 of 17 , May 23 3:02 PM
            I am a new user -- both to the DVDongle and to DStar.
            I registered myself and got the approval email from my local DStar repeater. So my call is good on the network.

            Question when running DVTool:
            The list of gateways is not being populated. Loopback audio is OK. Obviously the app returns an error when I try to connect. Any suggestions?
            Thanks.

            _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@...)

            Dave Wickert

            Message 5 of 17 , May 23 5:30 PM
              Hi Dave. Make sure that your callsign is entered in DVTool. Also, if you are not already running the latest beta, download it from:

              http://opendstar.org/tools/DVToolInstaller-2.0beta5.exe

              and run it to install. That version works much better.

              --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wickert <dwickert@...> wrote:

              > I am a new user -- both to the DVDongle and to DStar.I registered myself and got the approval email from my local DStar repeater. So my call is good on the network. Question when running DVTool:The list of gateways is not being populated. Loopback audio is OK. Obviously the app returns an error when I try to connect. Any suggestions?Thanks.
              >
              > _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@...)
              >
              > Dave Wickert

            • Ryan Kelzenberg
              Message 6 of 17 , May 23 6:06 PM
                If you have all that setup, in DVTool, once you enter in your
                callsign, connect to the DVDongle, you may have to change the list of
                Gateways from Favorites to all.

                --
                "..management works in the system, leadership works on the system."
                Stephen Covey
                Message 7 of 17 , May 23 8:28 PM
                  Thank you Robin.
                  After rebooting I was able to finally get a list of gateways (after saving with my call sign filled in :-) )
                  Still waiting for my first contact. Is there a reflector that aways has a lot of traffic for me to try this thing out on??

                  I tried loading the beta as you pointed to, and it installes OK. But when it starts in the dos box, it gets towards the end and then does not recognize that I have a DV Dongle attached. It gives me a popup dialog box saying that it cannot find a device. Although it is present and it USB beeps and unbeeps as I plug it in and out. So I do not know what the problem is.

                  _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@...)

                  Dave Wickert

                  To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                  From: aa4rc@...
                  Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 00:30:11 +0000
                  Subject: [DVDongle] Re: d star dvdongle

                  Hi Dave. Make sure that your callsign is entered in DVTool. Also, if you are not already running the latest beta, download it from:

                  http://opendstar.org/tools/DVToolInstaller-2.0beta5.exe

                  and run it to install. That version works much better.

                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wickert <dwickert@...> wrote:

                  > I am a new user -- both to the DVDongle and to DStar.I registered myself and got the approval email from my local DStar repeater. So my call is good on the network. Question when running DVTool:The list of gateways is not being populated. Loopback audio is OK. Obviously the app returns an error when I try to connect. Any suggestions?Thanks.
                  >
                  > _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@...)
                  >
                  > Dave Wickert

                • Dave Wickert
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 23 10:12 PM
                    After a few reboot, I was able to get 1.05 to connect to some reflectors and from time to time I could hear some weird stuff. I could see seem calls come across, but everyone sounded like daffy duck :-)  so I do not exactly know what is the problem.

                    This is a fast 64-bit laptop (Lenovo W520, quad core w/ 16GB memory).

                    2.0B5 still does not see the DV Dongle.

                    Thanks.

                    _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@...)

                    Dave Wickert

                    To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                    From: ryan.kelzenberg@...
                    Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:06:31 -0500
                    Subject: Re: [DVDongle] Re: d star dvdongle

                    --
                    "..management works in the system, leadership works on the system."
                    Stephen Covey

                  • Tom Haylock
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 24 1:55 AM
                      Hi Robin
                      I from new have never been happy with my dongle as even with a new PC but still running XP Pro it still runs intimately in that seldom do I get any sound out of it.
                      Yes it works but I can search all over, but most repeaters are dead.
                      How can I or were can I find info that a repeater is active so I can try and trace why I have such low activity on my dongle?.
                      Have you seen the rubbish that comes up when you search for DVTools http://www.waterontheweb.org/data/dvtools/index.html and many more.
                      When you say, Make sure that your callsign is entered in DVTools, how or were?
                      Thanks for any help
                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 24 6:39 AM
                        Hi Tom. There is a box with the label "My Callsign" right at the top.

                        You can see activity on http://www.dstarusers.org Also REF030 module C and REF014 module C are fairly active.

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 24 6:41 AM
                          Hi Dave. Are you running Windows 7 64? There is a known bug in the FTDI USB drivers that only partially populates the registry entry for USB serial devices on some systems. I'm working on a workaround for beta6.

                          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wickert <dwickert@...> wrote:

                          > After a few reboot, I was able to get 1.05 to connect to some reflectors and from time to time I could hear some weird stuff. I could see seem calls come across, but everyone sounded like daffy duck :-) so I do not exactly know what is the problem. This is a fast 64-bit laptop (Lenovo W520, quad core w/ 16GB memory). 2.0B5 still does not see the DV Dongle. Thanks.
                          >
                          > _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@...)
                          >
                          > Dave Wickert
                          >

                          > To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: ryan.kelzenberg@...
                          > Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:06:31 -0500
                          > Subject: Re: [DVDongle] Re: d star dvdongle

                          > If you have all that setup, in DVTool, once you enter in your
                          >
                          > callsign, connect to the DVDongle, you may have to change the list of
                          >
                          > Gateways from Favorites to all.
                          >

                          > On 5/23/12, aa4rc <aa4rc@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hi Dave. Make sure that your callsign is entered in DVTool. Also, if you
                          >
                          > > are not already running the latest beta, download it from:
                          >

                          > > http://opendstar.org/tools/DVToolInstaller-2.0beta5.exe
                          >

                          > > and run it to install. That version works much better.

                          > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wickert <dwickert@> wrote:
                          >

                          > >> I am a new user -- both to the DVDongle and to DStar.I registered myself
                          >
                          > >> and got the approval email from my local DStar repeater. So my call is
                          >
                          > >> good on the network. Question when running DVTool:The list of gateways is
                          >
                          > >> not being populated. Loopback audio is OK. Obviously the app returns an
                          >
                          > >> error when I try to connect. Any suggestions?Thanks.
                          >

                          > >> _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@)
                          >

                          > >> Dave Wickert
                          >

                          > --
                          >
                          > "..management works in the system, leadership works on the system."
                          >
                          > Stephen Covey

                        • Ryan Kelzenberg
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 24 6:52 AM
                            Here is a nice list of all the reflectors

                            Re001c is very active and lined to many repeaters.

                            Ryan Kelzenberg
                            Sent from my Ipad

                            To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                            From: aa4rc@...
                            Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 00:30:11 +0000

                            Hi Dave. Make sure that your callsign is entered in DVTool. Also, if you are not already running the latest beta, download it from:

                            http://opendstar.org/tools/DVToolInstaller-2.0beta5.exe

                            and run it to install. That version works much better.

                            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wickert <dwickert@...> wrote:

                            > I am a new user -- both to the DVDongle and to DStar.I registered myself and got the approval email from my local DStar repeater. So my call is good on the network. Question when running DVTool:The list of gateways is not being populated. Loopback audio is OK. Obviously the app returns an error when I try to connect. Any suggestions?Thanks.
                            >
                            > _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@...)
                            >
                            > Dave Wickert

                          • Dave Wickert
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 24 9:41 AM
                              Yup. Win7 64-bit. I will hold off for beta6 then.

                              _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@...)

                              Dave Wickert

                              To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                              From: aa4rc@...
                              Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 13:41:22 +0000

                              Hi Dave. Are you running Windows 7 64? There is a known bug in the FTDI USB drivers that only partially populates the registry entry for USB serial devices on some systems. I'm working on a workaround for beta6.

                              --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wickert <dwickert@...> wrote:

                              > After a few reboot, I was able to get 1.05 to connect to some reflectors and from time to time I could hear some weird stuff. I could see seem calls come across, but everyone sounded like daffy duck :-) so I do not exactly know what is the problem. This is a fast 64-bit laptop (Lenovo W520, quad core w/ 16GB memory). 2.0B5 still does not see the DV Dongle. Thanks.
                              >
                              > _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@...)
                              >
                              > Dave Wickert
                              >

                              > To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                              > From: ryan.kelzenberg@...
                              > Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:06:31 -0500
                              > Subject: Re: [DVDongle] Re: d star dvdongle

                              > If you have all that setup, in DVTool, once you enter in your
                              >
                              > callsign, connect to the DVDongle, you may have to change the list of
                              >
                              > Gateways from Favorites to all.
                              >

                              > On 5/23/12, aa4rc <aa4rc@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Hi Dave. Make sure that your callsign is entered in DVTool. Also, if you
                              >
                              > > are not already running the latest beta, download it from:
                              >

                              > > http://opendstar.org/tools/DVToolInstaller-2.0beta5.exe
                              >

                              > > and run it to install. That version works much better.

                              > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wickert <dwickert@> wrote:
                              >

                              > >> I am a new user -- both to the DVDongle and to DStar.I registered myself
                              >
                              > >> and got the approval email from my local DStar repeater. So my call is
                              >
                              > >> good on the network. Question when running DVTool:The list of gateways is
                              >
                              > >> not being populated. Loopback audio is OK. Obviously the app returns an
                              >
                              > >> error when I try to connect. Any suggestions?Thanks.
                              >

                              > >> _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@)
                              >

                              > >> Dave Wickert
                              >

                              > --
                              >
                              > "..management works in the system, leadership works on the system."
                              >
                              > Stephen Covey

                            • Auto_Prof1
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 24 11:37 AM
                                Just a note, Reflector 001-C has been down since Thursday or Friday of last week.

                                Chip - K9MIT

                                From: aa4rc@...
                                Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 00:30:11 +0000

                                Hi Dave. Make sure that your callsign is entered in DVTool. Also, if you are not already running the latest beta, download it from:

                                http://opendstar.org/tools/DVToolInstaller-2.0beta5.exe

                                and run it to install. That version works much better.

                                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wickert <dwickert@...> wrote:

                                > I am a new user -- both to the DVDongle and to DStar.I registered myself and got the approval email from my local DStar repeater. So my call is good on the network. Question when running DVTool:The list of gateways is not being populated. Loopback audio is OK. Obviously the app returns an error when I try to connect. Any suggestions?Thanks.
                                >
                                > _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@...)
                                >
                                > Dave Wickert

                              • N4ULE
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 24 12:07 PM
                                  I am running DVTool 2.0beta5 on my Windows 7-64 Pro with no trouble. Guess I am just one of the lucky ones.
                                  Jim Quick N4ULE / NNN0KCS
                                  n4ule@...
                                  nnn0kcs@...
                                  http://n4ule.com

                                  To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: aa4rc@...
                                  Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 13:41:22 +0000

                                  Hi Dave. Are you running Windows 7 64? There is a known bug in the FTDI USB drivers that only partially populates the registry entry for USB serial devices on some systems. I'm working on a workaround for beta6.

                                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wickert <dwickert@...> wrote:

                                  > After a few reboot, I was able to get 1.05 to connect to some reflectors and from time to time I could hear some weird stuff. I could see seem calls come across, but everyone sounded like daffy duck :-) so I do not exactly know what is the problem. This is a fast 64-bit laptop (Lenovo W520, quad core w/ 16GB memory). 2.0B5 still does not see the DV Dongle. Thanks.
                                  >
                                  > _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@...)
                                  >
                                  > Dave Wickert
                                  >

                                  > To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                                  > From: ryan.kelzenberg@...
                                  > Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:06:31 -0500
                                  > Subject: Re: [DVDongle] Re: d star dvdongle

                                  > If you have all that setup, in DVTool, once you enter in your
                                  >
                                  > callsign, connect to the DVDongle, you may have to change the list of
                                  >
                                  > Gateways from Favorites to all.
                                  >

                                  > On 5/23/12, aa4rc <aa4rc@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Hi Dave. Make sure that your callsign is entered in DVTool. Also, if you
                                  >
                                  > > are not already running the latest beta, download it from:
                                  >

                                  > > http://opendstar.org/tools/DVToolInstaller-2.0beta5.exe
                                  >

                                  > > and run it to install. That version works much better.

                                  > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wickert <dwickert@> wrote:
                                  >

                                  > >> I am a new user -- both to the DVDongle and to DStar.I registered myself
                                  >
                                  > >> and got the approval email from my local DStar repeater. So my call is
                                  >
                                  > >> good on the network. Question when running DVTool:The list of gateways is
                                  >
                                  > >> not being populated. Loopback audio is OK. Obviously the app returns an
                                  >
                                  > >> error when I try to connect. Any suggestions?Thanks.
                                  >

                                  > >> _-_-_ Dave, AE7TD (AE7TD@)
                                  >

                                  > >> Dave Wickert
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > "..management works in the system, leadership works on the system."
                                  >
                                  > Stephen Covey

                                • Gary Plano
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 25 8:02 AM
                                    Ryan,
                                    Thanks, the beta5 runs great.
                                    Regards,
                                    Gary
                                    W2CEA

                                    --
                                    "..management works in the system, leadership works on the system."
                                    Stephen Covey

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                        DVDongle-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                        DVDongle-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 26 8:15 AM
                                      Hi Dave. Please download:

                                      http://opendstar.org/tools/listvcp.exe

                                      and run it from the command line using "listvcp -v".

                                      Then send the output to me directly. That will verify that you have the FTDI driver bug.

                                      Anyone else that has this "not found" issue, please do the same.

                                      Thanks,