Mac Lion

  • christophermatthieu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 27, 2012
      Hi Robin,

      Here is an interested issue for you. I have 2 Macs running Lion (MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air). Both are running the latest ftdichip drivers. My MBP works fine with the DV Dongle but the MBA does not. It connects just fine and then times out shortly thereafter. The blue light disappears.

      This could be the example that helps us Mac users diagnose the FTDI issue. Do you have any advice on determining the difference in these two installations?

      Thanks,
      Chris
    • Daniel Codianni
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 27, 2012
        Hi,

        Fantastic observation! The same occurs with my MBA. Look forward to hearing the responses of others.

        73

        kd2alv
      • Jeffrey Kamen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 27, 2012
          Question about that. Can you let us know if your MBP's version is an upgrade from Snow Leopard or Leopard versus a clean install of Lion?

          My mid 2009 MBP with a clean install of Lion has the issue where the dongle locks up. I don't have an upgraded Mac to test my theory on, however.

          Jeff (NY1M)

          DISCLAIMER: This e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments.
        • Armando
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 28, 2012
            Hi Chris,
            I have a MBA too with Lion and my DVDongle and DVAP Dongle both work fine.
            As asked by someone else here, my MBA was Snow Leopard and I installed Lion as the regular update.
            So my drivers were still there when I upgraded to Lion.

            Hope this might help your analysis.
            73's de Armando, IK2XYP.

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "christophermatthieu" <chris@...> wrote:

            > Hi Robin,
            >
            > Here is an interested issue for you. I have 2 Macs running Lion (MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air). Both are running the latest ftdichip drivers. My MBP works fine with the DV Dongle but the MBA does not. It connects just fine and then times out shortly thereafter. The blue light disappears.
            >
            > This could be the example that helps us Mac users diagnose the FTDI issue. Do you have any advice on determining the difference in these two installations?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Chris

          • christophermatthieu
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 29, 2012
              I may have spoken too soon. My MBP simply runs longer but still times out 5 minutes after opening it on dvtool as opposed to seconds n my MBA. I have tried dvtool4 and dvtool5 with the same result.

              Note: dvtool4 previously worked fine on snow leopard. Both of my macs were upgraded from snow leopard.

              I spoke to a friend of mine using the same ftdi drivers on Lion with Arduino projects and he says it's working fine for him. Perhaps we are using it differently.

              Hope this helps...

              73s
              Chris
              N7ICE

              --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "christophermatthieu" <chris@...> wrote:

              > Hi Robin,
              >
              > Here is an interested issue for you. I have 2 Macs running Lion (MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air). Both are running the latest ftdichip drivers. My MBP works fine with the DV Dongle but the MBA does not. It connects just fine and then times out shortly thereafter. The blue light disappears.
              >
              > This could be the example that helps us Mac users diagnose the FTDI issue. Do you have any advice on determining the difference in these two installations?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Chris

            • kg8oc
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 29, 2012
                My Mac does the same thing under Lion. The dongle software is still working after the dongle goes back to just the green light flashing slowly. I can still see the name of the person talking on the software, it's just the dongle can't hold it's connection to the software. The software still thinks it's connected to the dongle when it isn't anymore.

                73s Tim KG8OC

                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "christophermatthieu" <chris@...> wrote:

                > I may have spoken too soon. My MBP simply runs longer but still times out 5 minutes after opening it on dvtool as opposed to seconds n my MBA. I have tried dvtool4 and dvtool5 with the same result.
                >
                > Note: dvtool4 previously worked fine on snow leopard. Both of my macs were upgraded from snow leopard.
                >
                > I spoke to a friend of mine using the same ftdi drivers on Lion with Arduino projects and he says it's working fine for him. Perhaps we are using it differently.
                >
                > Hope this helps...
                >
                > 73s
                > Chris
                > N7ICE
                >

                > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "christophermatthieu" <chris@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Robin,
                > >
                > > Here is an interested issue for you. I have 2 Macs running Lion (MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air). Both are running the latest ftdichip drivers. My MBP works fine with the DV Dongle but the MBA does not. It connects just fine and then times out shortly thereafter. The blue light disappears.
                > >
                > > This could be the example that helps us Mac users diagnose the FTDI issue. Do you have any advice on determining the difference in these two installations?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Chris

              • w5bsg
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 10, 2012
                  I want to add another data point to this discussion. I too am having the same issue of the dongle apparently losing connectivity (slow blinking green led) after only a few seconds of operation. I am a new Dongle user who just installed it this week, so I don't have the experience of success under Snow Leopard others have. I am using a Macbook Air with Lion (all the latest updates) and 2.0b5 of the DVTool software. I have tried updating the FTDI drivers (interestingly, the install package references up to 10.6 but not 10.7) and even uninstalling and reinstalling the DVTool package to no avail.

                  73,

                  Scott
                  W5BSG

                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "kg8oc" <timkg8oc@...> wrote:

                  > My Mac does the same thing under Lion. The dongle software is still working after the dongle goes back to just the green light flashing slowly. I can still see the name of the person talking on the software, it's just the dongle can't hold it's connection to the software. The software still thinks it's connected to the dongle when it isn't anymore.
                  >
                  > 73s Tim KG8OC
                  >
                  > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "christophermatthieu" <chris@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I may have spoken too soon. My MBP simply runs longer but still times out 5 minutes after opening it on dvtool as opposed to seconds n my MBA. I have tried dvtool4 and dvtool5 with the same result.
                  > >
                  > > Note: dvtool4 previously worked fine on snow leopard. Both of my macs were upgraded from snow leopard.
                  > >
                  > > I spoke to a friend of mine using the same ftdi drivers on Lion with Arduino projects and he says it's working fine for him. Perhaps we are using it differently.
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps...
                  > >
                  > > 73s
                  > > Chris
                  > > N7ICE
                  > >

                  > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "christophermatthieu" <chris@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Robin,
                  > > >
                  > > > Here is an interested issue for you. I have 2 Macs running Lion (MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air). Both are running the latest ftdichip drivers. My MBP works fine with the DV Dongle but the MBA does not. It connects just fine and then times out shortly thereafter. The blue light disappears.
                  > > >
                  > > > This could be the example that helps us Mac users diagnose the FTDI issue. Do you have any advice on determining the difference in these two installations?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > > Chris

                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
                    I have this same problem on one of my MACs (MBP) all of the others, works fine. I am wondering it is not a driver issue. The MBP with the problem is the only one that I had to load the drivers to get it to work. The others, they worked fine without the drivers needing to be installed. That makes no sense to me.

                    I have seen there are a number of others experiencing the same issue.

                    Mark
                    WB5SLA

                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "christophermatthieu" <chris@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Robin,
                    >
                    > Here is an interested issue for you. I have 2 Macs running Lion (MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air). Both are running the latest ftdichip drivers. My MBP works fine with the DV Dongle but the MBA does not. It connects just fine and then times out shortly thereafter. The blue light disappears.
                    >
                    > This could be the example that helps us Mac users diagnose the FTDI issue. Do you have any advice on determining the difference in these two installations?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Chris

                  • Mark
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
                      Armando,
                      Did you load the drivers on your MBA? Or, did you have to in order to get the tool to see the dongle?

                      Mark
                      WB5SLA

                      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Armando" <ik2xyp@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Chris,
                      > I have a MBA too with Lion and my DVDongle and DVAP Dongle both work fine.
                      > As asked by someone else here, my MBA was Snow Leopard and I installed Lion as the regular update.
                      > So my drivers were still there when I upgraded to Lion.
                      >
                      > Hope this might help your analysis.
                      > 73's de Armando, IK2XYP.
                      >
                      > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "christophermatthieu" <chris@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Robin,
                      > >
                      > > Here is an interested issue for you. I have 2 Macs running Lion (MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air). Both are running the latest ftdichip drivers. My MBP works fine with the DV Dongle but the MBA does not. It connects just fine and then times out shortly thereafter. The blue light disappears.
                      > >
                      > > This could be the example that helps us Mac users diagnose the FTDI issue. Do you have any advice on determining the difference in these two installations?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Chris

                    • Daniel Codianni
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 12, 2012